SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What's your favorite Paradigm?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

What's your favorite Paradigm?

I thought I would ask this question just our of curiousity in hopes my fate will be better than the cat :)

For those that may not know what a Paradigm is, its simply this How you think or see God and yourself for example a popular Paradigm would be a Father and Son. There are other paradigms but that is probably the most basic though this one Paradigm could be infinitely talked about without stressing or overusing it. :)

There are no wrong Paradigms as long as it lines up with the Word of God. For example a Paradigm that set man above God would be an unbiblical Paradigm.

Welp I hope this discussion is fruitful and encouraging

God Bless,
Matthew

2011/1/12 8:37Profile
knitefall

Re: What's your favorite Paradigm?

A paradigm shift...?

yeah, I think you know what you're doing. Picking on these poor helpless Believers with all this "paradigm rhetoric." nonsense! Nonsense I tell you!

all kidding aside, I hope this is not an attempt to introduce subversion into paradigm shifts. That's dangerous.

I mean, a paradigm is only two nickels put together. How can that end up as anything else other than 10¢

2011/1/12 8:46Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Perhaps I don't fully understand the word paradigm, and I have not intentions of shifting anyones paradigm.

I just thought it would be a profitable conversation since you don't necessarily think of God in the same way I think of God. I have found over time and discussion I have learned a lot about what other people thoutht about God. :)

So yeah my intentions are definitely pure in thought or at least in my conscious :)

2011/1/13 18:58Profile
Giggles

Re:

Paradigms are like the shaded glasses you wear when you read the Bible, everything shows up in that particular color. Some include:

-Father and son (as mentioned)
-Sinner or saint (as another current thread testifies)
-Bride and Bridegroom (up and coming, yet by no means new)
-God as Judge
-Christian as a servant/slave
-Christian as a soldier in a war (vs sin, flesh, and/or devil)
-Christian as a pilgrim
-Christian as a runner in a race
-Dispensationalism (with a focus on a literal Israel)
-Pre, Post, or A-millennial
-Active vs. Passive sanctification

Some read/live always under one of these themes. Everything is always filtered through them and realted in that "paradigm." Like, "If I am a soldier, how does this verse make sense in a war setting" or "how does this relate to the Jews?"

There's probably some other major ones. Someone who sees God as always an angry Judge, probably prays in a consistently penitential manner and warily reads Scripture's many admonitions. Whereas one who sees God as the source of joy and pleasure, may live a more spiritually hedonistic life. Neither one is correct or wrong, a balance that incorporates a full range of biblical paradigms is probably the healthiest.

2011/1/13 19:22Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

THANK YOU Giggles that is exactly what I am talking about or my intention with this post :) To help people find a balance of Paradigm and also to help others look through different paradigms. Awesome post btw I agree whole heartedly with it. We must find a balance of paradigms in order to be as healthy as we can be.

2011/1/13 19:31Profile
knitefall

Re:

I see. I think these then are attempts to become as smart as God, in trying to figure Him out. We can't fully comprehend Him. If we understood Him and knew all there is to know and had Him figured out, we'd be bigger than God is!

So I think that by being consumed with looking for these things, we miss the point. We might miss the Mark of Grace.

Beware of o/t practices in a New Cov't Church. The Holy Spirit directs and leads and guides.

Just want to offer a gentle nudge.

2011/1/14 0:24Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I believe these can be hazardous if you have an ill paradigm. I don't seek to become smarter than God or even "figure Him out" but I do seek to know Him.

I am a Father and so at times my children bless me with revelation I could only see through them being their Father. We are God's children and He delights in us as such. I believe the important point is to not forget the various other attributes of our Holy Father. That any good and loving Father can and will discipline His Children. (If you can't tell I enjoy greatly viewing God as my personal Father as scripture calls Him)

I do appreciate the nudge and I do acknowledge the danger of it all but I also and have been greatly blessed with such thinking and I would hardly think its New Cov't thinking, but it maybe seen to you as New Cov't vocabulary.

Any and every Paradigm must be backed up with Scripture kept in Context to what Scripture says about God. Trust me Im not trying to stir up some kind of strange revelation so that I can boast, but seek to look at the Revelation of the Bible and be refreshed by what we have already been given by God.

2011/1/14 0:38Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I know this is an incredibly delayed response, but I have been thinking and praying about this thread since it was posted. I think Mathew and Giggles are right on in perceiving these things. After thinking about it for a long time, it does not seem that Jesus was constrained by any one paradigm. How i/We need the mind of Christ. I think there is a lot of good that can come from considering both Giggles and Mathew's observations here.

2011/7/3 1:29Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Thanks for responsing I don't mind delayed responses. :)

In reading your bible have you become more aware of which Paradigm you look through? and if so Which one/ones?

We kind of came to the idea of a balanced view of God as one that is healthy if you see that same which paradigm would you say is your least used one?

Those maybe personal but if you don't mind sharing I would love reading your response to any of my questions, because as I said before reading and listening to others talk about how they view God has greatly made me more aware of something bigger than myself.

Thanks!
Matthew

2011/7/3 1:41Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Well, I can say, with much trepidation that I do not understand very well the idea of God as Father. I very much try to take all the blame for every ounce of my own owned sin, but I had a "dysfunctional" upbringing. This is nothing new or particularly special, many in our day have, since the family bricks in the foundation of our culture are shivering under their immoral load, legions of children are being raised without fathers. This is not a cry for sympathy from me, but just a statement of fact; I have no idea what having a father is like. (It is a bit uncharacteristic for me to speak this way, I am just being honest since you asked.) Therefore I tend to see God as God, and the Father aspect is...difficult for me to comprehend. Being raised the way I was, I have a tendency to lack compassion on suffering, and can tend toward seeing God as judge when things go wrong. I have always been resigned to accepting what comes in life as being...the will of God. It has been difficult for me to see that there is a "Fatherish" sense to God's will for my life that tends to slip through my fingers quite often. By that, I mean, I have a very hard time accepting the fact that his will toward me is like the will a father has for a son. Though I believe it technically, doctrinally, theologically, and any other ally you can think of. When the rubber meets the road in my life, I really struggle with God being a Father that cares about me. I know he has proven it through his son, and he has proven it to me personally time and time again, and I believe he is perfect in every way. Please do not take this as me questioning God in any way, I am confessing to you and the whole world, that there is a subconscious brokenness in my humanity that I still perceive is in serious need of mending. My wife would agree with me completely in this.

One of the way's this tends to manifest in my life is I generally have a lack of trust for men. Men in leadership, men in general. I can tend to question the motives of men, which is not healthy, as this is God's realm. So my paradigm finds a magnetism to men like John the Baptist, and Jesus in the Temple with the money changers, or Elijah on Mount Carmel. I can be attracted to these "paradigm's" in a natural way, which is not necessarily spiritual.

I have come to understand that I can be affectionate towards certain biblical concepts in a carnal way. As I have considered these things, along with Jesus admonition to the Pharisee's that it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks, I am vastly more aware of a "foothold" the devil has had in my life. That foothold is to emphasize certain truths to the exclusion of others. This is kind of difficult for me to explain, but there have been a few times where a slightly false teaching caused me to be offended in my youth as a believer. As a result for a long time I would preach against that particular falsehood on a regular basis because I wanted vindication about it, and I probably felt that if I got enough people to agree with how wrong that "false teaching" was, then maybe I could somehow countermand the wrongness of it all. I suspect though that this is not really the mind of Christ. He only did the things he saw his Father doing. I want to learn to do only the things I see Christ doing. Please just take this all as a confession...

2011/7/3 2:17Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy