SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Logic and Christianity

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KBC

Logic and Christianity

I keep hearing this term "logic" pop up among some of the brothers I am around, often times in the context of creating a systematic theology- and sometimes in context of establishing Biblical truth that is in line with what they consider to be logic. So, as Ive merely scratched the surface of this, my bit of pondering came up with more questions than answers. Please help me understand some of these things!

Before I ask the questions I want to establish a semi-loose definition of the term logic. Here it is: "the holding of a specific bit of knowledge (science) that finds itself being utilized to create, confirm or justify a belief, conclusion or action".(if you have a better definition, please write it out)

With that being established, here's some of my questions:

a. Are there any Biblical synonyms for the word logic, or is this solely a stand-alone secular definition and word?

b. What is to be the role of logic in a believers life, especially as it pertains to making decisions?

c. How much does logic play a role in the building of fleshly pride?

d. How do logic and faith interact, if they do at all?

e. Where does logic fit into Christianity?

f. What is God’s heart towards logic?

g. As a believer who knows God's Word, how do you decipher between the leading of God's Spirit and the leading of logic(consider what Acts said: "it seemed good to us and the Holy Spirit")?

I know this is probably a loaded topic, but I would appreciate any stabs at it! Thanks, Chris

2010/12/3 21:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Logic and Christianity

I will ask you one question: what is the origin of logic?

2010/12/3 22:04Profile
KBC

Re:

The origin of logic is self-assumed for the believer: the originating source is God Himself (John 1:1-5, Gen 1, Col 3), and man being the recipient of such logic since he was created in the image of God. However, was not logic marred with the fall of man like other facets of the human? I believe that it was, after looking at Romans 1 and 2. But, we know that regeneration infiltrates logic, often progressively, as well....

2010/12/3 22:35Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I believe Ginny's question was to answer questions A,B,D,E,F,G :)

The Lord revealed something to me that isn't necessarily profound but goes along with this topic. When you become a Christian you don't abandon Logic for faith but they both work together and keep each other well balanced.

I have heard many Christian who were once athietist say It takes More faith to believe there is no God than to believe there is a God.

I am a logical thinker and so I enjoy Logic and I find that they coexsist. I found that God sends Logical thinking into my brain and then uses it to strengthen my faith in him

There is a danger with Logical puffing up the fleshly pride, I had a lot of this and God is slowly removing this. BUT logically :) If you are going to have Faith in the God of the Bible and think of HIm in a Logical way you can't help but remain Humble in His Majesty and Mystery.

2010/12/3 22:49Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Ginny makes a valid point. God gave us the ability to think logically. The problem is that logic is intertwined with a partially unrenewed mind. So logic is God's idea and since it is hardwired into we human beings, we often mess it up.

I think I understand the origin of the question, so let me give you a bit of my perspective on it. There are those who try to approach God from a purely academic perspective. They have developed what to them are very logical systems of theology to explain what seems to them to be the way that God works. I have known many in this category, and they are usually quite confident in their ability to logically defend their position. And, many of them walk in quite a bit of pride as a result. They have, almost without exception in my experience, been very freaked out by anything like a manifestation of the Spirit. They usually relate to God solely by scripture. That is if they can figure out the systematic way to approach unto God and keep the laws perfectly, then they are confident that they are in the right place. I have tried to paint this approach in as good a light as I can, but to put it bluntly, they are dry, legalistic, and seem top resemble the Pharisee of the Gospels.

On the other hand there are those who relate only to God in an ethereal realm. The Word is to them a VERY flexible thing that is chopped up and used in whatever way they feel they are led to go with it. They are without mooring scripturally. I have known a few of these people and they can be really flaky and can get into error easily. I do not say that the people that I have know did not know God, were not saved, or did not love Him with their whole heart.

Scripture tells us that God is a Spirit and those who worship Him MUST worship Him in Spirit and in truth. We cannot know God and walk with Him academically. It is a spirit to Spirit relationship. And God has given His written word as Spirit and Life unto us. The written word is revealed, and rightly divided only under the unction of the Holy Spirit. Our own human logic does come into play. Any time I sit down to study the Word of God I am using my mind, and logic. However my own mind and my own logic are still effected by the fall and are not to be trusted entirely. I must yield or submit my own logic and mental faculties to the Lord just as I submit any other part of me. I must allow Him to work through my mind just as I would allow Him to work through any other part of myself. He gave me a mind and a capacity for logic for a reason. I am to glorify Him with my mind.

As to how to decipher between my own logic and the leading of the Holy Spirit...I am still in the process of learning to hear His voice better as I am sure anyone on this forum is as well. Paul thought it logical to go several places and since ministry is a good thing and of God, tried to head to those places. God stopped him and told him no. Then in a dream a man from Macedonia stood and beckoned Paul. If what seems logical to my own mind is in keeping with God's plans and purposes that I already know, I might begin to head that direction all the while carefully listening for God to say no to me. But in all things I keep an open line of communion open with Him and strive to listen and obey whatever He says.

2010/12/3 23:32Profile

Re:

Quote:
So logic is God's idea and since it is hardwired into we human beings, we often mess it up.

It's only natural to mess up, because this mind that we have is not subject unto the law of God neither indeed can be. Therefore, we need a new mind, a whole new transformation of a mind. This mind that we have has been wrecked, it's full of itself, it's selfish, it's a mind that tries to please God and the mind of Christ is a mind that pleases God without trying.

We can't trust this mind to understand the word of God. That is why we need to test the spirits to see if they are of God. Everything we hear or read needs to go through a vigorous screening because we simply cannot trust this mind to come to any spiritual truths, ...never.

2010/12/3 23:43
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Very well said Travis.

2010/12/4 0:13Profile
humblescene

New York City

Re:

Like most or all things, the things that were good, ended up being corrupted.

For example. Sex, eating, sleeping, responsibility, logical thinking, etc.

We see though that there is a way, a law that can make these things good again. Only one way sex can be good. "The marriage bed is udefiled" Eating in moderation to live. Not being a sluggard and sleeping all day. Logical thinking. Putting on the mind of Christ. We are called to love God with our whole heart, MIND (LOGIC) and soul.

Just a short thought I had. Good forum discussion. Thanks

2010/12/4 2:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I had an discussion one day with an atheist via email. She did not believe in God and the name of Jesus evoked wrath and outrage.

In working to help her see how God is at the core of all knowledge and creation I would keep asking her questions with each one edging closer to the LORD Jesus. The answers she gave when she refused to acknowledge God was that this is one the philosophers are still debating but that sometime in the future they will come up with an answer!

As we got next to the LORD Jesus she got furious! But what else can one expect from someone who was brought up in church, heard the gospel message since a child but then totally rejected him?

Yes, God/Jesus is the source of all life and whatever it takes to sustain it be it physical, spiritual, mental. And the enemy has come on the scene and has worked to wreck it, just like other posters have said.

ginnyrose

2010/12/4 9:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy