Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Free NIV bible download

Saints,

I am still trying to verify this but there are on the web a few places where you can download the older 1984 NIV version of the bible in mp3 format. I am asking the sites about this to verify permissions etc.

Here is a link for one of them: http://jcsm.org/1on1/NTBibleonMP3.htm

I suggest not to keep the downloads and delete them after using them until we can verify this.

2011/1/23 2:47Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re: Free NIV bible download

I'm going to try not to upset anyone by asking this question but should Christians really promote the NIV?

2011/1/23 3:24Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Brother,

I feel to argue over bible translations is not a profitable conversation. The Bible has 1000's of translations across the world many from multitudes of text sources. There are revisions of the revisions of the revisions of greek manuscripts of all kinds. All we can estimate from this is that they are just varations mostly and over 98% of all the texts really are the same in most cases except for some very strong paraphrases.

What is important in a bible version is first, readability, Jesus spoke in the modern language of the people and not in some older archaic verse. Second you need to obey what you read. Really to me it does not matter what version of the bible you have as long as you are growing to be more like Christ. I have seen many KJV only people who had little or none of the love of Christ or the Spirit of God in their lives.

I still read KJV and other versions, the NIV to me is very helpful in preaching abroad in other countries and for personal study especially in the Old Testament I have enjoyed it greatly.

May we not be side-tracked by minor issues and all get into the battle to live godly and share Christ with lost souls. All else is really meaningless in the end.

2011/1/23 3:45Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Ok. I understand your view. I wont bug around this topic further. I do however believe it is one of the most important topics we face today. But we can agree to disagree i guess.

For me this is not a minor issue but to every man his own.

regards

2011/1/23 3:51Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I actually see it as a blessing that we have so many different Bible translations and paraphrases today. A mark of God's grace. And I'll promote just about all of them - including the Message. God will sort out the details, if a believer is impacted and apprehended by the Holy Spirit. When my son was born, he started out on breast milk, but didn't stay with it. In time, when adequately nourished, we began to introduce him to more "solid" foods. Now, he eats what we eat.

I've heard some of the most gifted Bible teachers give lessons from the Message Bible, and the Holy Spirit bring a river of abundant life from it. Seeing how God accepted the preacher's exegesis from the Message, and used it to transmit life unto others through His Spirit, I too resolved to accept it and never again criticize a person for reading it. And that went for the NIV as well, and many other non-Textus Receptus manuscript translations men mark as "heretical" and yet in seeming defiance God still stamps authority upon in the pulpit. Why is this? Because the real "book" God looks at in the pulpit is not published by Zondervan, but published rather by the believer in the recesses of his heart. He doesn't look at a 1611 Authorization, by at the daily publication of the channel through which it enters and exits. Brethren, if the altar be sanctified, the gift laid upon it will be accepted as well - be it the frankenscense of the Message, myrrh of an NIV or the gold of a KJV.

2011/1/23 9:47Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Quote:
Why is this? Because the real "book" God looks at in the pulpit is not published by Zondervan, but published rather by the believer in the recesses of his heart.

Amen.

2011/1/23 10:45Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Why is Luke 4:4 so different in all the bibles?

Quote:

New International Version (©1984)
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone.'"

New Living Translation (©2007)
But Jesus told him, "No! The Scriptures say, 'People do not live by bread alone.'"

English Standard Version (©2001)
And Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone.’”

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
And Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE.'"

International Standard Version (©2008)
Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'One must not live on bread alone, but on every word of God.'"

GOD'S WORD®
Translation (©1995)
Jesus answered him, "Scripture says, 'A person cannot live on bread alone.' "

King James Bible
And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

American King James Version And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

American Standard Version
And Jesus answered unto him, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone.

Bible in Basic English
And Jesus made answer to him, It has been said in the Writings, Bread is not man's only need.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And Jesus answered him: It is written, that Man liveth not by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Darby Bible Translation
And Jesus answered unto him saying, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

English Revised Version
And Jesus answered unto him, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone.

Webster's Bible Translation And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Weymouth New Testament
"It is written," replied Jesus, "'It is not on bread alone that a man shall live.'"

World English Bible
Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.'"

Young's Literal Translation And Jesus answered him, saying, 'It hath been written, that, not on bread only shall man live, but on every saying of God.'

2011/1/23 12:09Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Ok. I understand your view. I wont bug around this topic further. I do however believe it is one of the most important topics we face today. But we can agree to disagree i guess.

When I read your post I was glad for your desire to be mature about this and agree to debate the issue would not be fruitful. In almost all those versions even the paraphases the same things (essence) of truth is being said. Here is my paraphase:

"Jesus said: Haven't You read the Scriptures Where it says: You can't simply live this life on men's words they will fail, you will just get hungry again like eating bread! The only words that will really sustain your spiritual man is God's eternal words, the very words from God's mouth." - Luke 4:4 (GPB) - Greg's!! Paraphrase Bible :)

Some of the oldest manuscripts don't have the greek term: "but on every word of God." in the Luke account so for some translators they feel its more "accurate" to not have that phrase in the Luke portion where it reads in other portions.

2011/1/23 12:25Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Quote:
(GPB) - Greg's!! Paraphrase Bible :)

lol.

Ok i'm out of this thread, i promised to drop the subject.

2011/1/23 12:28Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Thanks Greg!

2011/1/23 14:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy