SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  Is it wrong to not call someone Pastor if that is their Title and is there scriputual proof of this

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MityDisciple

Moncton, New-Brunswick Canada

Is it wrong to not call someone Pastor if that is their Title and is there scriputual proof of this

Is this disrespectful if i don't call someone this is it wrong? What does scripture say about this?

2011/1/14 10:34Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: Is it wrong to not call someone Pastor if that is their Title and is there scrip

No, it's not wrong to call someone pastor. It's only wrong when they demand you call them pastor, imho.

I have a pastor I love in the Lord (his family and he live in another state) but I still him my pastor. I've seen his walk and talk in the Lord. Also, I have never heard him tell me or anyone to call him his title "pastor."

edited for easy reading and edited out original last two paragraphs!

In the KJV, there is only one verse that says pastor and it's in Jeremiah 17.16 and the rest are plural (in Jeremiah also) except for Ephesians 4:11 "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, PASTORS and teachers..."

God bless,
Lisa

Jer 2:8
Jer 3:15
Jer 10:21
Jer 12:10
Jer 22:22
Jer 23:1
Jer 23:2

2011/1/14 11:05Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: Is it wrong to not call someone Pastor if that is their Title and is there scrip

MityDisciple,

At the risk of beating a dead horse here I will post a quote of mine from this thread:

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35697&forum=35&48

"Another passage which I believe is relevant to this discussion is Matthew 23:6-12. There the Lord, speaking of the Pharisees says, "They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men.But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. But the greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted."

"In that passage Christ warns the disciples of seeking after prestigious religious positions and titles... Today this would include titles such as "Pastor so and so", "Reverend so and so", "Evangelist so and so", "Dr. so and so", etc. And He tells them that they are all spiritual brothers, meaning that they all have equal status before God and they are to act like it."

So no, it is not wrong NOT to call someone "Pastor so and so". I usually say "brother so and so" or just address folk by their name. If they demand that they be addressed with a title it reveals where their heart is, imho.

The Lord has appointed men to be apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers. But that says nothing of taking on TITLES. Nowhere in the Bible do we see any examples of any servants of Christ being addressed with TITLES. Paul never calls himself "Apostle Paul", neither do any other apostles. Peter refers to Paul as "our beloved brother Paul"(2Pet.3:15). The only One referred to with a TITLE is Christ Jesus.

2011/1/14 12:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy