SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is there really Eternal Hell Fire

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
kwamenat

Is there really Eternal Hell Fire

I have heard many preacher preaching about eternal hell fire but is the fire really eternal?

Let's consider Jude 7 (1:7)..."Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire"

If i am correct Sodom and Gomorrah did not burn forever or else there will be a place on earth still burning perpetually.

Perhaps we have to look into the word "eternal" some more. Personally, I think the fire in hell will burn till nothing remains but it won't be forever.

What do you think?

2011/1/12 13:42Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: Is there really Eternal Hell Fire

I think these verses may mean the "people" in S and G suffering eternal fire, not the cities..but I may be wrong.

:)

2011/1/12 13:45Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

If you are a sincere seeker of truth, then this thread, though it may take a while to read, could be helpful. These are the views of the moderator of this website.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6203&forum=45&start=10&19

The New Testament almost always adds deeper dimensions of understanding to events that occurred in the Old Testament. If Jude uses the word "eternal" it means eternal, if this word does not mean eternal fire, then we do not get eternal life either, as it is almost always the exact same word throughout the NT, if my memory serves correct, the word in greek is aionios. If you do not want "eternal life" then believe that the word "eternal" does not mean eternal for the fires of hell either. How the Sodom event practically works out in a physics understanding is not something we are privy to. However it is not inconceivable that the brimstone at Sodom, was Just the beginning of an eternal brimstone that those cities were subjected to. Even though Genesis tells us what happened in the physical realm temporarily, that does not negate or involve us in understanding what happened in the Spiritual realm as a result of the same event.

2011/1/12 14:06Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Good question. In my estimation, what one thinks about the literalness of the fires of hell shows what they think about the life and ages to come. I believe there will be a literal hell fire. Why? Because I believe there will be a literal and physical resurrection of the damned in the age to come. Remember, Jesus said that there would be those who would be tossed "body AND soul" into everlasting fire.

So, suffering in hell is not just some everlasting spiritual torment that happens to some sort of disembodied spirit or soul. It's a literal flame that burns forever and ever, a real person, with a real body, that never can be destroyed or consumed. The worm will never grow tired in eating those who are so ill fated.

2011/1/12 14:17Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Friend,

This topic has been discussed here several times and as Readymind pointed out you can look at this lengthy thread if you are truly looking for the truth.

But to answer your question about Sodom and Gomorrah. What do you think the verse means by " giving themselves over to fornication "? Do you think it means the people of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, or the walls, stones, and earth? The object the verse is refering to when it says " set forth as an example suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" is the same objest that it refers to when it says "giving themselves over to fornication and going after a srange flesh". That object being the people of those cities.

2011/1/12 14:32Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I would also agree with Untobabes, and Star that the "cities" speaks of its inhabitants.

2011/1/12 14:36Profile
kwamenat

Re:

Ya but are they not literally burning right now as we speak?
I have located this link..It is more sound to me. I will read the suggested thread as well. My objective for this post is to come to the knowledge of truth from the word and not man's ideologies. I am not just posting things for the sake of posting. Please be sure of that.

http://www.helltruth.com/portals/2/hell-fire.pdf

2011/1/12 15:32Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi kwamenat...

Are you asking these questions (about Hell...or the Sabbath) because you sincerely want to know...or is there something else at work here?

This is not the place for a Seventh Day Adventist agenda. If you sincerely want to know, then by all means, ask. However, I hope that this isn't just a door that you are using to try and present your own particular views as "truth."

That said: There are many verses that present a view of an eternal punishment. Would you like to see them?

2011/1/12 16:08Profile

Re:

Consider the following passages:

"And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone." (Revelation 19:20)

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet ARE (still), and shall be tormented day and night FOREVER AND EVER." (Revelation 20:10)

(By Revelation 20:7 this is 1000 years after Revelation 19:20 quoted above).

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." (Revelation 20:14-15)

These actual accounts of the lake of fire show Jesus really meant what he said:

"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:43-48)

Notice three times the phrase "their worm." It's a personal possession, which those burnt up and nonexistent cannot have. There is no question about the eternal suffering of the wicked in hell.

2011/1/12 16:15
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

yes there is an eternal hell. This is a very important doctrine that needs to be brought to the Evangelical Church. Sadly many have not thought of this doctrine much in our day and hence we take our salvation and the mission to share the Gospel with the world not very important:

Part 1: Abiding Wrath
Part 2: Blackness of Darkness Forever
Part 3: Crying
Part 4: Damnation
Part 5: Everlasting Punishment
Part 6: Filthiness
Part 7: Gloom
Part 8: Hopelessness
Part 9: Indignation
Part 10: Judgement
Part 11: Keeping
Part 12: Lake Of Fire
Part 13: Memory
Part 14: No Rest
Part 15: Oblivion
Part 16: Pain
Part 17: Quandry
Part 18: Retribution
Part 19: Shame
Part 20: Thirsty
Part 21: Ungodliness
Part 22: Vengeance
Part 23: Woe
Part 24: Exclusion
Part 25: Yearning
Part 26: Zero Existence

WHAT MEN HAVE SAID ABOUT HELL
[i]The following quotations are from men of the first century to the present day. These men are all in agreement that there is an eternal Hell awaiting lost sinners.[/i]

[b]Part 1:[/b] What Men Have Said About Hell
[b]Part 2:[/b] What Men Have Said About Hell
[b]Part 3:[/b] What Men Have Said About Hell
[b]Part 4:[/b] What Men Have Said About Hell

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=6203&forum=45&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0

2011/1/12 16:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy