SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hudson Taylors Spiritual Secret PT 1- Fitting Into the Culture

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
learjet

Hudson Taylors Spiritual Secret PT 1- Fitting Into the Culture

I got my new book and read to about page 80 last night, here's my first thoughts:

I found it interesting last night when I was reading 'Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret' that his ministry completely took off when he started dressing like the Chinese people. Clearly this word that he received about it was from the Lord, there's no doubt about it.

Sadly, this kind of brokenness doesn't happen much anymore.

There are a few things that he had to accept to even start praying along these lines.

He realized that there was a culture, and changed his appearance to fit into it, because of the message, not his desire for 'worldliness'. He changed, the message stayed the same. In my opinion, this was same reason that Timothy was circumcised in the book of Acts, it was done out of sacrifice. Timothy must have figured 'if the Jews will listen to my message as the result of the cutting off of my skin, then I will do it'. Paul says that he circumcised Timothy, but Timothy first had to agree with it or Paul would have never have done it.

Do you ever wonder why the house church movement doesn't take off in the US? It's not in the culture. You will never win a culture battle, but the Holy Spirit can pluck people of the culture out of it.

Taylor did not waste his time fighting as one beating the air against the culture. He accepted it, fit in, and used it to his advantage like a wise man.

This is a hard road to hoe here in the US because Pharisee's come out of the woodwork to condemn you every time you do anything that 'they perceive' as carnal. The problem isn't in the things, it's their perception that is the problem!

If you have a worship team.... They say you are 'soulish'.
If you have a building... They say you aren't 'in line with the New Testament model'.
If you have a New Testament Model... They say you are 'throwing out the Old Testament'.

I'm tired of worrying about religious people, I just want to be in a group of believers who love Jesus more than anything.

I love you all!

In Christ,
Earl J

2011/1/7 12:55Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: Hudson Taylors Spiritual Secret PT 1- Fitting Into the Culture

All of this talk of Hudson Taylor, I have decided to also finish reading it. I have had the books for months! but have yet to finish it.

His discipline intrigues me, in only eating bread to save money. Reminds me of Brother Yun eating only rice. His account of being on the ship also reminds me of Amy Carmichael.

Quote:
I found it interesting last night when I was reading 'Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret' that his ministry completely took off when he started dressing like the Chinese people. Clearly this word that he received about it was from the Lord, there's no doubt about it.

Amy Carmichael also did this.
1 Corinthians 9:22
"... I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some."

2011/1/10 11:09Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy