SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is wrong with Christmas?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lesserlight

What is wrong with Christmas?

Outside of love for others and that it does get people to think of Jesus everything is wrong with Christmas.

However IMO if you are not going to think the truth about Jesus then think better to think of secular things and save the thoughts of God and Son for worshipping in truth.

Christmas is nowhere near the actual birth date of Jesus but is the time of when the wise men came baring gifts ...... a time period known today as Hanukah.

Try searching "when was Jesus really born" and there is enough there to realize that Jesus was born during the feast of Tabernacles that was very late September or the first 2-3 days in October.

So I just say Happy Holidays and whenever I hear or see an opening to talk about Jesus I do

Doug

2010/12/14 7:35Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: What is wrong with Christmas?

You sound like you need a Christmas tie with Jesus riding on a reindeer into Jerusalem. I share your grief as most on the index will probably agree. It seems to get more and more difficult year after year hearing alternating carols of pure fiction being joined with those praising the glory of Christ. The truth is we don't live compartmentalized lives. Only the world does that. That is why this season comes as such a mixed blessing. Do we really need a season to celebrate Christ whom we already celebrate daily. Isn't that a bit like saving your worship for Sunday at the neglect of the other six days God has made? I do understand Easter but I don't neglect other days because of it. if one wishes to consider a day above another then let them do so but it is most curious to observe when the season is gone so is the atmosphere. Shouldn't that not change?

People can say the season is about giving but from whom do they receive? Shall we place in competition the gift of God with that from lego and poly pocket? The retailers are certainly more concerned with Christ being honored as they make themselves available for an earlier celebration every year. At this rate Christmas will soon start in the summer. Does anyone feel uncomfortable with the fact that we are celebrating an event as one with a majority of people that could care less what happens the day after Christmas? Yes this was not something the early church practiced. Yes this infuses many pagan rituals and symbols. Yes this is in no way comes close to the estimated day of birth. Yes for the most part in America we have large retailers heralding the reason for the season.

All of this is greatly disturbing but I have found even in my extendend family this to be a very delicate topic. Isn't it amazing that tradition is such a difficult force to contend with. It is strangling the church. Should we be surprised that it can hold such a power during this season. We deal with traditions in the church that seem almost unbreakable. Horrific evangelism. Holiness that is resigned to God only. Discernment that is non existent and everyone is a prodigal! It will be interesting to see how the remnant that is being called out will respond to these issues. I don't see compromise in their upcoming vocabulary but for those who do it would seem that it will be accompanied by a mixture of joy and grief. Grief at the great compromise and joy where it can be found when not concentrating on the compromise.

There is another consideration and that is benevolence? What do people learn from placing such an emphasis on a one time a year event. To give to the needy in the season but not out of season. What is being taught to those doing the giving. That they may feel better about themselves for the month? What of the 11 following? What of those who are in need? Does the fountain of love only flow in December?

The living nativity may soon eclipse the needed testimonies of the saints as those in the church find it easier to to play a part rather than be one. We all must walk in love knowing that the world is ignorant to the truth. It is just so sad to see so many join themselves to the Christ part of what is being elevated and taking what serves them with no knowledge of the rest. I know this is in ignorance but how can we sit by and watch those walking toward a cliff and say nothing. They are sold into the belief that they are recipients of a gift that lasts forever and so they rest in it. Should we go with the flow and affirm what the world has led them to believe? We must desire to tell how God has changed our lives. We know the truth of Christ is only being told in part and joined to an assumption that results in death for many. This season presents one of the greatest opportunities to show love but will we be willing to rock the boat during a season with everyone more content then they will be the rest of the year?

2010/12/21 18:02Profile
cryinthenite

Re: What is wrong with Christmas?

I have not done chistmas for 24 years. My kids dont care and dont even realy get what the big deal is.The LORD is a life giving spirit now, not a baby.

2010/12/22 22:20Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Merry Christmas everyone!

2010/12/22 23:11Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Bah Humbug :)

2010/12/22 23:18Profile
Lucash

Kentucky

Re:

Just as a side note, no where in the Bible does it say to celebrate Jesus birth, only his death and resurrection.

2010/12/22 23:32Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

Edited

2010/12/22 23:46Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

@Lucash, it also doesn't speak specifically about celebrating birthdays in general, but we celebrate those, don't we? It doesn't talk about the Trinity, but it is true, correct?

@Sola, who is talking about santa?

Celebrating Christmas is a heart issue. If your heart is wrong, it will be wrong with or without celebrating Christmas. Heart issue folks. To make it anything more then that is the same as to eat meat sacrificed to idols. In other words, its not a big deal.

2010/12/23 0:19Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Well happy Hanukah. Celebrating Jewish holidays will teach you a lot about the bible.

2010/12/23 3:23Profile
Lucash

Kentucky

Re:

@Miccah, what do you mean the Bible doesn't talk about the Trinity? It's written all over the place.
I agree with you on birthdays. I kind of tend to take the stance of "Get me whatever you want." It's not that big of a deal to me, just as long as I spend it with my wife and son I am happy.
Christmas is a heart issue. People who go berzerk (spending money, lines at the mall for santa clause, etc.) on Christmas definitely have a heart issue. It is not in the right place if you emphasize the wrong things (the wrong things being things of the world).

2010/12/23 8:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy