SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Oh, the vast sums of money that are gotten by the trade they make of selling the Scriptures

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Oh, the vast sums of money that are gotten by the trade they make of selling the Scriptures

The below quote by George Fox was a rebuke given in his days 1600's but I believe it is very applicable to the modern day church and ministries in North America in the 2000's. It is not aimed directly at any other ministry but would be beneficial to be read by every Christian organization. Let us be honest with ourselves and others and try to endevour to make the Gospel free to the world, if that requires more prayer rather than more advertising, so be it!

------

The earthly spirit of the priests wounded my life; and when I heard the bell toll to call people together to the steeple-house, it struck at my life; for it was just like a market-bell, to gather people together, that the priest might set forth his ware for sale. Oh, the vast sums of money that are gotten by the trade they make of selling the Scriptures, and by their preaching, from the highest bishop to the lowest priest! What one trade else in the world is comparable to it? [b]notwithstanding the Scriptures were given forth freely, and Christ commanded His ministers to preach freely[/b], and the prophets and apostles denounced judgment against all covetous hirelings and diviners for money. But in this free Spirit of the Lord Jesus was I sent forth to declare the Word of life and reconciliation freely, that all might come to Christ, who gives freely, and who renews up into the image of God, which man and woman were in before they fell, that they might sit down in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.
-George Fox

2010/12/29 14:37Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Oh, the vast sums of money that are gotten by the trade they make of selling the

I give this a big thumbs up, the ministry my wife and I as working on is completely free and our desire is to keep it this way. I really enjoy the example Paul gave us night and day he worked to offer the gospel for free.

2010/12/29 15:04Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: Oh, the vast sums of money that are gotten by the trade they make of selling the

What Fox was crying against here was the professional clergy, whom he called "hirelings" who sold what Christ had freely given.

Fox separated himself from the "organized church system" of his day because of its abuses. In fact he wouldn't even call them churches. He called them "steeple houses."

Many in our day glory in his writings... but are we willing to walk in his footsteps?

2010/12/29 15:59Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

quote;
Fox separated himself from the "organized church system" of his day because of its abuses. In fact he wouldn't even call them churches. He called them "steeple houses."
I tend to call them Clubs ... What also comes to mind about the money being made, is how easily justified it is by those involved. also what about the 'full time' worship leaders!! Oh well , i guess nothing can be done about all the corruption, seeing its been going on since before Fox saw it. :-)

2010/12/29 18:23Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy