SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Inerrancy of the Bible Discussed

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lucash

Kentucky

The Inerrancy of the Bible Discussed

I got in a small discussion with my mother about the inerrancy of the Bible. She raised the note that the two lineages of Christ in the NT are different. Now, I know they are different, as I have read the passages many times. I don't have access to a theologians commentary, but I do have an ESV Study Bible. In my personal study, I have come to believe that the Bible is indeed inerrant and does not contradict itself. If you believe otherwise, please just bear with me here! 2 Timothy 3:16 says "All scripture is breathed out by God..." this is not taken out of context in this case.

God is perfect. He is all knowing. From the beginning of time He knew of me and planned my steps before me. How can anyone think that what He says contradicts something He wrote? I can't understand that.

Maybe I am just venting here I do not really know. I needed a place to get my thoughts written out, and SI was my place to do it!

At the end of the night, I came to the conclusion that God does not desire for us to debate such things. He only wants us to praise Him and bring glory to His name! Why do we spend SO much time debating "Well Peter meant this" or "Paul meant that". I understand there is a group of people who desire to have that extra knowledge and the extra ounce of understanding or even the capacity for a little more wisdom, but in the end I think it's all vanity. Solomon was given wisdom by the Almighty himself! Yet when he wrote Ecclesiastes, he clearly states that wisdom itself is vanity! Anyways, I do desire for such wisdom, knowledge, and understanding as previously stated. However, I do not want to prioritize those things to such an extent, they stand in the way of bringing glory to God. That is where it stops for me, and I believe that is where it should stop for others trying to accomplish the same thing as well.

We are on a need to know basis with God, and I praise Him for that! I would not want to be the Guy with all the answers.

2010/12/22 23:53Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re: The Inerrancy of the Bible Discussed

I was just about to embark on my usual rant against the backwoods, hillbilly, hayseed doctrine of inerrancy...but you are right: bickering over the doctrines of men is a waste of time. It is not what God has called us to do.

Good word.

2010/12/23 8:54Profile
Renoncer

Lucash, you are right that wisdom for wisdom's sake is vanity. Instead, may it be for the glory of God.

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. (2 Peter 3:18)

2010/12/23 9:16Profile
DesertRose

Boston.MA

Scripture says, “Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. I think that is your point and you are not saying you reject 2Timothy 2:15.Is that correct?
I want to say that the Bible can be explained, yet spiritual things are spiritually discerned. My mother as well asked a similar question prior to her being born again.
She mentioned casually that I could not believe everything written in it. I was not able at that time to engage her in a discussion, such as what parts are not believable to you at the time. Also I want to point out that the two lineages are extremely important as they show prophecy is being fulfilled. One is the kingly lineage from David and the other is Christ's human lineage.
I thought of this scripture from Ephesians 4 as I read your post.
I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift. Therefore it says,
"When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men."……………………………….
................he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

2010/12/23 10:17Profile
rookie

Re:

One lineage is through Solomon, the kingly side of the family from which Joseph decended. The other lineage is through the priesthood from which Mary decended. Our Savior is both King and Priest.

In Christ
Jeff

2010/12/23 10:58Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Jeff is right. They simply follow two branches of the family that had intersected once before. No contradiction, just interesting genaeology.

2010/12/23 12:15Profile
Lucash

Kentucky

Re:

Thank you so much Jeff! That really was helpful not just to tell my mother, but to help me out! That's very interesting.

2010/12/23 12:26Profile

Re:

Amen and thank you Jeff.

Quote:
I was just about to embark on my usual rant against the backwoods, hillbilly, hayseed doctrine of inerrancy

LORD forgive you.

2010/12/23 12:31
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Thank God that His word is inerrant, infallible and inspired of God. If we say there are errors, when God says His word is truth- who is telling the truth? God's word is what it says it is. If it isn't, which part is true and which part is lies?
We can study the Bible to learn the answers to the things we do not understand.

2010/12/23 12:33Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Rookie, how do you see the priestly lineage form Mary?

I ask that because the author of Hebrew chapter 7 make the argument that Christ is a priest after the order of Melchizedek and not after the order of Aaron.

Also when I looked it up in Matthew and Luke, I see both lineages lead to Judah, the kingly line, but none leads to Levi.

I am not trying to argue, just thought you see something there or have an insight.

2010/12/23 15:35Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy