SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Death by Disease? Nuclear sickness?...THE PALE HORSE OF REVELATION.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Death by Disease? Nuclear sickness?...THE PALE HORSE OF REVELATION.

Your ideas or thoughts?

I an now praying and considering the identity of the Pale horse of Revelation 6:8. Consider, that this dynamic alone will kill about 2 BILLION people...about SIX America's!

God prophesied this one. It shall come to pass. "With all of your getting"; Get understanding." the scripture says.

This article suggests that the "Pale" color, [ original greek; chlooros] designates the color of a corpse, and it's greenish, ashen appearance. In agree.

I am leaning towards the Pale horse riding the affect of a massive nuclear attack around the world, and the Radiation sickness that will be in the clouds. water supply, and the air we breathe. 1/4th of all of the earth will succumb to this plague..............BT

Pale Horse...Richard Ritenbaugh.
(From Forerunner Commentary)
Revelation 6:8

Characteristically, the apostle John describes the fourth horse and rider using a paucity of verbiage: The horse is "pale," the rider's name is "Death," and "Hades" follows him. This is the extent of the biblical description, yet even so, these provide us with sufficient clues to deduce a cogent interpretation.

First, the horse's coat is a unique and otherworldly pale. The Greek word is chlooros, which we recognize as the origin of such English words as "chlorine," "chloroform," and "chlorophyll." It technically refers to a greenish-yellow color found in nature in the pale green of just-sprouted grass or new leaves (see Mark 6:39; Revelation 8:7; 9:4; these are chlooros' only other occurrences in the New Testament).

Secular Greek writers, however, did not confine chlooros just to sprouting plants. In The Iliad, Homer describes fearful men's faces with this term, suggesting a pallid, ashen color, and in other instances, it is the pale golden color of honey or the gray bark of an olive tree. Sophocles writes that it is the color of sand, while Thucydides applies it to the skin color of those suffering from plague.

It is this last description that is probably John's intended meaning; the color of the horse reminded him of the pale, greenish-gray color of a corpse or decaying flesh.

The Phillips translation renders chlooros as "sickly green in color"; the New English and the Revised English Bibles, as "sickly pale"; the New Jerusalem Bible, as "deathly pale"; and the New Living Translation, as "pale green like a corpse." The fourth horse sports a coat only producers of horror movies would love!

Upon the back of this gruesome beast sits one whose name is "Death." This is another unique feature of this horseman, as none of the others receives a name. The Greek word is the normal word for "death," thánatos, suggesting on the surface a generic application of the term. However, this would be jumping to a conclusion, for the term is probably meant to be understood more specifically as "pestilence" or "disease."

The evidence for this meaning here derives primarily from the Greek translation of the Old Testament called the Septuagint. In several places, the Septuagint translators rendered the Hebrew word deber, meaning "pestilence" or "disease," as thánatos.

For instance, in Exodus 5:3, Moses and Aaron tell Pharaoh, "Please let us go three days' journey into the desert and sacrifice to the LORD our God, lest He fall upon us with pestilence [Hebrew deber; Greek thánatos] or with the sword."

This combination of translations also occurs in the fifth plague, that of the murrain or cattle disease: God tells Moses to inform Pharaoh, "There will be a very severe pestilence" (Exodus 9:3; see also verse 15). In a later instance, God warns Judah through Jeremiah, "I will send . . . pestilence among them, till they are consumed from the land that I gave to them and their fathers" (Jeremiah 24:10).

The most convincing piece of evidence for thánatos meaning "pestilence" in this passage comes from the mouth of our Savior in the Olivet Prophecy, as He describes the events leading up to His return.

He prophesies to His disciples, "And there will be famines [third seal or horseman], pestilences [fourth seal or horseman], and earthquakes in various places" (Matthew 24:7).

He does not use thánatos but loimós, which literally means "pestilence" or "disease." Once Jesus Himself weighs in, there is no argument. The pale rider brings death by disease.

Richard T. Ritenbaugh
The Four Horsemen (Part Five): The Pale Horse
"BIBLE TOOLS"...internet

Read more: http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/6848/Pale-Horse.htm#ixzz18kxvFol8

2010/12/21 9:47
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Death by Disease? Nuclear sickness?...THE PALE HORSE OF REVELATION.

People who turn to Revelation for prophetic wisdom are usually either trying to scare money out of others or are grasping for answers using occult methods.

Are you certain that Revelation is prophetic for our future and not for the nearer future of the first century Christians, warning them about Rome? Keep in mind that first century Christians believed that Christ would return in their own lifetime. So, would John really prophesize any further into the future then the life span of his contemporary audience?

2010/12/21 17:21Profile

Are we left behind?

"Are you certain that Revelation is prophetic for our future and not for the nearer future of the first century Christians, warning them about Rome?

Keep in mind that first century Christians believed that Christ would return in their own lifetime. So, would John really prophesize any further into the future then the life span of his contemporary audience? "Mr.BillPro

Well....the return of Christ is in that prophecy. It could be MrBillPro that you and I have been left behind, though.

2010/12/22 5:50
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Death by Disease? Nuclear sickness?...THE PALE HORSE OF REVELATION.

I do not doubt for one minute that there will be pestilences unleashed upon this earth as a form of judgement by God.

As I read Revelation the sense I get is that there will be terrible things happening but that God has it all under control; that God is using natural means to destroy people's sense of security in what they perceive as stable be it nature, governments, financial institutions or wealth.

There are people who believe man can bring in the millennium through diplomacy (HELLO!!!). In doing so the Christian will be short shifted, ignored or silenced because he/she will be considered to be the greatest hindrance to this peace-making process.

When one reads the news today it is almost like reading a fulfillment of certain segments of Revelation. What used to be unfathomable seems very possible today, given modern technology. I just read this week of a virus that is coming out of Africa that is so deadly that has medical experts very concern. Yes, the world is deteriorating, not getting better.

(If one is interested in knowing how bad man has messed up the land/farming, just read "Acres,USA". I know they are secular, not Christian. They are among the voices that cry out against GMO seeds among other poisons that enter the food chain.)

I do not know exactly the time table for all these events but to me it is not important. What is important, extremely important, is that I know things will get worse, but that God is in control. This is everything. This knowledge feeds hope and in it there is a joy because we know the end is getting closer. Let's just be ready.

My understanding...

ginnyrose

2010/12/22 11:16Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

ginny, my belief is, there all ready has been a pestilence released, and its called Man.

2010/12/22 16:11Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
ginny, my belief is, there all ready has been a pestilence released, and its called Man.

'Man' as in male or as in humans? or, as in your kid brother who always gets into your things? :-)

ginnyrose

2010/12/22 22:49Profile

Re:

thanatos = ((being) the very likeness of/in/as) death

2010/12/22 23:04

Re: The only answer...

"He does not use thánatos but loimós, which literally means "pestilence" or "disease." Once Jesus Himself weighs in, there is no argument. The pale rider brings death by disease."
[Ritenbaugh.]

Faith overcomes all things, including death by plague.In our lifetime, we will be called to deal with such a trial, encompassing Billions. We will learn about the meaning of "LAYING ON OF HANDS..", and the "GIFT OF HEALING",

.....AND THE CHURCH WILL BE THE only ANSWER FOR A SUFFERING AND CONFUSED WORLD.

2010/12/23 1:30
fromtheold

South Africa

Re: Are we left behind?

Quote:
"Are you certain that Revelation is prophetic for our future and not for the nearer future of the first century Christians, warning them about Rome? Keep in mind that first century Christians believed that Christ would return in their own lifetime. So, would John really prophesize any further into the future then the life span of his contemporary audience? "Mr.BillPro Well....the return of Christ is in that prophecy. It could be MrBillPro that you and I have been left behind, though.

I doubt that. The book of Revelation was written in around 100AD (if i'm correct). That means the early church was already being persecuted.

Every generation believes Christ will return in our life time. It is scriptural to do that.

2010/12/23 3:08Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Are we left behind?

Brothertom wrote:

Quote:
Well....the return of Christ is in that prophecy. It could be MrBillPro that you and I have been left behind, though.

Very true. We would all have been left behind.

Also, if Christ came, and established His Kingdom for 1000 years, wouldn't we be now living in the post 1000 yeat period?

Yea, I agree with BT. Blessings :-P

2010/12/23 3:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy