SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Tongue Talking Living 4 The Devil

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Tongue Talking Living 4 The Devil

I've pulled this statement from brother David Wilkerson's message thread because I didn't want to turn that into a tongues speaking debate room, so I dragged it over here to discuss.

Quote:
Tragically, too many speak with tongues, but then live like the devil.

You know, I have a hard time believing this to be true.

Those who I know who have sinned (including myself), or failed God, or have in some way lost sight of the calling, I never see these brethren speak in tongues, in fact they avoid it because they feel so unworthy speaking in that language. I can't imagine anyone who has the gift of the Holy Ghost who has that ability to speak in tongues and live like the devil, it's hard to comprehend, I just haven't seen anyone to be like this do this.

Perhaps it's the ones that are faking it or another spirit is controlling them or these movements that are more into hype than holiness that everyone is thrown into the same pot.

I don't want to turn this into a debate whether or not tongues are for us today, that is not the purpose. What I wish to hear, if any can contribute, is your observation from those that you believe to have the genuine gift of tongues but they also live like the devil.

2011/1/13 20:53
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Tongue Talking Living 4 The Devil

I believe these are people that are ignorant to what Speaking in Tongues is. From what I have seen in the Pentecostal church it's a point of acceptance to speak in tongues and this and the pressure of speaking in tongues by the leaders causes many false tongues.

This is why I believe tongues is a weak "evidence" for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit but is a beautiful gift to those it is actually given to.

2011/1/13 21:00Profile
learjet

Quote:
Perhaps it's the ones that are faking it or another spirit is controlling them or these movements that are more into hype than holiness that everyone is thrown into the same pot.

Tragically, this is true.

Zac Poonen has an excellent teaching about the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.

He says:

Quote:
"The first evidence of a person that is baptised in the Holy Spirit is: they desire Holiness and they can cotrol their earthly tongue. If I said someone was possessed with a lying spirit you would know that they lie, I mean there's no deception there. There's a reason that out of all the names that The Father used for the third person of the Trinity He called Him the Holy Spirit, because He's first of all 'holy'. " (paraphrased from memory)

I really love Zac's teachings! He has been a TREMENDOUS BLESSING to me personally, I hope that one day that I can tell him to his face before he goes to be with the Lord!

Much Love,
Earl J.

2011/1/13 21:07Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Approved,

I have the gift of tongues when I backslid. I did not speak in tongues while I was living in sin. Sometimes I remember feeling the spirit to pray in tongues and I would go do something else because I didn’t feel I was worthy to pray in tongues again. And when I came back to the Lord, it took a while to allow myself to allow the Spirit to pray through me again.

But I think that there is difference between people living like the devil and speaking in tongues. Can we stop just at the gift of tongues? There are people who pray for the sick and live like the devil; people who prophesy (true or not), who live like the devil. I don’t know that we can just pick on the gift of tongues.

Lisa’s two cents!!!!

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/1/13 22:47Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Great point Lisa! Which is why the Gifts of the Spirit are all poor evidences of being Baptised in the Holy Spirit. Love and more directly Love for the Lord and our Brothers and Sisters in Christ is an excellent evidence :).

I would say I agree with your testimony as well because I spoke in tongues when I was younger but felt it wasn't a genuine baptism because I fell into sin. I now am still in a state of feeling unworthy to speak in tongues but also don't want to operate using a false tongues since my original experience in speaking in tongues was peer pressure. So I would love to receive the gift but don't want it to simply be me speaking jibberish out of an emotional frenzy but would love it to be a real for me.

If I do not receive this gift however the Lord has blessed me with plenty of other gifts I can bless others with for His Glory. :)

2011/1/13 23:05Profile

Re:

Quote:
Can we stop just at the gift of tongues?

Certainly not, I was merely using Brother Wilkerson's words, but there could be any of the gifts.

I appreciate your honesty Lysa in this regard, it's these answers that I am looking for, not the debate over whether the gift is the official evidence or not. (though I have my opinion, but this is not the thread for that).

2011/1/14 7:46
rufnrust

Indiana

First of all, David Wilkerson is an awesome man of God. Maybe he put that statement out there to a bit of an extreme to make a point. People do this all the time.

Secondly , PRAISE GOD for the precious gift of tongues. It looks to me like tongues is for the very precious people who have posted so far here and more. I Cor 14 " He that speaks in an unknown tongue speaks to God and edifies himself" We all need to be edified in the presence of God. God wants it that way. In our private personal time with our Awesome Father we should pour out our hearts. When we "feel" unworthy. ( we are)

Get under the cleansing blood of Jesus and let the Holy Spirit give voice to the deepest heart-cries you have. Glory to God! What could please God more than us honoring the precious blood of Jesus and coming to Him with hunger and faith. He is not "evil" like us! If you ask for the Holy Spirit ! You will receive the Holy Spirit !!

Don't believe the lie that some wimpy devil will sneak in there and trick you. We have a covenant with the Living God on the strength of the endless live of our Great High Priest Jesus the Christ the Son of the Living God !!!

If we ask for bread when we are weak, we will have it in Jesus name.

Go pray in tongues my friends

Ruf

2011/1/14 9:27Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: Tongue Talking Living 4 The Devil 2

Approved,

I was thinking this morning of people who have received the gift of tongues and doesn’t seem to think twice about the sin in their life (i.e. living like the devil).

First, I wanted to say that that is between them and the Lord; they will have to give an account to God for that. Secondly, if you (or anyone) know someone personally who is living that way; I beseech you all to pray for them and pray about confronting them scripturally. I had a pastor years ago who said often, “It’s a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God and if you see someone heading into the direction of the hands of the Living God, you should be praying for mercy for them.”

And this is what I was thinking about, 2 Thessalonians 2.10-12 and how it possibly applies, “because they RECEIVED NOT THE LOVE OF THE TRUTH, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.”

I know a lot of people associate this verse with the end times but the Lord showed me that this is for my life; and I praised God when I began listening to Zac Poonen and he was teaching that also!! I was YES! I did not hear God wrong!! For me, I have to work on receiving the love of the truth about myself and if I don’t – if I continually; make it a life style of not receiving the truth, it starts with one lie I won’t let God show me the truth about, that I would rather believe because perhaps a lot of other lies or beliefs are staked on that one lie and my whole wall (or world) would come crashing down if I allowed the truth to change everything... when this goes on and on, then verses 11 and 12 begin to kick in.

Lovers of Truth – Zac Poonen
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4268&commentView=itemComments

Again, just my two cents.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/1/14 10:45Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

The Apostle Paul wrote 1 Corinthinans which stresses the importance for spirtual gifts in the Church. Also the love chapter is right after the exhortation on the gifts.

The point is that we do need the gifts of the Spirit, but all of the gifts must be operated in the love of God. Without the fruit of the Spirit in our lives,we will not use the gifts the way that God intended us to. This is why there has been so much criticism of men with the gifts of healing but were not living a holy life, and the Lord was dishonored.

On the other hand, there are many that either say that the gifts of the Spirit have passed away or that they are not needed. There has to be a balance. God give men gifts to be used for the building up of the Body of Christ.

Mike

2011/1/14 16:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
First of all, David Wilkerson is an awesome man of God. Maybe he put that statement out there to a bit of an extreme to make a point. People do this all the time.

Yes, Brother David is a great man of God. And you could be right about the extreme, I do that too.

It's not so much that he said it (I respect his office as a prophet), it's more that I have heard it said a few times by others and I am grateful for the feedback that I have gotten back thus far. It bothered me that anyone could take the Holy Ghost for granted like that. I take the same position as Lysa in that when she was in her season of sin that she felt unworthy to utter the divine language.

Thank you for the generous replies thus far.

2011/1/14 16:03

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy