SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Divine Nature - II Peter 1:4

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

The Divine Nature - II Peter 1:4

I hope this is some firewood for fellowship...

“…He has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature.” –II Peter 1:4

The flesh and the devil will miss no opportunity to prevent this from happening. The former wars against the Spirit, (1) and the latter despises the siblings of resurrection for the bruising migraine our elder brother dealt him (2). In tandem they do all within their power to resist the divine nature. In his commentary on the term nature, Gr. phusis: φύσις, Spiros Zhodiates (3) rightly observes that this does not speak of some mystical spiritual essence as ‘some have interpreted,’ but rather it implies the compendium of God’s attributes.

The term “partakers,” is derived from the word, Gr. koinonos: κοινωνός, this word is completely tied to the idea of fellowship and communion. In fact both of those terms are synonymous with the word koinonia in greek. This knowledge ought to bring to mind the statement; “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. (4)” Here we see that Jesus’ teaching on communion speaks of far more than just remembering, tied to the idea is the concept of fellowshipping, or partaking, it speaks of utter familial relationship. As a matter of fact this saying scared people off. When Jesus taught the message that his followers must partake of him just as he partook of the Father, many of his disciples followed him no more. (5) Two-thousand years later, not very much has changed. So many want only from Christ that which appeals to human nature, rather than moving beyond his forgiveness to allow him to infiltrate and displace their nature with his.

“The kingdom of heaven suffers violence and the violent take it by force. (6)” There is a vicious tenacity Jesus expects from his followers. Not vicious in a sinful way, but violent in a righteous way. Those who are content to idly masticate the elements of communion without this “violence (7)” are storing up damnation against themselves. (8) There is probably no greater definition of “unworthiness” toward this communion of Christ than disinterest. Such a disposition does not care one whit about Jesus’ desires, and treats the elements as if they were dropped out of a cheap dirty vending machine. Just take two of these and sin again in the morning. (The devil’s orders of course!)

However, if you have run from “evil desire,” as if the clutches of it were the flaky, charcoal grasp of the devil himself, then hunker down and lock shields with the warrior church, (9) and make “every effort, (10)” to add to your faith virtue, knowledge, self-control, steadfastness, godliness, brotherly affection, and love. For if these “attributes” be in you, and are increasing, then you will be fruitful in your knowledge of Jesus. And you will be a partaker of the divine nature, through fellowship, because of proper communion with your elder brother. It is no wonder Jesus will not recognize dead works of the flesh, and will say unto some…”Depart from me for I never knew you.”

1. Galatians 5:17
2. Genesis 3:15
3. Spiros Zhodiates, The Complete Word Study Dictionary 1992 AMG International., Inc. Revised Edition, page 1459
4. John 6:57 KJV
5. John 6:66 KJV
6. Matthew 11:12
7. (I recognize I am making a loose connection here, bear with this more as a metaphor than a rock solid exigetical connection)
8. 1 Corinthians 11:29
9. Ephesians 6:10-18
10. 2 Peter 1:5-8

2011/1/7 14:30Profile
washad

arkansas

Re: The Divine Nature - II Peter 1:4

Thought provoking words! II Peter 1:3-4 are some verse I have been meditating on for a while now. I agree that partaking of Christ is outputting to many and yet it is for this very purpose that we have been granted exceeding great and precious promises. Verse three tells us that salvation is key to this experience. Far from "all roads lead to God" it is clear that no man can come to the Father but by Jesus. Also it is not by way of strength or intellect that we are made worthy to commune with the Most High but through His divine power. Again not of ourselves it is the gift of God. I am so thankful that God has given us this opportunity in Christ. This does lead me to the question.
Exactly what are these promises? Which ones exactly lead us to a place of communion with God? Are these set apart from others or do all of the promises work together to bring us to the place of blessed communion?

2011/1/7 17:03Profile

Re: The Divine Nature - II Peer 1:4

Surely the only thing which prevented us from fellowship with God, was sin?

It follows then, that His work on the cross when we receive it, is the basis of our fellowship with Him. If not associated with our continuing obedience to His teachings, this fellowship is likely to be short-lived.

2011/1/7 17:35
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

This was a blessing to me. I have been thinking about the promises we have in Him for many months now. Though we have nothing else on earth, hold tight to His promise of return. Abraham believed the promise so it was accounted to Him for righteousness, though the promise had not actually yet taken place. Though victory looks and seems afar off, hold tight!

I actually quoted that same verse in another thread. What a blessing it was to see it again!! What a precious Saviour we serve.

2011/1/7 21:55Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

2 Peter 1:8
For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

diligence, faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, charity - as we press on in these things we will never be barren in Christ. Nor will we ever fall vs. 10

2011/1/7 22:07Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Washad

Quote:
Exactly what are these promises? Which ones exactly lead us to a place of communion with God? Are these set apart from others or do all of the promises work together to bring us to the place of blessed communion?

Peter in verse four says "Whereby," directing us back to somewhere in the first three verses of the passage. So the promises are attached to the "calling" of us unto glory and virtue, through the knowledge of him. I believe in using context first to determine what Peter is getting at. To be honest it is always such a temptation to jump around (like I did in my post) but the promises Peter is referring to are attached to our calling. The very calling of God for us to be his children is laden with promise by its very nature.

Now that I have said that, it is probably safe to jump around the New Testament and attempt to understand what those promises are a bit. But Romans makes it clear that all who are in "the faith," are "children" of Abraham. And Abraham was counted righteous for believing a "promise."

Romans 4:20-25 says: "He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness. Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; Who was delivered for our offenses, and was raised again for our justification."

Paul associates the promise Abraham believed with believing on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead. Ergo, it is safe to say that the fundamental promise of God that I am pretty positive Peter takes for granted in his Epistle, and assumes we all understand (Because 2 Peter is not an evangelical epistle by any means) that we are under the sway of Calvary's croon. (By the way, in my opinion this is one of the most important parts of Romans to understand.)

In every sense the cross is God's greatest promise. This is probably one of the reasons Jesus said that the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than John the Baptist, because the "Promise" is so much bigger, so much more manifest, so much more laden with potential. Abraham spawned a nation. The promise of the cross bursts through the barriers of every nation.

II Corinthians 1:20 says, "For all the promises of God in him are yea, and amen, unto the glory of God by us." It seems as if the clincher of that verse is the "in him" portion. In other words, all that Christ is, is promise. We see the life and commands of Christ as promise itself. There is a real good Zac Poonen Sermon on this passage, and at the moment I do not remember what it was called.

So I personally would encourage a degree of caution in assuming that Peter is referring to every "promise" in scripture, as there are many promises which are conditional and were pertinent to individuals, and particular to national Israel. We may be able to draw application, and respond in fashions to those conditions by faith in unique ways, but I am personally endeavoring myself to grasp the "Christ-Cross-Resurrection-Divine Nature" promises.

However, Peter does use the word Promise in Plural, so it speaks beyond just one promise, so it cannot be limited to just the cross, but may include the cross, the resurrection, the ascension, and the sitting down of Christ on the right hand of the Father. And I think his taking for granted our grasping of exactly which ones he is referring to does grant us the privilege to, by faith, discover them for ourselves.

I think that the imperative to grasp in II Peter is that the appropriation of the Divine Nature, and obeying the first chapter is our protection against the deceptive creeps and beasts who use the basest lusts of human flesh to lead people away the faith. This is why we all need to reckon ourselves dead to any form of carnal manipulation when it comes to leading people to Christ. If we are appealing to people's basest lusts...I shake at such a thing.

Peter again emphasizes the importance of discovering, not just our election, but our callings in Christ...in order that we will never fall -verse 10.

The whole second chapter talks about how evil men use lust and perversion in order to draw people away. 2:18 uses the word in the KJV "Wantonness." That wantonness is described by Spiros Zhodiates as being "debauchery, sexual excess, absence of restraint, arrogance, insolence referring to words, and an insatiable desire for pleasure." The word is "Aselgia" in gr.

If we hold the divine nature afforded to us by Christ up as the diamond against the backdrop of chapters two and three, then we grasp more astutely why Peter is making such a big deal about appropriating those promises and appropriating the divine nature, our very lives are on the line.

To Christ, for his precious promises, be every ounce and scintilla of glory.

Sorry for the long post. Some times questions are just to big to answer in a small one for me. I also am not sure Washad that I fully grasp those promises in entirety for myself. I have wrestled over that passage in II Corinthians more than a few times. What are some of your thoughts?

2011/1/8 1:28Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: StarofGod

Quote:
Abraham believed the promise so it was accounted to Him for righteousness, though the promise had not actually yet taken place. Though victory looks and seems afar off, hold tight!

Amen Star! So true, and very apropos!

2011/1/8 1:29Profile

Re: The Divine Nature - II Peter 1:4

Brother this is blessed reading.

I was just reading Ephesians 5 and then found this thread.

We are "washed by the cleansing of The WORD" Eph 5:26, Joh 12:48, Joh 15:3, and Bless GOD, there's enough to read in your post.

We're taught that we should meditate on His WORD, each verse in context of the chpt it's found in and the surrounding chpts and chew it slowly as we read - over and over again.

Due to the days we're living in, I felt led to post part of this Chpt 5, line by line and see what is being said, just in these 21 verses alone - seeing that this is one continual thought of instruction in how we are to conduct ourselves -

Eph 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

Eph 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Eph 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

Eph 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

Eph 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Eph 5:12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

Eph 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Eph 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

Eph 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Eph 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Eph 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

LORD Bless

2011/1/13 14:17
kwamenat

Re:

I especially love this text..

Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

we are becoming SAINTS...Amen!

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.(2 Corinthians 3:18)

Christ in us..the HOPE of glory!

2011/1/13 16:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy