SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The View from the Top - Jim Cole-Rous

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The View from the Top - Jim Cole-Rous

The View from the Top. (Un-Conditional Love)

by Jim Cole-Rous © 2010

“For whoever will save his life shall lose it; but whoever shall lose his life for My sake and the gospel's, he shall save it. For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?” Mark 8:35-6.

It was a lovely day in 2008 when I rode the famous Cape Town Cable Car to the top of Table Mountain. Looking down from the various outlooks you have breathtaking views of the City and its environs. It was so satisfying and peaceful as I stood looking down on the City of my childhood. During those hours on the mountain several things were happening below, of which I was in ignorance at the time.

A young man was shot to death on one of those city streets, an ambulance raced, with flashing lights and screaming siren, to the Groote Schuur Hospital on the mountain’s lower slopes, carrying a woman, screaming with pain that would require emergency surgery. The News that night told me about those things, but never mentioned the view from the Mountain top.

While I stood up there, I could see Robben Island in the distance; where Nelson Mandela had been incarcerated for 18 long years. The Nelson Mandela who came out of Prison was not the same man who was first put in there. Robben Island became the crucible that transformed him.

Through his intelligence, charm and dignified defiance, Mandela eventually bent even the most brutal prison officials to his will, assumed leadership over his jailed comrades and became the master of his own prison. He emerged from it the mature leader who would fight and win the great political battles that would create a new democratic South Africa. His viewpoint had changed.

Jesus admonished us to have the right view of life. We can become so involved in the trials of our life journey that we lose our objectivity and values. Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, is not denial of what is happening around us, but perspective.

If you get the feeling that your values have changed, take time to read again the Gospels in your Bible...'

[Omitted: invitation to pray, and prayer.]

Today's devotional from TheWay.co.uk

2010/12/18 15:21

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy