Discussion Forum : General Topics : Calling Satan, "the enemy"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Calling Satan, "the enemy"

I got the following in my email:

Calling Satan, "the enemy" by Jonathan Acuff, "Stuff Christians Like"

"This is one of my personal favorites. At some point in 1996, everyone decided to call satan, “the enemy.” I don’t know how it happened but I have a guess at why it happened. I think it happened because we’re afraid to look weird if we talk about the devil. And it’s a weird thing to do, I agree. In a world governed by logic and science and reason, to associate your life with a pure evil entity that is hellbent on destroying you at any given opportunity is a little freaky. That’s why you rarely hear someone say, “Wow, satan was really attacking me last night.” Instead, we say the enemy because it’s a much safer word. Everyone understands what enemy means, it’s just someone or something that is against you. So instead of feeling weird, we feel OK when we say, “Wow, the enemy was really attacking me last night.” How far will we take the softening of the words we use to describe satan? We’ll see, but I wouldn’t be surprised if given his immense Public Relations magic we eventually call the devil, “the opponent” or maybe even “Mr. red hot pants.” "

I was challenged and have to say "I am guilty for doing so." Is it possible that by calling the devil or satan 'the enemy' one is minimizing some of the awfulness of who and what he is?

2011/1/15 10:25Profile

Re: Calling Satan, "the enemy"

I think you're in illustrious company for doing so. The fact is 'the enemy' prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour, according to Peter.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Matthew 13:28 He [Jesus] said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

2011/1/15 11:09
DesertRose

Boston.MA

"We look upon the enemy of our souls as a conquered foe, so he is, but only to God, not to us....Oswald Chambers

2011/1/15 11:23Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Ginny,
I understand your point. Although Satan is out enemy and it is not wropng to call him the enemy, at the same time avoiding at all cost to call him Satan is a sign of denial of the Biblical truth by trying to aviod embarrasment and get along with every one else by using terms that can exist outside the Bible.

You could say the same about using the term " God ". Although this term is repeated thousands of times in the Bible and there is nothing wrong with using the name God. But if I am in a group of muslims, or other religions that also use that term, and I try to aviod using the name"Jesus" because it is more specific and occured only in the Bible, then I am denying the Lord and trying to avoid being peculiar.

2011/1/15 11:47Profile

Re:

I found these verses to be interesting - First we have a 'serpent' mentioned and then a dragon...

Rev 12:15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
Rev 12:16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

I believe there is a time and place to use the name "Satan" because he is the chief of the 1/3 of the angels that fell with him.

You've got to be somebody pretty dangerous to his kingdom for him to attack you personally. Most times it's his minions, those fallen angels called demons.

I for one, prefer not to say that Satan himself is attacking me. And demons (or Satan) can only go as far as GOD permits - as with Job. Whether Satan gives all of these fallen angels commands of what to do - I question that as well. A legion of demons inhabited the one man.
They're just looking for a place to inhabit, as they asked Jesus to go into the swine.

Where GOD mentions Satan by name, I have no problem quoting those verses.

To me "the enemy" is either Satan himself or one or some of the fallen angels.

Satan is also called "the evil one". We have some choices for names for him and his coherts.

I've always liked this verse -

Isa 59:19 So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.

2011/1/15 13:09
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Appreciate y'all pointing out the fact that the scriptures call the devil 'the enemy'. Perhaps I was a tad bit too hasty in sharing this article?

In any case, for some reason I find it a tad bit abhorant in calling the enemy by his name or title like 'Satan', the Devil...Never do I want to lose the repulsion for Satan. He is the ultimate enemy of our souls who uses God's creation to trip us up. Perhaps that is why this article spoke so vividly to me? The term enemy as used too often as an adjective instead of a personal pronoun. "Enemy' could be anything, anyone.

Thanks for sharing your insight...Appreciate it.

ginnyrose

2011/1/15 13:47Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy