SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : ten shekels and a shirt

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

ten shekels and a shirt

I recently listened to this sermon and it was quite long. I understand where this man named Paris is going with his message. We should serve God even if it would eventually send us to hell. I can tell you no one probably would do such a thing. He talked about humanism saying that its goal is get you to lead a happy life until death whereas fundamentalist want that after death.

Does the bible talk about Jesus giving you life and life more abundantly? He isn't talking about eternal life when he says that. He is talking here and now but I think that abundant life is the joy of the Lord and not material wealth.

Anyone care to discuss it?

John

2011/1/19 15:50Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: ten shekels and a shirt

Quote:
Does the bible talk about Jesus giving you life and life more abundantly? He isn't talking about eternal life when he says that. He is talking here and now but I think that abundant life is the joy of the Lord and not material wealth.

Brother, Great to hear that you had time to listen to this life-changing message. This with no argument is the most influential message on this website for many people who have come to use SermonIndex. As we look at the teachings and the life of Jesus Christ all His life and ministry were geared towards heaven. He spoke of heaven as the place he came from and was going to. He preached a message to "eternal" life and the hope of resurrection in Heaven. He spoke of the theme of suffering much as short compared to eternity in heaven or hell.

Another major subject was money (which Christ preached more about then hell and heaven). How do we use this short life in the best way possible for eternity was the end goal of alot of Christs teachings.

Paul carried this on to say which in a prison cell suffering for the Gospel: "For me to live in Christ; to die is gain!" But in our modern evangelical atmosphere we have turned this around to say: "For me to live is GAIN and to die is Christ" This is the humanistic mindest. But the words of Christ come against it when he says you must "hate your life to gain it and to lose your live to save it!"

May we follow the way of Christ in Scriptures and not what famous men on TV are saying. I think your question is honest, needful and great to ask brother and I pray that God continues you along this journey of discipleship to see the real costs and to see the foundation of the walk being in relationship with Christ. I trust what I shared is abit helpful for you and do think this is should discussed much more.

And for those that want to listen to the message that is being refered to you can hear it here:

Ten Shekels and a Shirt by Paris Reidhead
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=282

2011/1/19 15:58Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I have to agree that in the modern evangelical world 'for me to live is GAIN...' I think this is because it becomes a part of our culture getting threaded into the gospel making it a false one. This is A reason why I stopped going to the modern evangelical churches. For even the tithes and offerings became a sermon of scripture twisting.

I am also reminded of something else from this sermon as an indirect result. Hearing the voice of God. How does one know when it is the Voice of God? Paris mentioned going to Africa and finding out the people didn't want to hear the gospel and wondered why God sent him there and he said God told him that it was for God that he sent him. I thought to myself, how does he really know that? Does he know that he knows that he knows? He didn't explain that and maybe he doesn't need to explain it but I still wonder about it.

I am also going to go back to the scripture reference he used to establish the whole sermon and break that down because it seems to have good stuff in it about how we are in the church.

Lastly, I don't find many messages these days that trouble me. I mean really trouble me or disturb me or convict me. I was getting to be of the opinion that Nothing is inspired anymore but would have some people say 'well, we are preaching the word' yet something is missing. This particular message troubled me inside. So much so that I questioned my own heart and own motives and then thought, before I take this message as total truth I asked does it line up with the Word of God because if it doesn't then my heart is giving me false guilt. I need to discern those things.

I think it is a good thing that I did listen to this message. My heart is in a state of a battery that needs that jump start. It needs something to hit it and break up the fallow ground and root out whatever traditions I have allowed to harden within myself and dwell solely what truth is. I have never ascribed to any denomination.

I hope this all makes sense?

John

2011/1/19 22:53Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Lastly, I don't find many messages these days that trouble me. I mean really trouble me or disturb me or convict me. I was getting to be of the opinion that Nothing is inspired anymore but would have some people say 'well, we are preaching the word' yet something is missing. This particular message troubled me inside. So much so that I questioned my own heart and own motives and then thought, before I take this message as total truth I asked does it line up with the Word of God because if it doesn't then my heart is giving me false guilt. I need to discern those things.

Amen brother and that is the problem we need to hear more messages that will help us to understand God and our relationship with Him. I believe the evangelical church does not have the fear of God which is the beginning of wisdom and a foundation for knowing God. We must see that come back first and then Grace makes more sense and will be cherished and understood better. Discipleship and following Christ is never for salvation but a response to it. Like the wonderful example that Paris Reidhead shares at the end of the message of the Moravians. Their response to the the love of Christ, the Lamb of God was that they would give Him their all.

The greatest love demands the greatest sacrifices. Love is the great compulsion. I have been and am on a journey to be in and live an Authentic Biblical Christianity. There are so many counterfeits or in-balances. I personally mind much truth that is being re-discovered here to the evangelical church through this brother Reidhead. But we must put everything in its place.

The messages on SermonIndex that have impacted me the greatest are just signposts pointing the way. And by God's grace I am still on the way to know Christ, what a wonderful journey this is!

2011/1/19 23:12Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

In listening to this message again I am hearing other things that I missed in the first listen. The only issue I have with this message is Paris gets on many rabbit trails yet ties them all in together. Then it is a matter of tying it all together.

Part of the message reminds me of these 'new' churches arising proclaiming 'relevant' messages. I thought to myself, you know, that is fine and dandy but what are YOU doing as a church under God to love your neighbor? Staying in the church and just being friendly? Is that what Jesus is all about? Helping a 'visitor' feel important that you get another statistic? Yet what it comes down to is the issue of the soul vs giving a more modern message.
I modern church sometimes has an appeal to me but my heart always arrests me to what is more important. Is it flash or is it the gospel? And how much flash overrides the message of the gospel?
And in the churches these days, when I hear people give 'testimony' I usually hear emotionaly testimony and many times it feels like God is a rabbits foot and not necessarily someone they know deeply in heart? Usually those I hear who know God deeply have a certain passion and a certai protectiveness about them vs just out there spouting stuff,if that makes sense? It is like protecting the gold within vs being liberal by having an open house knowing the risk of theives could enter by trampling through the house.

Also, missions. Paris seems to say he, as others go on missions to do things for God only to hit a wall and they get mad at God. How often does missions go with the intent of spreading the gospel when actually it is the selfishness of the human soul in the Name of God that is doing it? And then come back and share would be testimonies of what God is or appears to be doing? Does God use the human selfish will despite ourselves for his sake? After all we are weak in soul. Does he still use that in spite of ourselves?

Hmmmm, this message has alot of impact in it and takes more than just a one time or 2 time listen and yet I still think many people won't get the message. They will reinterpret it or the human soul will not necessarily hear it. I have to say after a 2nd listen it still causes me to question my own desires and are they in the way?

2011/1/20 8:16Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I also have to say that I have found some of Paris' other sermons very convicting. Why is his name not mentioned much, or at all of preachers that christians should sit under the feet of? Why is he not mentioned among the Spurgeon's of the world?

2011/1/23 13:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy