SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Humbling ourselves

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

Humbling ourselves

I was out of town for most of last week and started listening to a message on "humbling ourselves" from 2 Chronicles 7:14.

Here's the question for you to ponder "How do we humble ourselves?" I didn't get to listen all of the sermon yet but it's obvious that it's not somthing that God does but it's something we're required to do.

How do you humble yourself?

2004/11/8 9:21Profile
moreofHim

Re: Humbling ourselves

Without getting into a long post....

this thought came to me right away when I read your post: not thinking about our selves. Taking our 'selves' out of the picture. When our mind is not on "us" it is on God and others.

Just a thought :-)

In Him, Chanin

2004/11/8 9:26Profile
PastorEdP

Clinch Mountain, Virginia

Re:

Quote:
When our mind is not on "us" it is on God and others.

That's exactly what humility is, Chanin. You hit the nail right on the head. I would add only one thing -- true humility comes with spiritual maturity. The more you trust God and are obedient to His will, the more humble you become.

2004/11/8 9:36Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
it's obvious that it's not somthing that God does but it's something we're required to do.

I think it's something we do in [i]response[/i] to something God does, namely reveal Himself to us. Humility is simply knowing God as God and therefore understanding our true position in relation to Him. That takes revelation first, then simply an acknowledgment on our part of what is already true.

Mr. Andrew Murray had some profound thoughts on this subject in his book titled [i]Humility[/i], it is highly recommended.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/11/8 9:54Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Thanks Chanin

Yes, it's as we decrease and He (i.e. Jesus) increases. Here's a few scriptures (below) to ponder on. The thing that strikes about these scriptures is that the commandment is to humble ourselves. It's an active thing on our part as we submit to Christ. The only time where it appears to be different was in 2 Corinthians.

Listings of the word HUMBLE in the King James Version
Exodus 10:3 And Moses and Aaron came in unto Pharaoh, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, How long wilt thou refuse to humble thyself before me? let my people go, that they may serve me.
Deuteronomy 8:2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, [and] to prove thee, to know what [was] in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.
Deuteronomy 8:16 Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end;
Judges 19:24 Behold, [here is] my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing.
2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 34:27 Because thine heart was tender, and thou didst humble thyself before God, when thou heardest his words against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, and humbledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard [thee] also, saith the LORD.
Job 22:29 When [men] are cast down, then thou shalt say, [There is] lifting up; and he shall save the humble person.
Psalms 9:12 When he maketh inquisition for blood, he remembereth them: he forgetteth not the cry of the humble.
Psalms 10:12 Arise, O LORD; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble.
Psalms 10:17 LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:
Psalms 34:2 My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear [thereof], and be glad.
Psalms 69:32 The humble shall see [this, and] be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God.
Proverbs 6:3 Do this now, my son, and deliver thyself, when thou art come into the hand of thy friend; go, humble thyself, and make sure thy friend.
Proverbs 16:19 Better [it is to be] of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.
Proverbs 29:23 A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.
Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name [is] Holy; I dwell in the high and holy [place], with him also [that is] of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
Jeremiah 13:18 Say unto the king and to the queen, Humble yourselves, sit down: for your principalities shall come down, [even] the crown of your glory.
Matthew 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
2 Corinthians 12:21 [And] lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and [that] I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.
James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all [of you] be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

2004/11/8 9:57Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

I just read this verse in my morning devotional time:

[b]Numbers 12:3[/b] - (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)

and a few days earlier I read this:

[b]Exodus 16:8[/b] - And Moses said, This shall be, when the LORD shall give you in the evening flesh to eat, and in the morning bread to the full; for that the LORD heareth your murmurings which ye murmur against him: [b]and what are we?[/b] your murmurings are not against us, but against the LORD.

[b]and what are we?[/b] - This spoke to me and really showed the humbleness and realization of moses and aaron that they are but dust and are being used by God for His glory. Even though Moses was to be as God to the people he still tryed to get their eyes off him and onto God Himself.

2004/11/8 10:12Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Remembering the good things God has done for me, obeying Him, and worshiping Him [i]alone[/i] is a theme I've been reading over and over again in this week's devotions. That's been quite humbling for me recently when I've recognized my heart being drawn to other, futile things. To quiet the rebel sigh within my own heart, I have to remind myself of God's goodness and clear my temple, His temple, of any competing gods.

[b]"... How long will these people reject me? Will they never believe me, even after all the miraculous signs I have done among them?"

"And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength."

"Be careful to obey all the commands I give you; show love to the LORD your God by walking in His ways and clinging to Him. Then the LORD will drive out all the nations in your land, though they are much greater and stronger than you."

"... 'Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,' do not listen to them. The LORD your God is testing you to see if you love Him with all your heart and soul. Serve only the LORD your God and fear Him alone. Obey His commands, listen to His voice, and cling to Him."

"Choose to love the LORD your God and to obey Him and commit yourself to Him, for He is your life."

"... Love the LORD your God, walk in all His ways, obey His commands, be faithful to Him, and serve Him with all your heart and all your soul."

"So honor the LORD and serve Him wholeheartedly. Put away forever the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt. Serve the LORD alone."

"'Don't be afraid,' Samuel reassured them. 'You have certainly done wrong, but make sure now that you worship the LORD with all your heart and that you don't turn your back on Him in any way. Don't go back to worshiping worthless idols that cannot help or rescue you - they really are useless!

... But be sure to fear the LORD and sincerely worship Him. Think of all the wonderful things He has done for you."

"... 'What is more pleasing to the LORD: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to His voice? Obedience is far better than sacrifice. Listening to Him is much better than offering the fat of rams. Rebellion is as bad as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as bad as worshipping idols...'".[/b]

[i](Numbers 4:11; Deuteronomy 6:5, 8:6, 11:22, 13:2-4, 30:20; Joshua 22:5, 24:14; 1 Samuel 12:20-21, 24, 15:22-23)[/i]

2004/11/8 12:41Profile
Spitfire

Quote:
How do you humble yourself?

I humble myself by agreeing with God. Think of this: The other day, my son, Joseph cut a big chunk out of the back of his hair because he had bed head. It isn't the first time he's done it. I saw that he had a big chunk of hair missing, so I said, "Joseph, did you cut your hair?" He said, "No!" The appropriate humble answer would have been "yes". But, since Joseph tried to hide his misdeed from me, he got in much worse trouble. Had he confessed his sin to me and even agreed with me that he had erred, I would have extended grace. Instead, I was forced to resist him in the form of pressure on the behind! Now, as that pertains to humbling myself before God, I agree with God daily that I deserve hell. I confess to him my sins, ie. hard heart, stiff neck, pride, demanding spirit...the list goes on and on. And I ask him to have mercy. I ask him to heal me of the effects of these sins and renew a right spirit in me. It is something I began to do quite a while back and I haven't gotten finished yet. ;-) I've been experiencing a renewed power to walk in victory. I think it's called grace.

2004/11/8 16:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy