Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Really want to talk about bible versions

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
fromtheold

South Africa

Really want to talk about bible versions

Edit:

Sorry, I deleted this. Maybe i should just figure out myself. Thanks.

2010/12/23 16:19Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Really want to talk about bible versions

fromtheold,

Personally, my lap Bible is the King James but I don’t get bent out of shape about making other people read what I read – I grew up reading it and studying it, so I’m comfortable with it but note that I readily use other versions to help amplify the meaning of a verse.

I mostly use the Online Bible (similar to the e-Sword) and you can download the starter pack for free at (http://onlinebible.net/) and then build upon it by adding modules. The best way I’ve found (if you can) is to just purchase a 39.99 DVD (for 4 GIGS of Bible info!!) and then purchase any extra versions you want to use.

Biblegateway.com can also help you to see all the versions that you might like to use or understand (without spending any money).

Please remember, for 5,000 years or so, man never had a “Bible” they were led by the Spirit of God and now that we have it, we kill each other with it with rules and regulations.....

“Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the Spirit: for the letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.” (2 Cor 3.5-6)

God bless you,

Lisa

2010/12/23 18:01Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I agree with Lisa on this one. I personally have used the NIV for years but have started taking a liking to the NASB. I actually downloaded E-Sword and it has been a major blessing holding not only a ton of different bible versions but also commentary and other resources, its something I highly recommend!

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/12/23 20:28Profile
RockSound

Victoria, Australia.

Re: Really want to talk about bible versions

There are many different versions on the original scriptures which of course were written and recorded in Hebrew for the Old Testament, with the New Testament being recorded in the artistic language of the day, Greek. There are many different reference tools available on the internet, I agree with the posts above, with bible gateway, e-sword and also the tool which I often utilise the Blue Letter Bible having an amazing amount of reference material for the discerning seeker.
From my own enquiries within my local church, I have obtained the following. There is no one stand out version of Gods infallible word, but it is to ones own discernment with the perpetual guidance of the Holy Spirit, that you select and stay with a version that you are comfortable with. I started with the KJV many years ago then progressed onto the NKJV. I do not say that any one version is superior to another. There are man made interpretive errors in each version, but with the discernment of the Holy Spirit, we can be aware of these and see them for what they are, man made errors through interpretation. There are No errors in Gods Word.
There is one mans interpretation of the word, which I have an aversion for. I cannot agree with E. Pattersons "The Message". This interpretation is filled with new age, and not so new age sayings. As an example, right in the middle of Our Lords prayer, "The Message", you will find an ancient Egyptian occultic saying "as above, so below". This implies as in Heaven, so here on Earth. This Is Not So. Yet many are drawn to this so called version without being aware of its content, wrapped around sound scripture. Jesus said in Mark 12:38 and Luke 20:46-47 "beware of the scribes". (I make no intention to take this scripture out of context). No matter which version of Gods Word you settle on, do so in Truth and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit who is Truth Himself.

2010/12/23 22:14Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Great post RockSound. I agree that every english version has its errors. The only infallible Scriptures were the originals from the prophets and apostles themselves in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. Unfortunately we do not have those originals anymore but copies of them, copies which differ in minor points or words. Like you stated, the Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth whether we use KJV, NKJV, ASV, NASB, NIV, NLT, etc. I agree with you regarding "The Message". The Spirit will let us know if there is heresy in a translation, like in the New World Translation of the JWs.

2010/12/23 23:45Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I used the NIV when I was first saved 14 years ago and have used many versions since. The KJV has been and still is wonderful to me, with its language usage and severity in its application. I have recently been using the NIV much more especially when traveling abroad to preach or teach because it is so much easier to be translated and understood.

We are in a day of bible translation confusion with over 1000 bible translations in the last 30 years in english only! I would say try to stick mostly with one to memorize and share from. You will benefit much more that way I believe and I speak that from experience!

2010/12/24 2:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy