SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "The Gospel of John" Upcoming Film

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

"The Gospel of John" Upcoming Film

Just recieved this from one of my elders, in affiliation with a missionary with Wycliffe Bible Translators:

"Just a quick note of information for your interest.

Last week I had the privilege of viewing a pre-release version of "The
Gospel of John," a major motion picture that is word for word from The Good
News Bible.

My personal opinion is that this is the best portrayal of Christ that I
have seen. It is a professional major motion picture along the lines of
The Jesus Film. It contains all of the Gospel of John, not necessarily in
the chronology of the gospel. The narrator is Christopher Plummer. It is
produced by Vision Bible International, a joint project between Canada and
the UK.

Go to the hotlink below to see a schedule of release in theaters across the
U.S. later this fall.

http://demossnewspond.com/john/index.htm

If you want to go to demossnewspond.com, then you can pull up the full site
that focuses just on the Gospel of John newsroom and hotlink that one."

Thought I would share,
Mike
P.S. Here is the main site for the film:
http://www.gospelofjohnthefilm.com/

2003/9/4 15:50Profile
todd

California

Re: "The Gospel of John" Upcoming Film

Thanks for the tip. I just watched the trailer. Looks pretty cool.

2003/9/4 19:52Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re: "The Gospel of John" Upcoming Film

Perhaps you have also heard of "Passion", the film being made by Mel Gibson. Everything I've heard and all the interviews I've read just totally renew me. Mel Gibson is enduring A LOT of persecution from Hollywood, and putting his all into ensuring accuracy and precision. He's already been working on it for a long while.
[url=http://www.passion-movie.com/english/]Official Site[/url]

2003/9/4 23:17Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Years ago a hardworking man took his family from New York State to Australia to take advantage of a work opportunity there. Part of this man's family was a handsome young son who had aspirations of joining the circus as a trapeze artist or an actor. This young fellow, biding his time until a circus job or even one as a stagehand came along, worked at the local shipyards which bordered on the worst section of town. Walking home from work one evening this young man was attacked by five thugs who wanted to rob him. Instead of just giving up his money the young fellow resisted: however, they bested him easily and proceeded to beat him to a pulp. They mashed his face with their boots, and kicked and beat his body brutally with clubs, leaving him for dead. When the police happened to find him lying in the road they assumed he was dead and called for the Morgue Wagon.

On the way to the morgue a policeman heard him gasp for air, and they immediately took him to the emergency unit at the hospital. When he was placed on a gurney a nurse remarked to her horror, that this young man no longer had a face. Each eye socket was smashed, his skull, legs, and arms fractured, his nose literally hanging from his face, all his teeth were gone, and his jaw was almost completely torn from his skull.

Although his life was spared he spent over a year in the hospital. When he finally left, his body may have healed but his face was disgusting to look at. He was no longer the handsome youth that everyone haad admired. When the young man started to look for work again he was turned down by everyone because of the way he looked. One potential employer suggested to him that he join the freak show at the circus as The Man Who Had No Face. He did this for a while. He was still rejected by everyone and no one wanted to be seen in his company. He had thoughts of suicide. This went on for five years.

One day he passed a church and sought some solace there. Entering the church he encountered a priest who had seen him sobbing while kneeling in a pew. The priest took pity on him and took him to the rectory where they talked at length. The priest was impressed with him to such a degree that he said that he would do everything possible for him that could be done to restore his dignity and life, if the young man would promise to be the best Catholic he could be, and trust in God's mercy to free him from his torturous life. The young man went to mass and communion every day, and after thanking God for saving his life, asked God to only give him peace of mind and the grace to be the best man he could ever be in His eyes.

The priest, through his personal contacts was able to secure the services of the best plastic surgeon in Australia. There would be no cost
to the young man, as the doctor was the priest's best friend. The doctor also was so impressed by the young man, whose outlook now on life, even though he had experienced the worst, was filled with good humor and love. The surgery was a miraculous success. All the best dental work was also done for him. The young man became everything he promised God he would be.

He was also blessed with a wonderful, beautiful wife, and many children, and success in an industry which would have been the farthest thing from his mind as a career if not for the goodness of God and the love of the people who cared for him. This he acknowledges publicly.

The young man was and is Mel Gibson.

His life was the inspiration for his production of the movie "The Man Without A Face." He is to be admired by all of us as a God fearing man, and an example to all as a true man of courage.

And to think I admired him before I knew any of this! He is quite a man!

Paul Harvey

2003/9/5 1:12Profile
todd

California

Re:

The other night my mom got that email from Paul Harvey and made me read it. I was so impressed. But my mom insisted we look on the internet for more sources. So we did and this is what we found.

"To be sure, the great Paul Harvey has propagated more than a few urban legends in his time, but this particular bit of codswallop was not his doing. It's a spoof, passably mimicking the style and format of Harvey's radio commentaries. (I'm told Mr. Harvey did do a 2000 story on Mel Gibson in which he recounted a minor incident in the actor's youth that may have inspired the email tale. But the words you just read were not Harvey's.)

As for Mr. Gibson, his actual life story — interesting though it may be to his fans — is not the stuff of which high drama is made. Born in 1956 in Peekskill, New York, he indeed moved to Australia with his family at the age of 12, but the teen-aged Mel, far from having aspirations to join the circus or become an actor, was, by his own admission, a loner and a heavy drinker with no particular direction in life. "I woke up in the bloody hospital with head stitches, a busted nose, my jaw off the hook, peeing blood..."

It was his older sister, Mary, who set his future career in motion by submitting an application in his name — and without his knowledge — to the National Institute of Dramatic Arts in Sydney. Having nothing to lose, he auditioned and was accepted. He proved to be a talented actor and lived theatrically ever after.

His first big break in the movies occurred in 1979 when he landed the starring role in a low-budget Australian flick called "Mad Max," which soon attracted a cult following. There's an anecdote surrounding this early triumph which presumably inspired our apocryphal email story.

About a week before the big audition, he got drunk at a party and wound up in a fistfight with three other men. And lost. "I woke up in the bloody hospital with head stitches, a busted nose, my jaw off the hook, peeing blood," he recalled in a 1995 Playboy interview. He was "still a mess" on the day of the audition, but ironically it was his busted-up face (he claims) that caught director George Miller's attention and won Gibson the part as the film's post-apocalyptic antihero.

Be that as it may, he did not require a year in the hospital to recover, nor was he left permanently disfigured, nor did he join a circus freak show and spend five years wandering and horribly depressed. On the contrary, he healed quickly, shot Mad Max that same year and went on — within the same span of time our email story tells us it took him to hit bottom, find God and undergo plastic surgery — to become one of the world's most sought-after leading men.

He did, in fact, later direct and star in "The Man Without a Face," the 1993 film adaptation of Isabelle Holland's novel of the same name. In it, he played a reclusive teacher whose face had been horribly scarred as a result of an automobile accident. But the script wasn't based on Gibson's own life, not even remotely. As a matter of fact, the novel — as in: a work of fiction — from which the film was adapted was first published in 1972. Mel Gibson was 16 years old at the time."

Source: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200b.htm

I can't attest to the validity of either source. Just thought everyone should know.

2003/9/5 11:57Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Hey Todd,
You caught me napping!
I need to listen to that still small voice in my head, the one that told me to check this out before I posted, but did I listen?

The site you listed http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200b.htm
and also
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoax.asp are two that I [i][b]usually[/b][/i] run things through to check out if they are legitimate. I find both to be very reliable. Thanks for doing the homework.
Mike

2003/9/5 21:14Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

I was just watching a Talk show on the channel CTS (Christian Television Station) which is picked up in Ontario, Canada. This guy had 4 people from the commitee of "The Gospel of John" movie on the show. They showed a few clips of the movie and also said that the first place it is showing is in Toronto at the 'Toronto Film Festival'. The 1500 tickets are already sold out.. wow! too bad I missed that opportunity. I think alot of Christians should make this movie a choice of prayer as people start to watch it. Many could come to faith in Christ through this movie, Praise God!

2003/9/10 22:46Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

I believe they are going to be releasing it on VHS and DVD eventually. On their mailing list so if I hear anything will keep you posted.

Quote:
I think alot of Christians should make this movie a choice of prayer as people start to watch it. Many could come to faith in Christ through this movie, Praise God!

Amen!

2003/9/10 23:01Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Another intresting note is that they are already making the script for the Gospel of Mark and also 1 and 2 samuel is in the works possibly.

2003/9/10 23:01Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re:

If anyone is interested in seeing a preview for the movie, I have a link here from HollywoodJesus.com. This site isn't a favorite of mine, I've lost a lot of respect for it, but it has previews of both The Gospel of John and The Passion.

[url=http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/gospel_of_john.htm]Watch the Preview for "The Gospel of John"[/url]

2003/9/26 21:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy