SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Armor Must Be Kept On by Willliam Gurnall

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Joyful_Heart

The Armor Must Be Kept On by Willliam Gurnall

The Christian's armor is made to be worn-no taking it off until you have finished your course. Your armor and your garment of flesh come off together. Then there will be no more need of shield or helmet, no more late night watches. Those military duties and field graces-as I may call faith, hope, and the rest-shall be honorably discharged. In Heaven you shall appear, not in armor, but in robes of glory.

Nevertheless, for the present you must wear your assigned suit night and day. You must walk, work, and sleep in it or you are not a true soldier of Christ. Paul set himself a goal: "Herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and toward men" (Acts 24:16). Here we see this holy man at his arms, training like a true soldier, his own heart the target range on which he practices all the graces in preparation for battle. We have ample reasons to conduct ourselves in like manner.

For one thing, Christ commands it. He tells us to have our armor on, our grace in action: "Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning" (Luke 12:35). He speaks as a general to his soldiers: "Oil your armor; light your torch; be ready to march. Prepare to fight at the first alarm of temptation!" Again He speaks, this time as a master to his servants: "If the lord of the manor is called away and the hour of his return uncertain, will a faithful servant bolt the door, douse the fire, and retire? No, he will stand watch through the night, ready to greet the master whenever he comes. " Meaning, it is not fit for the Master to stand at our heart's door knocking, and find our graces sleeping.

Every duty of the Christian demands this constant effort.

Pray he must, but how? "Without ceasing."

Rejoice, but when? "evermore."

Give thanks-for what? "In everything"

(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). We must hold our shield of faith and helmet of hope to the very end (Ephesians 6:16-17).

2011/1/26 11:56Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re: The Armor Must Be Kept On by Willliam Gurnall

"Nevertheless, for the present you must wear your assigned suit night and day. You must walk, work, and sleep in it or you are not a true soldier of Christ."

That's really good. Amen, thanks for posting this.

-Mike W.

2011/1/26 12:21Profile
blandina

Re: Jesus Christ is our Armor

If you take off your armor you take off Christ.

The Lord is my helmet of Salvation.
Exo 15:2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation:

The Lord is my Breastplate of Righteousness.
1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption

The Lord is my belt of Truth.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The Lord is the "shoes" of peace I wear. He is the Gospel, He is my peace.
Eph 2:14 For he is our peace

He is my Shield
2Sa 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield,

Yes, when we take off our armor we take off Jesus Christ.

Rom 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Untried and unproven armor, I will not wear.
1Sa 17:38 And Saul armed David with his armour, and he put an helmet of brass upon his head; also he armed him with a coat of mail.

Man's ways cannot protect us, impart faith, provide salvation, give us peace or establish us in righteousness.

1Sa 17:39 And David girded his sword upon his armour, and he assayed to go; for he had not proved it. And David said unto Saul, I cannot go with these; for I have not proved them. And David put them off him.

Put off all of man's ways and take a stone that the builders rejected.

1Sa 17:40 And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine.

Isa 52:1 Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.

He is the garment that I put on.

Put on Jesus!

Thank you Jesus for apart from you I can do nothing.

2011/1/26 12:59Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Thank you for this blandina. Amen and glory to God!

2011/1/26 13:03Profile
blandina

Re:

Yes, dear Saint, it is all Jesus. Never was anything else. Vain is the "armor" of man.

2011/1/26 13:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy