SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : A Child is Born

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

A Child is Born

Luke 2:9-11 "9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord."

This time of year is filled with hussle and bussle, buying and selling and it seems each year the world grows further and further away from the meaning of this festive season. I know there are many who are opposed to Christmas and I know there are those that have formed strong opinions of this season. Personally I have no problem with Christmas, I believe its a wonderful time of giving and sharing and even a deep remembrance of our dear Saviour's birth. We have a commercialized holiday now though and it brings sorrow to the heart that traditions have lost the meaning. I have even seen many occasions where Christians can get down right rude with their traditions and hurt their testimony. An unsuspecting cashier worker wishes a Christian "Happy Holidays" being polite only to be meet with a "NOOO It's Merry Christmas" As a Christian I must say that this is just silliness, we can't see nor judge the intentions of the losts heart. But we are relentless to say they are trying to remove Christ from this time of year and if you don't say something OH Man watch OUT because it means you are an obvious coward of the Faith for not stickinig up for Christ and His birthday.

This time of year is interesting though, going to church the place is packed full of C and E Christians and I believe we should utilize this time of year for presenting a strong gospel message and what better a place to start than the birth of our Saviour and Lord. We hear and read the story so many times I think we miss something in Matthew that is phenominal I discovered this for myself a few years back and it has helped me greatly in understanding Christ Love for us. Matthew 1:20-21 "But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[f] BECAUSE he will save his people from their sins.”

Ever notice that before? That was His mission, that was His goal, that was His mark! to Save US from OUR sin. He didn't come to beat up the devil, though He conquered Him. He came for US and to help us be free FROM sin, AWESOME! He will bring joy to the nation was the message of the Angel to the shepherds who attended the flocks and this joy only comes from the freedom of Christ. What wonderful grace God has provided and what wonderful Love he has shown us.

Also consider Jesus the mighty conquerer, the wonderful counselor, precious Saviour, and Awesome Lord a tiny baby. Weak and helpless complete dependant on Mary and Joseph but also dependant on the Father. I know there are many up and arms about this time of year the paganism and inaccuracy of dates as to when Christ was really born. BUT for both camps the antiChristmas and the ProChristmas please don't let traditions and inaccuracy be a distraction from the preciousness of Christ as a child. Don't let His mission be forgotten in your life and the lifes of those around you. He CAME for YOU and ME and that just blows my mind dates and tradition mean very little to me as long as I know this fact to be true. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and Happy Holidays!

God Bless,

Matthew

2010/12/22 2:41Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy