SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Hudson Taylor - Powerful Quotes on Prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Hudson Taylor - Powerful Quotes on Prayer

"Do not have your concert first, and then tune your instrument afterwards. Begin the day with the Word of God and prayer, and get first of all into harmony with Him.”

“Perhaps if there were more of that intense distress for souls that leads to tears, we should more frequently see the results we desire. Sometimes it may be that while we are complaining of the hardness of the hearts of those we are seeking to benefit, the hardness of our own hearts and our feeble apprehension of the solemn reality of eternal things may be the true cause of our want of success.”

"Since the days of Pentecost, has the whole church ever put aside every other work and waited upon Him for ten days, that the Spirit’s power might be manifested? We give too much attention to method and machinery and resources, and too little to the source of power."

"The power of prayer has never been tried to its full capacity in any church. If we want to see mighty wonders of divine grace and power wrought in the place of weakness, failure and disappointment, let the whole Church answer God's standing challenged; "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knows not."

"Do we give sufficient attention to the theme of gaining Christ? It is our joy and privilege to know Him as God's unspeakable gift, but none knew this more fully than the apostle Paul. But was he satisfied with this knowledge? Or was Paul's soul-consuming desire, at all possible cost, to gain Christ; and thus to know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings? Oh that Christ may be so known by us as a ‘living, bright reality’ that our one desire-our one absorbing heart-passion may be that we personally gain Christ-that we personally know Him as the apostle longed to do."

"You must go forward on your knees."

"All God’s giants have been weak men, who did great things for God because they believed that God would be with them."

“I myself, for instance, am not especially gifted, and am shy by nature, but my gracious and merciful God and Father inclined Himself to me, and when I was weak in faith He strengthened me while I was still young. He taught me in my helplessness to rest on Him, and to pray even about little things in which another might have felt able to help himself.”

“The branch of the vine does not worry, and toil, and rush here to seek for sunshine, and there to find rain. No; it rests in union and communion with the vine; and at the right time, and in the right way, is the right fruit found on it. Let us so abide in the Lord Jesus.”

"To every toiling, heavy-laden sinner, Jesus says, ‘Come to me and rest’. But there are many toiling, heavy-laden believers, too. For them this same invitation is meant. Note well the words of Jesus, if you are heavy-laden with your service, and do not mistake it. It is not, ‘Go, labor on,’ as perhaps you imagine. On the contrary, it is stop, turn back, ‘Come to me and rest.’ Never, never did Christ send a heavy laden one to work; never, never did He send a hungry one, a weary one, a sick or sorrowing one, away on any service. For such the Bible only says, ‘Come, come, come.’"

"In Shansi I found Chinese Christians who were accustomed to spend time in fasting and prayer. They recognized that this fasting, which so many dislike, which requires faith in God, since it makes one feel weak and poorly, is really a Divinely appointed means of grace. Perhaps the greatest hindrance to our work is our own imagined strength; and in fasting we learn what poor, weak creatures we are-dependent on a meal of meat for the little strength which we are so apt to lean upon."

"I have found that there are three stages in every great work of God: first, it is impossible, then it is difficult, then it is done."

2010/12/26 16:28Profile

Re: Hudson Taylor - Powerful Quotes on Prayer

I love this man. If ever there were a walking Epistle, read by man, it was/is this man.
In one of Watchman Nee's books that I read when newly saved, he quotes Hudson Taylor and from that point on I knew I met someone that I'd admire more than most.
I don't have the quote verbatim but it was to the affect that, in his later days he stated that even in his greatest prayers or loftiest sermons and so forth, he still saw the tinge of flesh. What an amazingly humble man. He didn't just sit behind some desk or stand behind some pulpit all of his life. I just find him to be an Amazing man, period, that GOD blessed & is still blessing us with.

Thank you

2010/12/27 0:12

Re:

These are incredible. Thanks for posting them. The last one in particular has had a rather substantial influence on my life over the last year or so.

2010/12/27 3:32

Re:

Amen EverestoSama - definitely felt the same upon reading that one last night.

I felt a need to clarify for those not familiar with the context of Nee's book(s).
In them, "Flesh" equals "self".
Some limit that term 'flesh' to only pertain to blatant or obvious 'sin'.
Just felt to clarify, so as to not mar Hudson Taylor's character in any way.

2010/12/27 10:06

Re:

This must be J. Hudson Taylor day. I haven't been able to get him off of my mind since this thread.

I wanted to find some of his books online. Here are a few -
http://articles.ochristian.com/preacher73-1.shtml

What an impact this has had on me today. I really needed uplifting & the encouragement. Thanks you!

2010/12/27 19:49
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I am reading Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret and it is really ministering to me. What a God glorifying life he lived. May we follow in the plans of God for our lifes.

God uses broken failed, flawed vessels for His glory.

2010/12/27 20:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy