Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : MAINTAINING A PRAYER LIFE

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Joyful_Heart

MAINTAINING A PRAYER LIFE

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 29, 2010
MAINTAINING A PRAYER LIFE David Wilkerson

I must maintain a life of prayer in order to overcome spiritual dryness. Why is it that none of us pray as we should? We know that our burdens can all be lifted when we are shut in with him. The voice of the Holy Spirit keeps calling us to prayer, “Come!”

Come to the water that satisfies that soul thirst. Come to the Father, who pities his children. Come to the Lord of life, who promises to forgive every sin committed. Come to the One who refuses to condemn you or forsake you or hide from you.

We may try to hide from God because of guilt and condemnation but he never hides from us. Come boldly to his throne of grace, even when you have sinned and failed. He instantly forgives those who repent with godly sorrow. You don’t have to spend hours and days in remorse and guilt or earn your way back into his good graces. Go to the Father, bend your knees, open your heart, and cry out your agony and pain. Tell him about your loneliness, feelings of isolation, fears, and failures.

We try everything except prayer. We read books, looking for formulas and guidelines. We go to friends, ministers, and counselors, looking everywhere for a word of comfort or advice. We seek mediators and forget the one Mediator who has the answer to everything.

Nothing dispels dryness and emptiness more quickly than an hour or two shut in with God. Nothing can take the place of praying to the Father in that secluded secret closet. That is the solution to every dry spell.

“For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring” (Isaiah 44:3).

2010/12/29 11:02Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re: MAINTAINING A PRAYER LIFE

Quote:
Why is it that none of us pray as we should?

Very good question.

2010/12/29 11:59Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

"Pray without ceasing" has always encouraged me to walk in close communion with the Lord "in the Spirit".

Overcoming lies from the enemy is the bottom line on maintaining prayer. Oh yeah, don't forget the lazy flesh.

One I have dealt with is repetition.

We are not talking about "vain" repetition like some religious prayer. Sometimes we may be in a theme of intercession for a family or an ungodly co-worker who is bound by lies that they have "sinned to far" or that God doesn't love them. This stronghold must be dis-mantled. or pulled down over their lives so we address this matter.
We may ask God to give them grace to believe the truth that they have heard and the truth that we have spoken to them.

As we cry out for grace to be given repeatedly, and in different ways, our own need of grace is magnified, our faith that really anything that gets done is through grace is increased, and our passion with faith increases for that need or family.

While all this is going on, our love for God is growing and our love for the people we are praying for is growing. We are being humbled by the enormous need we are praying about which means we are getting more grace because He resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.

That kicks in our insatiable appetite for praising our Awesome God and we are once again lost in repeating ourselves with expressions of adoration and praise.

The enemy says we are just repeating ourselves to hinder us from pressing in.

I think we should repeat ourselves until we get the break through. How about "I will not let you go til you bless me!" Or how about "Yes Lord, but even the dogs eat the crumbs from the masters table!"Or how about "Ask, seek, knock! " Or how about the importune woman!"

Conclusion is repetition of a theme in prayer can be powerful and we shouldn't let the enemy slow us down by his puny taunts.

Ruf

2010/12/30 8:04Profile

Re:

Dear Ruf. Just wanted to thank you for your post and let you know that it fell on thirsty soil. Thank you.

2011/1/1 10:56
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Amen brothers. Very encouraging.

2011/1/1 18:38Profile

Re:

Quote:
I think we should repeat ourselves until we get the break through

Yes, I agree.

We know it's not a formula, but there will be times that we do repeat the same words over and over. We do it not so much to remind God, that is never the reason. The reason is to keep our mind focused on the Spirit. It's so easy for our minds to wander in prayer, in fact, I am so bombarded with "things to do" other than praying. I told that to a friend of mine once which to me was pretty discouraging at the time as a young believer and my friend told me to take a pen and paper and lay it there where I am praying so that whenever the flesh or the devil reminds me of some other duty that I should be doing other than praying, to jot that chore down to do later. Once it's written down, it's no longer a thought that I need reminding. It's funny how many things come to mind that needs to get done that we've neglected when we get down to pray.

I will admit that I haven't done some serious praying in a long time, but I do pray every day while I am working and going about the day, just not on my knees. Most times it's on my pillow, it's there that most of my weeping, regrets, anxieties, sins, praises and song and what have you are offered up.

2011/1/1 20:21

"We try everything except prayer. We read books, looking for formulas and guidelines. We go to friends, ministers, and counselors, looking everywhere for a word of comfort or advice. We seek mediators and forget the one Mediator who has the answer to everything."

Brother David is right on the mark as usual. Prayer is so neglected..........brother Frank

2011/1/1 20:43

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy