SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is wrong with Christmas?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Re:

"He that regardeth the day, regardeth [it] unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard [it]. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks." Romans 14:6

I believe this verse is an accurate description of those believers who celebrate Christmas and also of those who don't. One regards the day unto the Lord, one regards not the day unto the Lord!

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]" Colossians 2:16

Most American Christians know nothing but Christmas being a celebration of the birth of Christ, therefore they celebrate it with all their might. There is nothing wrong with celebrating the birth of our Savior as long as its not done in a materialistic greedy ungodly way. It is a great time to gather with family and to share the gospel with them. Personally it is hard for me to witness to my unsaved family, but Christmas is such a blessing for me to read the Christmas story and share the gospel with them. It just makes it a little easier, and I thank God for that.

2010/12/23 9:27Profile

Re:

Doug,

Though not sure, it may be that the Romanized Christmas was actually intended to celebrate Jesus conception?

This would make much more sense as to the 'why' that day, and not merely the mixing of paganism into Roman Catholicism and her offspring.

Thinking now, this would also mean that Miriam concieved right about the time she visited Elizabeth. . .which might explain why John lept in Elizabeth's womb?

Just wondering,

gregg

2010/12/23 10:36
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

Guys, I thought this topic was settled in THIS thread,

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=36265&forum=35&start=50&viewmode=flat&order=1

Happy Kwanza!!!!!

2010/12/23 11:07Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Well happy Hanukah. Celebrating Jewish holidays will teach you a lot about the bible.

Actually, Hanukah is not a Biblical Holiday. It is not like the feasts. It is a bit like Americans celebrating a pivotal battle during the revolutionary war in which God intervened in a miraculous way.

I am reminded of some of the old hymns, Watts I believe but I could be mistaken, in which the tunes to bar songs were well known and easily played. So the hymns were simply the bar songs with new lyric. It is a bit the same. Christmas is to me and always will be about the birth of Christ. I simply rejoice in the season and don't worry about all the rest. It is just a non-issue. I am not even sure it is worth the discussion.

2010/12/23 12:12Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

I like to think of "What is right about Christmas?"

Maybe you have heard this before.

C is for the Christ child born upon this day,
H for herald angels in the night,
R is for our redeemer,
I means Israel,
S is for the star that shone so bright.
T is for three wise men, they who traveled far,
M is for the manger where He lay.
A is for all He stands for.
S means shepherds came.

That's why there's a Christmas day!

Christmas is a season in the year when it is easier to share Christ with others. Many seem to be more open to the Gospel at this time.

2010/12/23 12:51Profile
Lesserlight

Re:

Quote:
Though not sure, it may be that the Romanized Christmas was actually intended to celebrate Jesus conception?

This would make much more sense as to the 'why' that day, and not merely the mixing of paganism into Roman Catholicism and her offspring.

Thinking now, this would also mean that Miriam concieved right about the time she visited Elizabeth. . .which might explain why John lept in Elizabeth's womb?

Just wondering,

Hi Greg

That is an interesting perspective and would fit right in with the nine months time of an expected mature pregnancy....... thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Blessings

Doug

2010/12/23 13:04Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

@Lucash.

I should have explained better. The Bible does not say "Trinity", but the trinity itself is spoken in the Bible. I agree.

Blessings!

2010/12/23 13:29Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

What does "kwanza" mean?

2010/12/23 14:02Profile
Lucash

Kentucky

Re:

@fromtheold
I searched the net and came up with this:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_meaning_of_the_Swahili_word_'Kwanzaa'

Apparently, it is a Swahili word (a language of Africa) that means "first fruits". It comes from two separate words. The first is kwanza which means "first", and the second is kuzaa which means "to give birth". I do not speak Swahili, but I do often trust the results from "wiki answers" web links.

That being said, I was a little surpised to see it come from Swahili origin. My wife and I are called to be missionaries in Africa, and this is the language of the people group we are called to serve! I am excited to learn the language and work for the Lord.

2010/12/23 14:31Profile

Re:

And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

26And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

27And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law,

28Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said,

29Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word:

30For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,

31Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;

32A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

33And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.

34And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against;

35(Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

36And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;

37And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.

38And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.

sounds like they were pretty excited over His birth.
Luke chapter 2

2010/12/23 15:46

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy