SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What Truth?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PastorEdP

Clinch Mountain, Virginia

What Truth?

A. W. Tozer said in a sermon that one of the troubles with Christians is that they tend to embrace one "Truth" at the expense of other Truths. Interesting statement, which leads to a question. Is one Truth more important than another Truth? Unlike various sins, which are apparently equal in God's eyes (i.e. sin is sin and all are an abomination), does one Truth hold a greater significance over another? And is one Truth greater than all others? What think ye?

2004/11/7 14:52Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: What Truth?

Quote:

PastorEdP wrote:
does one Truth hold a greater significance over another? And is one Truth greater than all others?

No. Paul preached the whole council of God.

2004/11/7 16:09Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
No. Paul preached the whole council of God.

Great question pastor Ed and I agree with the statement by Zeke above that there is an divine revelation of the [b]true gospel[/b] to the apostle paul so much so that he could tell people that if poeple or even an angel come back proclaiming anything in varience or difference then what I showed you then let them be accursed for they are proclaiming a false gospel. The Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth so therefore we can know the "truth" and know the "whole council of God" he will lead us into it if we are hearing from Him. I am constantly open to God to teach me more and more and bring me deeper into my understanding of what is true and what is false.

2004/11/7 16:45Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

"I am the way the truth and the life" "It is written" Jesus also told us of the spirit of truth. so how do we pick what part of Jesus not too believe or to believe over another?

2004/11/7 22:03Profile
dohzman

Re:

Here's my frustartion with this subject. As an evangelist I often only get 1 shot at a body of believers,unless the Lord does something in His Spirit's movings. It is soooooo difficult to present the gospel in its completeness in less than 1 hr. Most churches frown if you speak or preach much longer than that. You have to allow time for the altar service which can last for hrs. Afterwards the mood at my services is usually one where the peole just seem to linger for great amounts of time. But I often feel as though I preached on one point or another at the expense of other truths that should have been shared .

2004/11/7 22:10Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

The sheep are leading the so called shepherds. it's no wonder that there isn't a move of the holy spirit in the western churchs.
Paul preached until people fell out of their places, then he revived him and went on preaching till day break.
Their is to much of I want a God who fits into my world. it's just to much of a fast world that we live in, God give ME and give ME more.
God has given! seems we don't speak to him unless it's a 9/11 happening or we need more money then the next door guy who I hope isn't Bill Gates. I heard the other day that the cow's on a thousand hills, have been changed to the gold on a thousand hills, by a person preaching the word.
We as soldiers are to follow orders, not question them.
I thank God that the Holy Spirit is a comforter the way things are going we are going to need some comfort.
I say PREACH the word those who leave after an hour where never really there any way. god knows who are his. " My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me"
If you are ever going to get the peoples attention, you have to be speaking the word, the words of the shepherd.

2004/11/8 0:28Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: First things first

Quote:

dohzman wrote:
..As an evangelist I often only get 1 shot at a body of believers,unless the Lord does something in His Spirit's movings.

As an evangelist I would say the thing that you preach on is what Paul preached on in 1 Cor 15:1-8

Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel
I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2[b]By this gospel you are saved,[/b] if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
3For what I received [b]I passed on to you as of first importance[/b]:

that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

4that he was buried,

that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

5and that he appeared to Peter,B and then to the Twelve. 6After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

It may be a bit padantic to be so specific about roles and functions, but as an evangelist that is what you preach, or train them in the Eph 4:11 calling on how to be one. This is the foundation of entry into the kingdom so this 'truth' may be seen as the most important. ;-)

I also think that different truths at different times have more weight on the human heart because of the emphasis placed on it by the Holy Spirit.

2004/11/8 6:01Profile
PastorEdP

Re:

I want to thank everyone who responded to this. I've been thinking about the question all night, have prayed and read Scripture. I tried to keep my thinking as simple as the message of salvation itself. I've am convinced there really is an ultimate Truth on which all other Truths depend.

The ultimate Truth is God. Without God, there is no Truth and without Truth, there is no God.

2004/11/8 9:02Profile
todd

California

Matthew 23:23
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the [b]weightier[/b] provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others."

It seems clear to me that just as there is [i]weightier[/i] (more important) provisions of the law, the same is true of "truth." That there are aspects of truth, Jesus Himself being the greatest (and even more), that are [i]weightier[/i] than others. And that we would do well to focus ourselves accordingly.

The following verse in Matthew 23 (verse 24), seems to imply that it is just this problem, getting caught up and preoccupied in the less weighty (less important) things, that leads to spiritual blindness.

This ties right in with Luke 10:38-42:
"Now as they were travelling along, He entered a certain village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. And she had a sister called Mary, who moreover was listening to the Lord's word, seated at His feet. But [b]Martha was distracted[/b] with all her preparations; and she came up to Him, and said, 'Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.'
But the Lord answered and said to her, 'Martha, Martha, [i]you are worried and bothered about so many things[/i]; but [b]only a few things are necessary, really only one, for Mary has chosen the good part[/b], which shall not be taken away from her.'"

As has been said... What if we spend our whole lives baking God apple pies only to get to Heaven and find out that He doesn't even like them and didn't want them from us?

2004/11/8 11:11Profile
PastorEdP

Re:

Well said, Todd. Every whole is made up of quality components. On earth, a fine stereo is composed of quality components -- a successful rocket is made up of millions of small parts that work in perfect concert.

The ultimate Truth (which is God) is made up of an endless variety of lesser truths (grace, mercy, love, forgiveness, etc.). These truths are awesome but, singly, cannot hope to approach the completeness of ultimate Truth. Combined with all other truths, however, they add up to a complete Being so holy as to be beyond man's understanding and comprehension.

How can we possibly approach such a Truth as God without fear and trembling?

2004/11/8 14:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy