SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I am yet learning, and need understanding....

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
foofee

I am yet learning, and need understanding....

I have a question, and would appreciate someone who has understanding in this area to please help me to understand, or direct me in the right direction to get it for myself. Please be gentle with me because I am learning. I feel that I have to state this because as I have been searching through the posts lately, as I am still kind of new, I've noticed that some are becoming intolerable of some of the things posted, and it has me kind of self-conscious about asking questions that some may feel to be... I don't know... ignorant, lame, etc. I state this out of love and being a "newbie" on here.

Since my conversion, I have pretty much live, and breath reading the word, praying, and fasting. There is not much more that I do outside of these things other than work, and take my kids back and forth to school. I have been battling myself over whether I can still do things such as, going to the mall (since I got a couple of gift cards for Christmas), take my children out to eat (like I did last night with a friend and her kids, but because I am not sure if I should be doing something like that, I felt guilty and confused over why I felt guilty), or even go out on a date. My birthday was on Dec 30, and because all I desire to do is please God, I don't want to do anything that may not be pleasing to Him, so for the most part of my b-day, I stayed at home and slept most of the day until I started feeling really lonely and sad that no one called, or even offered to do anything for me. So, I ended up calling a (girl)friend, and went to the mall to eat and a movie.

At first, I didn't feel guilty, but later I wondered if I was sinning or displeasing God because I decided to do something outside of spending time with Him in reading, meditating, and praying. I'm starting to go a little "stir-crazy" along with my children out of feeling that a true child of God does not do things like these and I must stay at home away from worldly influence reading, and praying. Is this correct, or am I causing undue challenges for myself?

There are idols that I had when I was very much caught up in the world, such as my earrings, and make-up, which I would get from "the mall" and any other make-up, or jewelery store. However, since being saved by God, I don't have the desire to spend my last and do crazy things to obtain those things, but because I once did, I have told myself that I can no longer go around or into the places that have those items.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE FOR ME BEFORE I GO CRAZY. BUT, WITH GENTLENESS PLEASE =) FOR I HAVE A SINCERE ISSUE THAT I AM NEEDING HELP WITH FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE MATURE AND SEASONED IN YOUR WALK WITH GOD.

Thank you in advance. For, I'm sure that God will touch someone's heart just as He has before concerning me. God Bless you!

2011/1/8 16:56Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: I am yet learning, and need understanding....

Foofee, this is the kind of struggle that almost every Christian goes through to some extent or another. It would be good for you to remember that Jesus was accused of being a wine-bibber.

Our Christianity and being part of the church is far more about what we do than it is about what we don't do. Seek to discover what God's will for you to do is, in order to advance his kingdom rather than seeking all the ways in which you are not supposed to "touch" this unclean world. A good apprehending of the sermon on the mount is essential in this area as it helps us to understand that it is not about what goes into us that makes us evil...it is what comes out of us. If Christ is being allowed to scour your soul of its wretchedness then you can do what the old saints used to say..."Love God with all your heart, and do whatever you want."

The Devil will always seek to make us afraid and tentative and repressed by his influence in the world. It never has been and it never will be Christs intention for us (in general) to avoid rubbing shoulders with the world. Where you are at is a somewhat vulnerable time that Christ will carry you through should you keep on trusting Him. To far down the way you are going is the path of legalism, and it leads us into spiritual despondency.

However if you feel convicted about the things that you are doing, for conscience sake, seek to do other things that are more glorifying to God. Just don't fall into the trap of privatizing, and cloistering yourself from the world. For God so loved it...

2011/1/8 17:15Profile
foofee

Re:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!! I really appreciate this and got a little scared at the idea of me treading the path of legalism. For God knows that I don't want to do, believe, or say anything that is not in accordance to His word, and will for my life. That is why I feel the need to reach out for support. I have been wanting to seek advice and help on this issue for quite sometime, but allowed myself to be intimidated by my own thoughts and fears to bring it forth in order to seek help. Once again, I thank God for using you and this website to help further my walk and understanding of what it is He does and does not want for me.

~Felicia~

2011/1/8 17:24Profile

Re: I am yet learning, and need understanding....

Foofee,

I am a newbie also living and breathing the bible:) I don't really know the answer to your query I just wanted to say welcome and please don't feel anything you say is stupid, you are our sister in Jesus Christ and we are here for you.

2011/1/8 17:35
foofee

Re:

I also want to state that I praise God for ALL that He is doing and will continue to do in ALL OF OUR LIVES! I am joyous right now in the fact that everyone of us on here and those who are not, Jesus loves us! My excitement at this very moment is due to the fact that the couple of post that I have placed on here were posted with some opposition from the enemy of course. When I got ready to post this struggle of mine, the enemy had me to think that I was not being a true believer to concern myself with things that are of this world, such as what I mentioned in this post. So, I hesitated for a moment on posting it, but decided to do so anyway. While I was trying to get everything out so that I may have some light shed on the issue, my children started acting out of order, and I had to take a moment to deal with that and it almost discouraged me to the point that I didn't want to continue on in explaining my problem. However, I pressed through my frustration with what was going on in my home anyway.

As a result, I have gotten some much needed counsel for the betterment of my walk with God. I don't have to allow the enemy to beat me up and have me fall into a pit of despair and hopelessness that I could have created for myself for my lack of knowledge, that I am continually asking God for, and in His own way is revealing to me. The best way to increase in knowledge is through the word, and seeking God in prayer for understanding. This I know. But, I also know that God will use other people to help aid us in our quest for knowledge which is what I have gotten here, and am so very grateful.

So, THANK YOU! Most of all... THANK YOU GOD!!!!

2011/1/8 17:36Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy