SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is 'the word of [our] testimony'?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is 'the word of [our] testimony'?

Neil said something in a post recently, which has sparked these thoughts.

In at least one of his sermons (or Q&A sessions), Paul Washer describes a scenario when a group of workers might have been approached by a group of soldiers to be asked to swear that Caesar is god. If they don't they will be summarily slaughtered. Christians regularly failed this examination.

The other verse I thought of [Luke 21:15 For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.] seems intense in its own way, but appears to imply that like Jesus often spoke to the Pharisees, and they didn't ask Him any more on that occasion, we too will be given wisdom beyond natural understanding, but not be facing imminent death. (However, perhaps we are being prepared for it further down the line.)

My question comes from Revelation 12:11

And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

(I found the 'Testimony of the Blood', with extracts from Sparks, here: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&order=0&topic_id=3270&forum=34&post_id=)

What is actually in 'the WORD of [our] testimony'?

Is it simply that 'Jesus Christ is Lord!' or, does it vary with the situation?

2010/12/11 9:32

Re: What is 'the word of [our] testimony'?

Normally, in the Revelation, it's called the 'testimony of Jesus', as you know and 'that' is defined as "the spirit of prophecy" at the last.

I'll quote just two Commentators for this question:

Albert Barnes: "And by the word of their testimony - The faithful testimony which they bore to the truth. That is, they adhered to the truth in their sufferings, they declared their belief in it, even in the pains of martyrdom; and it was by this that they overcame the great enemy - that is, by this that the belief in the gospel was established and maintained in the world. The reference here is to the effects of persecution and to the efforts of Satan to drive religion from the world by persecution. John says that the result as he saw it in vision was, that the persecuted church bore a faithful testimony to the truth, and that the great enemy was overcome."

Adam Clarke: "And by the word of their testimony - By constantly testifying against the errors and follies of mankind."

2010/12/11 9:51

Re:

I left my computer to do things and this hit me.

Why were all our greats "killed"?

I believe that we've changed the meaning of this term over the centuries to mean, our personal testimony alone - ie - "I was all messed up on drugs but then I met Jesus."

I saw in my mind, those tied to the stake and so forth, and thought - "Why were they killed?" - those from the Apostles on ... as in the Foxes book of Martyrs - if not for standing against the Majority of "the religious system of their times" - and For the Truth of His Word.

He is The Word of GOD - so that is "the testimony of 'Jesus'" the spirit of prophecy. Not fortune telling but Biblical Truth opposed to the religious lies of their day - past, present and future tense.

2010/12/11 10:17
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
Is it simply that 'Jesus Christ is Lord!'

I believe so,
1 Cor 1:6Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: 10Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye ALL SPEAK THE SAME THING, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Quote:
He is The Word of GOD - so that is "the testimony of 'Jesus'" the spirit of prophecy. Not fortune telling but Biblical Truth opposed to the religious lies of their day - past, present and future tense.

Amen, Jesus-is-God, it is not just a testimony of this happened and this happened, but the WORKING of HIM within us which is our testimony.

2010/12/11 10:23Profile

Thanks for the replies. Interesting the emphasis on standing against things, Jesus-is-God. Maybe this varies with situations. It may be that a Christian would be standing for ... gentleness, love, mercy (and so on)... to incur the wrath of the world.

My inclination is towards that declaring the name of Jesus Christ is an essential component. To say (for instance), 'I serve the true and living God', may not be distinctive enough.

Also I feel there may be difference between what a person who dresses in a way that aligns him (or her) with Christianity - such as wearing a dog-collar, robes, Salvation Army uniform - may say, and how the words of the the rest of us (whose dress does not distinguish us from the world) are perceived.

2010/12/12 12:17
Lesserlight

Re:

Hi AtG

And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

As I see it........ The first appearing of Jesus was the Word made flesh and so will the second appearing of Jesus be the Word made flesh that will be those with the testimony of Jesus in them (the spirit of prophecy that allows them to understand the Bible that is all prophecy from the Genesis to Revelations

We all have been given the power to become sons of God (Jn1:12) and the Book of Revelations is the revealing of Jesus Christ who is the Word (testimony) made flesh ........ which is what God said He would do way back in Ge.1:26 when He said that He would make man in His Image and Likness

just my .02

Doug

2010/12/12 20:41Profile

Re:

Do you think it is speaking in the spirit, rather than the flesh? Trusting god.

2010/12/14 8:20
JoanM

The WORD of our testimony, is the CHRIST of our testimony. It is the LOGOS, not rhema, of our testimony, as the Greek says.

Try reading the verse that way.

The power of our testimony lies there. Power that transformed us; power that convicts/transforms others; power that overcomes Satan. Paul would say "resurrection power."

I have a growing collection of the "Logos" of individual testimonies. Yesterday I came across "the word" of A.W. Pink's testimony. Deep into the occult (leadership even), impervious for years to efforts of godly family members: "One such evening in 1908, as Pink hurriedly passed his father and dashed upstairs to his room, the text he received was, ‘There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death’ (Proverbs 14:12). Rather than prepare and deliver an occult lecture, he prepared and gave his testimony of Christ. Sourse: http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/2006/09/aw-pink-and-spartanburg-sc.html

That Logos of our testimony always has a "death of self" in it of the same nature as our Lord's gethsemane experience.

This is our fellowship with Him (Phi 3:10)-"being made conformable unto His death". It is the testimony of Christ in us.

There are many riches to be appropriated in this Revelation 12:11. I hope others can see how the Word/Christ of Mr. Pink's testimony overcame Satan and led to Pink's death of self.

Though I have mentioned this before, having the word of A. W. Pink's testimony, ready at hand, I could not resist a comment. I think of Pink "fulfilling" that Word of God. Glory to God!

2010/12/14 9:31Profile

Doug, I do get what you're saying, but many people who read here, have never heard of it, or, their theology would barely allow them to consider it is what we should expect to happen as we eat His flesh and drink His blood.

andie, I think it goes without saying we should speak in the Spirit, but I am interested to discover whether people feel that using the NAME Jesus Christ is dangerous, in that it may attract persecution. I suppose I'm also wondering whether we will be judged for NOT having used the name of Jesus, in order to deflect attention from ourselves as Christians. Iow, if our testimony doesn't include His name, can it be defined as 'testimony'?

Joan, thank you for the link, which supports your comments. I found a fascinating discussion under the first side menu link prefixed SBC, about the way a Greek word for 'head' has become imbued with the concept of authority, despite this being far from its common usage at the time the apostles were writing. You may be interested.

2010/12/15 12:07
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Joan wrote:

""That Logos of our testimony always has a "death of self" in it of the same nature as our Lord's gethsemane experience.

This is our fellowship with Him (Phi 3:10)-"being made conformable unto His death". It is the testimony of Christ in us.""

Amen;

Galatians 2:16-20 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. (((((I am crucified with Christ:))))) nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Where do we go from this death?

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word (Logos) of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

This is the very Word of our testimony; "God in a person, born again, a new creation race of "son's of God".

Colossians 1:25-29 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is (((((Christ in you, the hope of glory:))))) Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

The fulfillment of the word of our testimony is, "Christ in you the Hope of Glory".

In Christ, my testimony and the Logos in me, His Testimony: Phillip

2010/12/15 14:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy