SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken...

Jesus, I my cross have taken,
All to leave and follow Thee.
Destitute, despised, forsaken,
Thou from hence my all shall be.
Perish every fond ambition,
All I’ve sought or hoped or known.
Yet how rich is my condition!
God and heaven are still my own.

Let the world despise and leave me,
They have left my Savior, too.
Human hearts and looks deceive me;
Thou art not, like them, untrue.
O while Thou dost smile upon me,
God of wisdom, love, and might,
Foes may hate and friends disown me,
Show Thy face and all is bright.

Man may trouble and distress me,
’Twill but drive me to Thy breast.
Life with trials hard may press me;
Heaven will bring me sweeter rest.
Oh, ’tis not in grief to harm me
While Thy love is left to me;
Oh, ’twere not in joy to charm me,
Were that joy unmixed with Thee.

Go, then, earthly fame and treasure,
Come disaster, scorn and pain
In Thy service, pain is pleasure,
With Thy favor, loss is gain
I have called Thee Abba Father,
I have stayed my heart on Thee
Storms may howl, and clouds may gather;
All must work for good to me.

Soul, then know thy full salvation
Rise o’er sin and fear and care
Joy to find in every station,
Something still to do or bear.
Think what Spirit dwells within thee,
Think what Father’s smiles are thine,
Think that Jesus died to win thee,
Child of heaven, canst thou repine.

Haste thee on from grace to glory,
Armed by faith, and winged by prayer.
Heaven’s eternal days before thee,
God’s own hand shall guide us there.
Soon shall close thy earthly mission,
Soon shall pass thy pilgrim days,
Hope shall change to glad fruition,
Faith to sight, and prayer to praise.

* 2 Timothy 3:12: In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

* 2 Corinthians 4: 8-12: 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

* Acts 14:22: " strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. “We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,” they said.

* John 15:18-19: 18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

2011/1/16 19:19Profile
foofee

Re: Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken...

I thank you so much for this. For me, today and I know every day it is very much needed. I feel perplexed on every side, and feel as if I am about to buckle under the pressure. Please pray for my strength in the Lord. For God knows that I only want to please Him, and serve Him and inherit all that He has promised me. This life has been one of so much confusion, heartache, and pain. Sometimes I think about the things that I have been through and going through and my heart weeps, but I keep telling myself that it is all working for my good.

I feel like everything and anything is coming at me to stop me from getting something so much better than what I have ever experienced and could ever ask for. I feel surrounded by wolves ready to devour me at any time. It is so surreal at times. Just last night, I had a casual date with a guy that is very aware of my desire to seek, please, and serve God, and he himself even believes that there is a God, and is knowledgeable about the bible. We discuss God, my desires, and etc. almost every time we talk, but just last night he tried (because I allowed things to go too far) to take full advantage of me in a sexual way. Because of this, I have gone all day today feeling like a complete failure before God unworthy of His love, grace, and mercy. I am feeling spiritually exhausted due to feeling that everything is coming at me all at once to distract, and deter me from purpose.

I lost my car last week and found out as a result that I really don't have true friends, nor anyone who really cares to be there for me. And, if they do come through for me, it is grudgingly, and with complaining. I am still in the midst of it all, TRYING to hold on and believe God despite of what I see, and what may come against me. God is bigger than all of my problems, struggles, and fears. So, with that knowledge I am really trying to push forward.

My accuser wants nothing more than for me to feel and believe that God has forsaken me, and my desire and willingness to serve and please Him is in vain, but I do know that He is a liar and the truth is not in Him. So, in all of this... once again... I thank you for the post. It is right on time.

God Bless,

Felicia

2011/1/16 23:54Profile
bakary

GAMBIA, WEST AFRICA

Re: Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken...

Please felicia do not date anyone until Christ shows you the man. Be patiece and wait for the direction of Christ. Dating without the leading of Christ is dangerous, it will take your heart. The Lord is your strength.

2011/1/17 3:39Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I lost my car last week and found out as a result that I really don't have true friends, nor anyone who really cares to be there for me. And, if they do come through for me, it is grudgingly, and with complaining. I am still in the midst of it all, TRYING to hold on and believe God despite of what I see, and what may come against me. God is bigger than all of my problems, struggles, and fears. So, with that knowledge I am really trying to push forward.

Sister, I have learnt never to make big decisions when in a hard struggle or time of lack of peace or pressure. Put your focus on Christ truly and realize He has saved you, he is your strong tower that you can run to (provers 18:10). Call on His Name. Do not look for peace but rest on Him in this storm and He will see you through. Christianity is a battle! The devil is playing for keeps. Loneliness is a hard time but our Master Jesus Christ experienced it and overcame.

I memorized the first 2 stanzas of that poem early in my Christian walk all alone with no friends and it was a solace to me then as it is now. Bless you sister.

2011/1/17 18:08Profile
foofee

Re:

Quote:
put your focus on christ truly and realize He has saved you, He is your strong tower that you can run to (proverbs 18:10). Call on His name. Do not look for peace, but rest on Him in this storm and He will see you through.

Thank you for the words of wisdom and encouragement. I am trying to lean on God, and trust Him, but it is hard, and sometimes I don't even know where to start, or HOW to trust Him. I cry out to Him and ask for His help and guidance in the matter. I search scriptures, and try to memorize them to use them when I am facing things in my life. But, I feel that I am falling short somewhere in the whole process. I am sure that it is because I allow my flesh to get in the way of my total dependency on Him for not being sure of how to totally depend on Him.

For instance, I lost my car. I used this unfortunate circumstance as a way to look to God for my help. I prayed about it, and asked God to help me to depend on His guidance and trust that He'll make a way for me. Being yet a babe, I am learning as I go. Since I know that God is not going to descend from heaven with a taxi to take me to work, I felt that maybe He wanted me to call on "friends" that I don't usually call on for help. NONE of them were able, or willing to help. I was at work 2 hours after my shift praying in my heart for God's will to be done in the situation, and I suddenly felt the need to call on the guy that I had only been conversing with on the phone that was interested in me.

I did, and he was more than willing unlike everyone else to help me out, and then this past weekend happened. So, I am confused, and not sure of how to depend on God in the time of distress. I am continually praying that God help me in this area because that is all that I know to do.

I sincerely thank you for your words though.

God Bless you.

2011/1/17 18:53Profile
bakary

GAMBIA, WEST AFRICA

Re:

Felicia the word below might be of a help to you

When God allow moses to stay forty days and night on the moutain without food , it was not that heaven was bankrupt , but God wanted him to know of a power which is higher that the Laws and limitation of nature. While the rest of the Children were busy in idolatary because of disouragement, a man who had a vission of the infinite God was unshakable with the condition in the physical. He had a touch of heaven with the great commandments. The same God of moses is the same today and forever. HE is ever seeking a man , a people, who he will daily bring into cahalenges, temptation, hunger, sickness to show forth HIS infinite power, which power when it enter the soul, it no longer becomes dictated by natural circumstance but the will of God. This is the point were the Law of Christ become written in the heart as the holy spirit direct and teaches the soul in purity in the midst of a backslidden - pleasure seeking , "Christianity".

2011/1/18 3:07Profile
whyme

Re:

set to music here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iU8yXzsejc

2011/1/18 10:31Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Excellent! what a blessing brother, thank you for sharing. This old hymn has sustained me in many a weary times!

2011/1/18 12:52Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

This is by far my favorite version of this great hymn, from a dear brother in Oregon and SermonIndex member:

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=6637

2011/1/18 19:48Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy