Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : forsaking all

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Very close, Although he says somethings in the sermons that he did not in the book and vise versa.

I have both listened to the sermons and read the book but like the sermons much more.

I would say he says much more in the sermons because there are 8 of them about 1 hour each.

2010/12/18 16:59Profile
learnermike

Oklahoma

Re:

I found this helpful. It is from william Macdonald's book "True Discipleship". One of his first subjects is forsaking all. I appreciate how he does not "run away" from Jesus instructions.

here is a link to his book online, if you scroll down just a little then you will see the title "Forsaking all"

Oh God help me to practice what I preach

2011/1/1 23:14Profile

Re:

I will have to check out David Path and William MacDonald. What sort of things has God lead you guys to forsake?

2011/1/2 0:05

Re:

Quote:
I haven't read the other replies but I believe "forsaking all" is done in stages.

I believe Lysa is correct.

Even though Peter said that he forsook all to follow Jesus, he hadn't forsaken everything.

When you look at how he was still reasoning with the mind of flesh in several instances, even after Pentecost he was still having trouble forsaking all. I believe this verse helps us understand these stages; But GROW in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. 2 Peter 3:18

2011/1/2 7:42
learnermike

Oklahoma

Re:

I am sorry. I must have forgotten to put the link for William MacDonald's chapter on forsaking all. Here it is.
http://plymouthbrethren.wordpress.com/2007/01/06/true-discipleship-william-macdonald/

2011/1/2 8:10Profile
learnermike

Oklahoma

Re:

Quote:
What sort of things has God lead you guys to forsake?

Well I have not forsaken much so far. I think many of the post are accurate in that Jesus is talking about internal and external things. I think what treasure we have "physically" does reveal somewhat where are heart is. I can also see, in my own life, how my spare time, early in the morning,late at night or during a lunch break is something that I have struggled to forsake and give to God. Forsaking my own pride and agendas I believe are crucial to my salvation.
On the external side, my wife and I have our house on the market, so we can downsize. Our priorities and ideas of success have changed over the past 4 years. We want to live frugally so we can be more available to give toward kingdom needs. We by most of our clothing 2nd hand. We have been trying to turn our affections from the things of this world and to turn them towards Jesus. I know that I am very monetarily rich compared to most the people in other countries and that bothers me, especially when I read the New Testament.
Becoming humble is a goal of mine.(not that I have anything outside of Jesus to boast about) Seeking my own is something that I feel I need to die to. Spending more time in prayer and depending on the Source of Life Himself will require me to forsake my flesh's selfish demands. So I am seeking Him for help.

2011/1/3 21:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy