SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Article: The Anger of the Lord

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Article: The Anger of the Lord

Some of you may know that I've been working on an artical called "The Anger of the Lord". It took longer then I anticipated, but it is well worth it. I believe it is the heaviest artical I have written, and it will not be well accepted by either the world or the church. But if just one person is blessed by this it makes it all worth it. Feel free to print this off or email it to whoever you feel the Lord may have you to.

Some of my other articals are available at:
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=304

The Anger of the Lord
By Jesse Morrell

The greatest privilege that I have been giving by the Lord is the opportunity to preach the gospel of forgiveness every week. Although I may not speak inside a church building every week to those who are saved, I am able to go out into the open-air and proclaim the truth of God to the condemned. Usually I only hear the true gospel preached from street preachers now a day but there are a few exceptions. We are living in a time of a backslidden church that has her eyes on the very same ends that the eyes of the world are on: privilege, prestige, popularity, and prosperity. Because of the many itching ear pew dwellers that sit in the churches, there are those in the pulpits itch those ears for their own personal gain rather then to convict the hearts of their hearers with the truth of God. Due to all this, the truth that the bible teaches is usually very different from what many churches are teaching. Candy may be sweet to your tooth, but it is unhealthy to your body. The meat of God may be hard to chew on at times, but it’s what we need.

Nice lovely pleasant to my heart and ear messages is what is plaguing the church! Appearing to be helpful it is truly harmful. Its appearance of being non-threatening is what makes it such a threat. As inoffensive it is to man, it is an offense to God because preaching like that is the most comfortable way to kill the church! It makes the church feel good while it dies. You commit spiritual suicide when you decided to attend a church that makes you feel comfortable as opposed to convicted. Rather then curing the blind eyes of the church by showing it reality, we put a bandage over the eyes of the church to hide their infirmity and bring comfort to their flesh. What will wake up the church from its deep slumber which it has fallen into? The cure we need is to hear confronting, convicting, and correcting messages or else sin won’t be confronted, sinners won’t be convicted, and lives won’t be corrected! Sure some people won’t like it. Some people will hate it. In fact, most people will hate it. But I have learned that no matter what you say, how you say it, or where you say it, there will always be somebody, somewhere, who doesn’t like it for some reason. If only we started preaching the truth and didn’t worry how people would respond to it. If only we were like Stephen in the book of Acts when he preached and put ours eyes on Jesus at the throne rather then putting our eyes on the people in front of us, maybe then we would see great moving of God. You will never please the audience of One until you perform for the audience of One.

Ian Paisley said “I want to tell you friend that if we ever needed to speak out strongly we need to speak out today. If we ever needed to battle against sin and ungodliness in the age, we need to battle against it now. This is not a day to go conforming to the world. This is a day to go to the Jordon to bath. And when you die to what the world thinks about you. And when you die to what you brethren think about you. And when you die to what your neighbors think about you, and you rise to walk in newness of life then God will bless you as a Christian.” The church is so blind as to not see that weak messages produce weak converts, but strong messages produce strong converts.

“God is love” is a message we have all heard countless times. “God is love” and “God loves you” is preached so often that I think maybe some churches don’t have any other messages. Everybody from saints to sinners absolutely love to hear this message. Politicians, prostitutes, and every type of pleasure pursuer delight in the message that “God is love”. However there is another message that the bible has which is not so well received among sinful men. That message is that “God is angry”. These two messages are not opposed one to the other as some people assume. They are two sides to the same coin. The biblical truth that “God is love” and “God is angry” are so tightly connected that I do not believe you can remove them from each other. It is not the one or the other as I can see how some may believe. Rather, because God loves godliness, He is angry when ungodliness is committed. Because God loves righteousness, He is angry when unrighteousness is committed. Because God loves the truth, He is angered when lies are taught. His love is the source of His holiness, His justice, and His anger.

One of the last teachings sinners and a backslidden church wants to hear is a message that “God is angry” but I’ll preach it anyways. “And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead.” Acts 10:42. If we do not preach that, then we do not preach at all. We can not deny the truth that “God is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked every day.” (Ps 7:11). Keith Green made a great point when he said “We often hear people say ‘I’m tried of hell-fire and brimstone preaching.’ Well I often reply to them ‘when was the last time you ever heard any?” The deadly waves of false teaching have flooded the church today and many are downing in false comfort as a result. The message of the anger and the wrath of our offended God certainly are very rarely, if ever, preached on today and yet the greatest threat to sinners is God Himself! That is exactly why this message is on the anger of the Lord.

There are four questions I am seeking to answer:

1) Is the anger of God biblical and towards who is it directed?

2) How often is the Lord provoked to anger?

3) How will God’s anger affect wicked men?

4) Will the anger of God burn forever?

1) Is the anger of God biblical and towards who is it directed?

The scriptures make it abundantly clear that our God is at times an angry God. Deut. 4:21, 2Sa 22:8, 1Ki 11:9, 2Ki 17:18, 2Ch 28:9, Ps 7:11, Ps 18:7, Zec 1:2, Lu 14:21, Heb 3:10. Time and time again throughout the scriptures we are told about the anger of God. Any Christian, who knows his bible as he ought to, can not deny this fact even if he wanted to. All truths that the scriptures declare must be accepted by the church or the church fails to be the church. If we do not accept all the truth of God then we fall into idolatry, picking and choosing what to believe and inevitably making up a false god in the realm of imagination.

Genesis 1:27 says “So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.” God is not void of emotion. We were created in the image of God and feel the same emotions that God feels and God feels all emotions. He doesn’t have the emotion of joy and gladness only but He also gets angry. The reason we ourselves are angered when we see an obvious injustice is because we were created in Gods image. To believe that God does not feel emotion, even the emotion of anger, is not to believe in the scriptures. Although anger usually seems to have a negative connotation to it, it is not always negative. Even Christians are told “Be angry, and sin not.” Eph 4:26. What you do with you anger may be negative, more then being negative it may be sin, but righteous anger is of God.

There are those today that teach that God was different in the Old Testament then He is today. I myself once entertained the thought that maybe the God of the Old Testament was angry while the God of the New Testament was not so. Although some preachers may teach that in congregations all over America and other countries right now, lets ask ourselves “what does the bible say”? Malachi 3:6 says “For I am the Lord, I do not change.” The Lord is the same yesterday, today, and forever! God doesn’t change. From age to age He’s still the same. The Lord is a rock. He is solid. He does not change like soft clay. His character is the same now after the birth of Christ as it was before the birth of Christ. As much as the Lord rejoices at times, for example when sinners repent, He is still the same yesterday today and forever. If He had changed once, then He may change again but He doesn’t change! The only thing that seemed to have change is our view of Him. The Lord of the Old Testament is still the God of the New Testament. The same God that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and flooded the earth with water is the same God that reigns from Heaven today.

There are also New Testament examples of the anger of God. Luke 14:21 is one of them. In this parable, the Lord sent His servant to go and invited certain people to come to a great supper, but those whom were invited all made excuses. “So that servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house, being angry, said to his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and the maimed and the lame and the blind.”

Towards who is Gods anger directed? It is a common misconception that God is angry with sin but He is not angry sinners. However God is angry with sin and also with sinners themselves. A man does not merely get angry with deadly poison; he gets angry with the snake from which it comes. Romans 1:18 tells us that God is against sin. “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,” Then Romans 2:2 tells us that God is against the sinners themselves also. “But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things.” So the Lord is against sin and sinners.
Zeph. 4-6 says “I will stretch out My hand against…those who have turned back from following the Lord”. The prophets would say things like “The word of the Lord is against you.” Young Jeremiah said “"The Lord sent me to prophesy against this house and against this city”. Jer 26:12. Ezekiel said “thus says the Lord God: 'Indeed I, even I, am against you” Eze 5:8. God would often send people to preach against a certain place or to preach against a certain people. Some examples: Isa 21:13, 22:1, 23:1, Jer 1:18, 22:7, 21:13, 23:2, 26:12, 36:2, 44:11, 50:31, 51:25, 51:62, Eze 4:3, 4:7, 5:8, 5:16, 5:17, 6:3, 7:3, 13:8, 13:9, 13:20, 14:8, 15:7,16:27, 21:3, 21:31, 23:22, 23:25, 25:7, 26:3, 28:22, 29:3, 29:10, 35:3, 38:3, 39:1, Am 3:1, 5:1, 6:14, Mic 1:2, 2:3, Na 2:13, 3:5, Hab 2:16, Zep 2:5, Mal 3:5, Ho 4:1. Because sinners are for ungodliness, God is against the ungodly. He is against all those who are against Him.

Malachi 3:5 says “And I will come near you for judgment; I will be a swift witness against sorcerers, against adulterers, against perjurers, against those who exploit wage earners and widows and orphans, and against those who turn away an alien because they do not fear me. Says the Lord of hosts.” God is not only against sorceries, God is against sorcerers. God is not only against adulteries, God is against adulterers. God is not only against perjury, God is against perjurers. That applies to all sin. God is not only against drunkenness, God is against drunkards. God is not only against homosexuality, God is against homosexuals. Even Peter wrote “But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." 1 Peter 3:12. Notice Peter doesn’t say “The face of the Lord is against evil” as true as that statement would be. Rather Peter wrote “The face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

Jesus Christ not only preached against sin, but our Master preached against sinners. Jesus did not say “Woe to hypocrisy” but He said “Woe to you… hypocrites” Matt 23:13. “And they sought to lay hands on Him, but feared the multitude, for they knew He had spoken the parable against them.” Mark 12:12. Christ also preached against cities just like the prophets of old by pronouncing their woes. “Then He began to rebuke the cities in which most of His mighty works had been done, because they did not repent” Matt 11:20. Jesus also commanded His disciples to speak against people and places. “And whoever will not receive you, when you go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet as a testimony against them." Luke 9:5. Stephen in the book of acts not only preached against sin but also against sinners, and that is what got him killed. He said “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears. You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you. Which of the prophets did our fathers not persecute? And they killed those who foretold the coming of the Just One, of whom you now have become the betrayers and murderers. Who have received the law by the direction of angels and have not kept it.” Acts 7:51-53.

It was 1845 when E. W. Hengstenberg wrote regarding Psalms 7:11. He wrote “The prophet takes a lesson from a coarse human similitude, in order that he might inspire terror unto the ungodly. For he speaks against stupid and hardened people, who would not apprehend the reality of a divine judgment of which he had just spoken; but they might possibly be brought to consider this by greater earnestness on the part of man.”

Those today that are like Jesus and follow in His footsteps for ministry are not being treated any better then Jesus was. Acceptance by God often is accompanied by rejection by man. It is true that there are few people today that preach against sin and sinners and those who do so are certainly not on America’s most popular preachers list. David Wilkerson wrote this, “I tell you, America has become sick! You can’t tell me that God isn’t angry, that He’s simply overlooking it all. I once received a note from a well-known evangelist that read, “Don’t speak against America. Her best days are ahead. God is pleased!” No! That is exactly what the Bible says the false prophets will claim in the last days!”

We seem to have it all wrong today! What can the current church do with a scripture like Ps 5:5 that says “God hates all workers of iniquity” considering modern messages? We say “God hates sin but loves the sinner.” So what do you do with Ps 5:5? It certainly throws a wrench into our theological gears. Leonard Ravenhill said in an interview right before he died “the menace of many of our meetings is; we are trying to get people saved who don’t know their lost. ‘Come forward. The Lord loves you. The Lord loves you.’ The Lord hates you! Instead of a bumper stick ‘God loves you’, ‘God is angry with the wicked everyday’ (Ps 7:11) or ‘The wicked shall be turned into hell.’ (Ps 9:17)” That is what a man of God said after roughly 70 years of being in the ministry. No one can deny his experience, so there are some important truths to learn from that quote.

I only wish that I could begin to explain the mysteries of God, but I cannot adequately do so. As large ships need large rivers to sail through and can not move in small rivers, the fullness of the truth of God can not be fully comprehended by our shallow minds. Let me appeal to men greater then I to help us understand. In C. H Spurgeon’s “A Treasury of David” he has a quote from William Gurnall for Ps 5:5. William Gurnall (author of Christian in Complete Armor) wrote this, “Thou hatest all workers of iniquity.’ For what God thinks of sin, see Deut vii. 22; Prov. vi.16; Rev. ii. 6,15; where he expresseth his detestation and hatred of it, from which hatred proceeds all those direful plagues and judgments thundered from the fiery mouth of his most holy law against it; nay, not only the work, but worker also of iniquity becomes the object of his hatred.”

Spurgeon also put a quote from David Clarkson, B.D. 1621-1686, in his commentaries who said, “Those whom the Lord hates must perish. But he hates impenitent sinners, “Thou hatest all workers of iniquity.” Now, who are so properly workers of iniquity as those who are so eager at it that they will not leave this work, though they be in danger to perish for it? Christ puts it out of doubt. The workers of iniquity must perish. Luke xiii. 27. Those whom the Lord will tear in his wrath must perish with a witness; but those whom he hates, he tears &c. Job xvi. 8. What more due to such impenitent sinners than hatred! What more proper than wrath, since they treasure up wrath? Rom ii. Will he entertain those in the bosom of love whom his soul hates? No; destruction is their portion. Prov. Xxi. 15. If all the curses of the law, all the threatening of the gospel, all the judgments in earth or in hell, will be the ruin of him, he must perish. If the Lord’s arm be strong enough to wound him dead, he must die. Psalms lxviii. 21…… Avoid all that Christ hates. If you love, approve, entertain that which is hateful to Christ, how can he love you? What is that which Christ hates? The psalmist (Psalm xlv. 7) tells us, making it one of Christ’s attributes, to hate wickedness…. as Christ hates iniquity, so the ‘workers of iniquity." You must not love them, so as to be intimate with them, delight in the company of evil doers, openly profane, scorners of godliness, obstructers of the power of it. 2 Cor. vi. 14-18. If you love so near relations to wicked men, Christ will have no relation to you. If you would have communion with Christ in sweet acts of love, you must have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, or those that act them.”

Sin and sinners are both opposed to the Lord. God will not only cast sin into the fires of hell, but He Himself will cast sinners into the fires of hell. The Law is opposed to criminals who commit crimes, and are not just opposed to the crimes themselves. Rev. 21:8 says “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” It does not say that “cowardice, murders, fornication, adultery, idolatry, and lies will be tossed into the lake of fire”, but cowards, murderers, fornicators, adulterers, idolaters! You must pull a plant up by the roots or it will grow back again. God goes for the root, not just the branches. Sins are the branches that spring up from the heart of the sinner. If you are outside of Christ, you are in desperate need of a heart transplant because the heart you have now is flooded with the waters of iniquity. It’s too sick to give you life.

God “commands all men everywhere to repent” Act 17:30. But He is not merely asking that you give up a few bad habits. Jesus said “unless a man is born-again he will by no means see the Kingdom of God.” John 3:3. In the light of the truth that God is against sin and sinners, the message of the new birth takes a new appearance. Being born-again is becoming a new person, receiving a new heart with a new mind! It’s so much more then simply straightening out your life. It’s receiving new life! It’s more then giving up sins, it’s no longer being a sinner. Because God is not only against sins but He is against sinners, we must be born again and made new creations. We must be able to say “the old has past and the new has come” or else we are still left abiding under the wrath of God. Both sins small and great can fit through the wide gates of hell. The heavy weight of even the least of your sins is enough to weigh your soul down so that you sink into hell. The unconverted must be made to know that they are not saved even if they have cleaned up their lives by getting ride of their major sins, but must know that God desires to give them knew lives all together.

It’s been said that “you can’t be angry at a dog when a dog barks. It is in his nature to bark. What do you expect him to do? Meow like a cat?” Although you may laugh, there is nothing funny about it. This illustration is used to show that you can’t get angry with sinners when they sin because it is in their nature to sin. However God does get angry with sinners when they sin. “God is angry with the wicked” Ps 7:11. Let’s apply that illustration to reality. What does it mean? Does it mean you can’t get upset with a rapist if he rapes your wife, because he has a sinful nature? Does it mean you can’t be angry with a child molester when he molests children, maybe even your own children? Does it mean you can’t hold a murderer accountable to his evil actions if he murders and sheds innocent blood because he has a corrupt nature? If the illustration said “A dog barks because it is in his nature to do so” That would make sense. A sinner sins because he chooses to obey his fallen nature. However to say you can’t be angry with sinners when they sin does not hold up to reality. The late Keith Green said “We shouldn’t scare poor sinners. No, that wouldn’t do. They are just poor, unfortunate, misguided souls, right? Wrong! The Bible clearly shows that they are criminals who have robbed and dishonored the living God, infinitely offending Him, they have no right to look at themselves in any other way.”

The truth is you will never commit a sin that you did not want to commit. A dog only barks when it wants to. Matt 12:35 says that all your sins come out of the desires of your heart. James 1:14-16 goes on to say “But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren.” The heart of man is the source of all the streams of sin that flood our land. Do you not see how the rivers of sin flow from your very own heart? A corrupt sinful heart is like an erupting volcano destroying the life around it. You are directly responsible for your sins every time you commit them. Be sure of that! When you sin you are not a victim but a criminal in the sight of God. As a friend of mine Jeff Olver said, “there are reasons why people sin, but there are no excuses for peoples sin.” I learned from Leonard Ravenhill that you are not responsible for being born with a sinful nature. Adam is. But you are responsible for keeping it. The truth of it all is that because man is responsible for his actions, “God is angry with the wicked”!

2) How often is the Lord provoked to anger?

Now that we have established the biblical fact that the Lord does get angry, the question arises, how often is He angered? To answer that question we must answer a different question which is directly related to the first. How often are sins committed? God’s anger is a reaction, not an action. God is angered because of the ungodliness of wicked men. If it were not for sins, the Lord would never be angry. However since sins are committed daily the Lord is angry daily. “The Lord is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

William Gurnall wrote “God hath set up his royal standard in defiance of all the sons and daughters of apostate Adam, who form His own mouth are proclaimed rebels and traitors to His crown and dignity; and as against such he hath taken the field, as with fire and sword, to be avenged on them. Yea, he gives the world sufficient testimony of his incensed wrath, by that of which is revealed from heaven daily in the judgments executed upon sinners, and those many but of a span long, before they can show what nature they have by actual sin, yet crushed to death by God’s righteous foot, only for the viperous kind of which they come. At every door where sin sets its foot, there the wrath of God meets us. Every faculty of soul, and member of body, are used as a weapon of unrighteousness against God; so every one hath its portion of wrath, even to the tip of the long. As man is sinful all over, so is he cursed all over. Inside and outside, soul and body, is written all with woes and curses, so close and full, that there is not room for another to interline, or add to what God hath written.”

God does not get angry for the sake of being angry. He is angered because “The Lord is a just judge.” His righteous fury is fanned, flamed, and fueled by his holiness. How could a holy God witness the rape of women daily and not be provoked to wrath? How can a The Just Judge see little children molested continually day after day and not be forced to fury? How can a God of righteousness see fornication committed daily by the young and the old and not be angered by such an enormous violation of His Law? These sins are committed day after day after day. The thought arises in my mind, it is obvious that the Lord is “angry with the wicked every day” but does He get angrier every day? Does His anger increase with the increase of sins? Is His anger greater as the days go on? That is a possibility. In civil court, if a man violates the law once, the judge is angered. If the man violates the law continually, the judge would be furious. The heart of the Lord does not become calloused and immune to abominations as the heart of man does. The Lord does not hate sin less today then he did in the days of Noah. If possible, the Lord hates those sins even more. He once flooded the entire world with water because of the iniquity that was being committed. The Lord saved one family, Noah’s family, and sent the rest of the world to hell. The next flood that is coming upon the world due to the sins that are blatantly committed will not be a flood of water, but will be a flood of fire. The entire world will be destroyed and the Lord will create “a new Heaven and a new earth”. Could the increase of the punishment of sin be caused by the increase of Gods anger towards wicked men?

Jonathon Edwards in his famous sermon, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, wrote “They (sinners) are now the objects of that very same anger and wrath of God that is expressed in the torments of hell. And the reason why they do not go down to hell at each moment, is not because God, in whose power they are, is not then very angry with them; as he is with many miserable creatures now tormented in hell, who there feel and bear the fierceness of his wrath. Yea, God is a great deal angrier with great numbers that are now on earth: yea, doubtless, with many that are now in this congregation, who it may be are at ease, than he is with many of those who are now in the flames of hell.”

God’s anger towards sinners is not the same as the anger a Father has towards his children when they disobey him. This is because the wicked are not children of God but are sons and daughters of the devil. Jesus said to the wicked “You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me.” John 8:44-45. If they were children of God, then they would be like their Father. A child sees what his father does and then imitates him. But they do the work and will of the devil and therefore are not children of God. Not all of creation is apart of the family of God despite popular opinion. There are sons of the devil, although they may not know it, and there are also sons of God. John 1:12 “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God”. And then again, “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.” Romans 8:14. When Paul preached against a sinner in Acts 13:9-10 he said “Then Saul, who also is called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him and said, "O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord?”

You are not born into the family of God when you are born; you are “grafted in” at conversion. Romans 11:17-24. Son-ship comes only through faith in Christ. Gal 3:26. Therefore Gods anger towards the wicked is not the same anger a Father has towards disobedient children, rather Gods anger towards the ungodly is the same of a judge towards a guilty criminal that is standing in his court room. Saying that “God is a judge” is not a metaphor. God actually is a judge. “God is a just judge” Ps 7:11. Can you imagine the feeling that a righteous judge has when a criminal stands in his court room and has no shame or remorse for his crimes? If you intensify that feeling, you may get a glimpse of how God feels. “Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.” Eph 5:6 . And then again, “Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience” Col 3:6. Therefore it says “believe in the light, that you may become sons of the light”. John 12:36.

One of the most unbiblical terms I have ever heard is “carnal Christianity” that says someone can be a Christian and yet be as carnal as those who are outside of Christ. Jesus said “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word”. John 14:23. The terminology of “carnal Christianity” itself is an oxy moron. It would be like saying a person can be a loving cereal killer. “Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.” James 4:4. Keith Daniels said “There is no such thing as a worldly Christian. If you are worldly then you are not a Christian.” Those who fornicate, those who murder, those who rape, those who lie and commit all sorts of abominable deeds are not sons of God, they are just like their father the devil. If they were sons of God, then they would do the work of the Father. They are enemies of God, not children of God. Because they have not been born of God they can not please God. John 15:4. Those who are of Heaven are holy, and those who are of earth are evil. Mark my words, if you share in the sins of the world, you will share in the punishment of the world.

2 Timothy 2:19 says “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.” It is not a light thing for a man to claim to be a Christian. The claim to be a Christian is the profession to be a follower of Jesus Christ. Those who follow Christ follow in His ways. Did Christ say in vain “I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done”? John 13:15. Those things which Christ hates His followers also hate and those things which Christ loves His followers also love. It’s a mockery to the entire kingdom of God to even use the term “carnal Christian” in a way that hints to the possibility of living in sin while having a relationship with God, for it is impossible to serve the flesh and serve God at the same time. A servant can not serve two masters. Matt 6:24. You either go the way of the world or the way of Christ. You are either for Christ or against Christ. Luke 11:23. If you love him, keep his commandments. John 14:15. As my friend Brad Lanphear said, “It’s all the way or the other way.”

Remember Luke 14:21. Those who were invited to the great supper all made excuses and did not come so the master, in his anger, sent his servant out to invite the lame and the blind. The truth is that God is angry with the wicked every day that they refuse to repent. He is provoked to anger every day that sinners make excuses about not coming to repentance. How can the Lord be anything but angry when the precious blood of His own Son, which He sent to save, is trampled upon underfoot? Those who trample the blood of Christ under their feet will one day themselves be trampled upon by God. “For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The Lord will judge His people." It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Hebrews 10:26-31.

3) How will Gods anger affect wicked men?

The scriptures state plainly enough that the Lord is angry and that He is “angry with the wicked every day” but what will He do with His anger? Since He does not get angry for angers sake, what will happen to those with whom He is angry? A fire burns with the purpose to consume and the fire of the wrath of the Lord burns furiously to consume the ungodly. The judgment of God against those who will not submit to the reign of the King of Kings will be set, pasted, and final in only a matter of one day. Nahum 1:2-3 tells us what will become of the enemies of God. Nahum wrote those many years ago that “God is jealous, and the Lord avenges; The Lord avenges and is furious, The Lord will take vengeance on His adversaries, and He reserves wrath for His enemies.” And again Psalms 9:17 says “The wicked shall be turned into hell.”

There are some who would use the argument that “those are Old Testament scriptures and therefore do not apply today” however it is interesting to note that these are prophecies related to Judgment Day. That “great and terrible day” (Joel 2:11) of the Lord has yet to come about. Therefore all the prophecies about that day, old and New Testament prophecies are both valid today.

What about those who have never heard the gospel? This is a question I am sure every Christian has asked once in their walk with the Lord. What will happen to the tribal people in foreign countries that will die before they ever get a chance to even hear the name of Jesus?

Imagine a missionary in a foreign land laboring, sweating, and even bleeding at times to bring the gospel to people who have yet to hear the name of Christ. He has spent years studying and training. He has learned the language, he has studied the culture, he knows the scriptures, and he’s been called and anointed by God for this task. But after months and even years of laboring on the mission field, he has no converts. Can you imagine the frustrations and questions that a man like that has? Why does it look like the Lord isn’t blessing his efforts? There is no known sin in his life so why does it appear as though he is lacking the power of God in his ministry?

In a time of prayer he suddenly realizes that the entire time that he has been on the mission field he has simply told people about Christ but has never offered someone Christ. He has taught and explained Christianity to these people, but never explained why they personally need to be saved. So he leaves his time of prayer motivated to share the full counsel of God. He starts up a conversation with one of the tribal men about the Lord. He explains to the man his personal need to come to Christ because of his personal sins. He explains the wrath of God which will be revealed against the wicked. He shows the man how the arrows of the Law of God are already in the bending bow. He describes in detail the horrific and terrible place God created called hell. The tribal man is brought to tears over his personal violations of the Law and his rebellions against God. Then the missionary not only shares the message of Christ, but offers Christ Himself to this man. Of coarse the man willingly receives the Lord and is born-again.

Then the tribal man suddenly realizes, “what about my father who has already died? What about all of those who have lived before me and have died without this knowledge?” He turns to the missionary and says “what has happened to my father and his father and everyone who has lived before me that has died without this knowledge?” What does the missionary say? After years and years of labor he has finally won his first person to Christ. He doesn’t want to offend this man or turn him off to Christianity now that he has finally won someone to the Lord so what does he say? This is where the missionary goes wrong. In order to please the man and give him the answer he is looking for He said “well I personally believe that those who die without ever hearing the gospel go to Heaven because they didn’t have a chance.” To the surprise of the missionary, the tribal man gets upset and says “then why did you come to my land and tell my entire tribe about Christ? You should have left them in the dark completely! Now they have rejected the message and are going to hell but before you came they were going to Heaven in their ignorance! If what you are saying is true, we were all better off before you came here.”

If ignorance of the truths was a free ticket to Heaven, then why tell anybody about Christ? If the truth of it all was that those who have never heard of Christ will automatically go to Heaven then I would say lets ban the bible and burn the current churches. Let’s make sure that nobody ever hears the name of Christ again or reads a bible. That way the next generation, as sinful as it would be, can never have the option of accepting or rejecting Christ and therefore go straight to Heaven. That would be the best way to save a generation. The world continues to reject the truth, so let’s stop giving it the opportunity to reject it to make sure everybody goes to Heaven. The very thought of all that is absolutely ridiculous. If the heathen are saved then nobody needs to go and save them. The devil has snuck this false belief into the church to destroy the Great Commission and he does it with such subtlety!

In the famous sermon “Ten Shekels and a Shirt” by Paris Reidhead he talks about this very same subject. He said “The heathen are lost. And they are going to go to hell not because they haven’t heard the gospel. They are going to go to hell because they are sinners who love their sin and because they deserve hell.” If this truth does not motivate us to take the gospel to the ends of the earth, to win for the Lord the reward of His suffering, then nothing ever will.

The bible says in John 1:9 that God gives light to every man. All men everywhere have received a conscience and know right from wrong and that is why God calls “all men everywhere to repent” and not “just some men in some places”. Everyone from those in China to those in Africa to those in America has been given a conscience. Therefore we are all without excuse. God has made it impossible for any person to say “I didn’t know any better”. One Judgment Day the conscience of man will testify against the wicked in the court room of God. God will be the Judge, the Law will be the prosecutor, and the conscience will be the witness. The conscience will point the accusing finger and say “I was there when that one lied. I was there when that one blasphemed. I was there when that one murdered. I was there when that one committed adultery.”

And so the end of the wicked is certain, so long as they remain in their sins. Luke 13:3. Christ spoke continually through his parables and teachings about how Gods anger will affect wicked men. He said “If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.” Sinners have nothing more to look forward to then the death of a traitor, the execution of a rebel. Even while the church sings worship songs about the mercy of God, the wrath of God can fall upon the world if it doesn’t repent. Sinners are the focal point of Gods righteous wrath and anger. As an archer pulls back his bow and aims his arrow at the bull’s eye, so God, even now, has the bow of His anger bend with the arrows of His wrath aiming directly at His enemies. How terrible the day will be when the Lord says “But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.” Luke 19:27.

4) Will the anger of God burn forever?

“How long, Lord? Will You be angry forever? Will Your jealousy burn like fire?” Ps 79:5
God’s anger burns viciously even now against every shape and form of vileness in our time. How long will Gods anger burn against the wicked? His anger will burn so long as they remain in their sins. For all of eternity God will be angry with all of the wicked that are in hell. Those who have never repented and trusted in Jesus Christ will only have the fury of God and never the favor of God.

There is hope for the ungodly in this life and it is only in Jesus Christ. God has a Kingdom, and Christ is the King of Kings. Those who rebel against the King by transgressing His Law are seen as rebels and traitors in His eyes and rebellion is punishable by death, and death by execution. “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God”. Romans 3:23. And “the wages of sin is death” Romans 6:23. Therefore that means that everyone deserves to die by the hand of God. Everyone from janitors to politicians to ministers is equal in the court room of the Lord. Even the least of sins brings the worst of punishments because all sin is rebellion. The good news is that Jesus Christ was executed for us. While we were yet sinners, Christ died on our behalf. Romans 5:8. While we were enemies of God who set ourselves against His ways, He loved His enemies and showed His love by becoming a man and dying on a cross. Christ saves souls from God and saves souls for God.

What will it be like for those church-goers and “good” people who thought in their lifetime that they were at peace with God but find out on judgment day that they were not? People have a way of putting themselves in their own false worlds with false comforts. Many are walking around in their own bubbles but Gods word is sharper then any double edged sword and can pop those bubbles of false comfort and fantasy with the reality of truth. What words are sharper then “Depart from me, you worker of lawlessness. I never knew you”? Matthew 7:21-23. May the words of God shaken, shatter, and shoot through us now so that it will not have to do so then.

Christianity isn’t so much about what you know as much as it is about who you know. “And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” John 17:3. There will be those on Judgment Day who have made a profession of Jesus as Lord and yet will find out they didn’t truly know God. “He knows those who trust in Him” Nahum1:7. Don’t be so foolish on that day as to proclaim all the great things you think you did for God. You sin is even greater then any good work you have done. Salvation comes through trusting in the sacrifice of Christ alone. No other name has been given by which man can be saved then the name of Christ. It is not by works, even casting out demons and raising the dead, but it is by grace through faith in the Son of God. I fear that some will enter into a Christ-less eternity after their life because at one point they entered into a Christ-less Christianity during their life.

The majority of the world rejects the Son. No one has more enemies then God does. You can either kiss the Son or receive His rod. You may be saying to yourself “well my life is just fine without God”. Let me tell you, you can live fine without God, but only until the Day of Judgment. If you want to sin and live your life without God, you can be very happy and successful in worldly terms but what do you profit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? If you want to have a Christ-less life, don’t expect anything more then a Christ-less eternity.

The absolute most terrible tragedy in all of history was not the holocaust as horrific as that was. Neither was the greatest tragedy the great depression as devastating as that was for many. The greatest tragedy is found in John 1:10. “He was in the world…and the world did not know him.” That should be enough to wrench our hearts with pain for hours, days, and even longer. You may be hooked on drugs. I know how that is from experience. You may be an adulterer or a fornicator. You may be self-righteous and think your sins aren’t enough to cast you to hell. The way to destruction is wide enough for even the smallest of sins to fit through. You may be a liar or a thief. You may be heading for jail, heading for the mental hospital, heading for an early grave, you may be as awful as they come but the worst scenario in the world would be that you can know God and choose not to know him.

God offers you freedom. Christian freedom is not freedom to sin but it is freedom from sin. Christ not only covers people sin but He cleanses people from sin. As a great preacher once said, “if you do not put your sin to death, your sin will put you to death.” Jesus said “You are my friends, if you do whatever I command you.” John 15:14. Even the worst of men can be reconciled to God and no longer be an enemy of God but can be a friend of God. Not only can you be a friend of God but also a son or daughter of the Most High. You have the option of being able to say “O Lord, I will praise You; Though You were angry with me, Your anger is turned away, and You comfort me.” Isaiah 12:1.
God has had compassion on you, but will you have compassion on yourself? “How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation?” Hebrews 2:3.

The essence of my message is summed up here in an old Methodist hymn:

Sinners, turn; why will ye die?
God, your maker, asks you why?
God, who did your being give,
Made you with himself to live;
He the fatal cause demands;
Asks the work of his own hands,
Why, yea thankless creatures, why
Will ye cross his love, and die?

God, your Saviour asks you why?
He, who did your souls retrieve,
Died himself, that ye might live.
Will ye let him die in vain?
Crucify your Lord again?
Why, ye ransom’d sinners, why
Will ye slight his grace, and die?

God, the Spirit, asks you why?
He, who all your lives hath strove,
Urged you to embrace his love.
Will ye not his grace receive?
Will ye still refuse to live?
O ye dying sinners, why?
Why will ye forever die?

2004/11/15 6:45

Re: Article: The Anger of the Lord

ps. If anyone has any questions that you don't want to post here feel free to email me at jesse@newenglandoutreach.com

2004/11/15 17:48

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy