SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Video quick sermon jam. Very sweet way of putting Sovereign Grace.I think there is a reformed revial

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
humblescene

New York City

Video quick sermon jam. Very sweet way of putting Sovereign Grace.I think there is a reformed revial

My purpose of this post is to testify but also ask a question at the end. I already posted my thoughts on reformed theology earlier in the doctrines forum. "The L in Tulip, limited atonement" I am also posting a short video at the bottom

I just want to say this. I'm not a calvinist pusher. I like to testify and discuss.

For years I called calvinism a doctrine from hell. Yikes. I've come a long way. I now believe in the truths found in " TULIP"

I am a pentescostal aswell. I believe in the true sincere gifts of the Holy Spirit. Not the crazy movements out there. I attend Time Square Church in nyc.

My question. I have this sense of revival among the church. I like to call it a doctrine revival. I was always taught calvinism was wrong, but I believe God has showed me wonderful rest in Him, through reformed theology. I'm still very charismatic, pentestocal. Has any one else had this happen to them? Almost like a awakening in your christain walk with truth found in reformed theology. And if so any other pentescostal reformed people out there? lol.

Please understand my heart. I love Christ, Him alone. Not a doctrine, but I'm just so excited with these truths of giving God glory in my salvation. I just feel so victorius and at rest. watch this short video it's very sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29dYGlLI_I8

2010/12/3 1:20Profile
EverestoSama

Re: Video quick sermon jam. Very sweet way of putting Sovereign Grace.I think there i

Quote:
Has any one else had this happen to them?

Yes, except for I went the other way. However, the site operator and moderator has asked us to refrain from posting topics on this subject. I would humbly advise no further pursuit of it, as it's only going to result in other Calvanists high fiving you, and Arminians opposing you. Then the thread will be locked.

2010/12/3 5:09Profile
humblescene

New York City

Re:

oh ok. thanks for the advice. I'm not looking for high fives. nor opposing views. i'm simply sharing a victory i have found. i'm just rejoicing and trying to find like minded fellowship.

i fought this topic for years. God moved and revealed it to me in such a sweet way. i'm blown away in the victory and joy found in it.

we have to admit why are so many of the men of old along this thought? all the great heroes of the faith for the most part. believed. even paul. romans 9 is beautiful.

any way thanks for the advice. sad that many don't have the maturity to handle such topics without contentions. i don't see it as a push under the rug topic. i think it's very vital. very liberating.

so is it ok to testify as a arminist on here. and if so its ok to testify i guess and rejoice in mans efforts. i'm simply giving God glory. He's worthy

2010/12/3 12:02Profile
DJSavage

BC, Canada

Re: Video quick sermon jam. Very sweet way of putting Sovereign Grace.I think there i

Hello humblescene,

I got saved in a non-denominational church (which is flavours of charismatic) and also thought that calvinism was totally wrong (and actually didn't even hear the term Arminian until after almost four years of salvation). Such labels are never discussed from the pulpit nor in studies and teaching.

That being said, over the last year, through study and reading, I've come to embrace a lot of the calvinistic doctrines, and have seen God get more and more glory through it and my own walk and relationship with Christ strengthened.

I'm still part of the church. I know probably the majority of people wouldn't agree with me (those who actually know what calvinism is have said they're outright opposed to it), but that doesn't matter. We all love Christ and want to see people saved and His Name glorified.

I believe it's a great testimony to God's grace that even though within our church we see things differently we can still function together and be friends and worship Christ. To see the church function together despite small doctrinal differences will bring glory to God. I don't go up to the pulpit (which I'm called upon to do from time to time) and outright preach calvinism. To reference John Newton, it's just the sugar that I put in the tea of the teachings and mentoring I do. I don't just give people sugar.

So, to answer your question, I could see myself as a "pentacostal reformed", though I try to avoid labelling myself as much as possible.

Blessings to you brother, and keep on glorifying Christ.

2010/12/3 12:46Profile

Hey Humblescene,

I have had a similar experience. I Have always attended Pentecostal churches since my conversion, and I too (used to) go to Times Square Church (too far to travel now). I have many friends at TSC and my brother in law is one of the worship leaders. I also went to Mt. Zion School of Ministry. It was actually at Mt. Zion that I was first exposed to The Gospel (Grace). I would sit in the library and read all the Spurgeon books. So I said all that to say, my background is totally pentecostal, and I too believe in the gifts, but I have come to completely believe that Salvation is completely of the Lord. Jesus has done it all, and my only work is to rest in His love. IT IS FINISHED.

You know its funny, Pastor David started preaching the New Covenant years ago, and if you really want to categorize his book (New Covenant Unveiled) and his preaching in recent years (the last 15 or so), it would have to be classified as reformed theology. He even said he got is theology from John Owen, a Calvinist Puritan.

In fact, the message Pastor Carter preached last week, Are You Tired of Being God, was straight from the Westminster Confession of Faith. He did it in his own way, but he was preaching and talking about the Doctrine of the Covenant of Redemption. I mean, Times Square Church unabashedly preaches Covenant Theology, which, historically has always been associated with Reformed Theology.

I'm with you though. I have no desire to push a set of doctrines especially because people do not respond well. But, I also believe that Reformed Theology is closest to the real Gospel.

2010/12/3 14:04
humblescene

New York City

Re:

Quote:
I also went to Mt. Zion School of Ministry.

Small world friend. I also went to Mount Zion School of Ministry. I use to work there aswell. I posted a forum discussion yesterday. "The L in tulip. Limited atonement"
I'm copying and pasting it below. It's my testimony of how the Lord showed me rest in reformed covenant theology. I really believe the Lord is reavealing more and more this hour. I can best describe it as a revival in my life. I walked in victory as a "arminist" but limited God so much. I'm so blessed and excited. Lets at some point discuss on private message if you want. So we can reaveal who we are. I'm sure we know each other. lol. If your not comfortable with that. It's cool. I recently have been put on to Owen. I enjoy him very much. I heard so much reformed theology in Pastor Carters message last week aswell. Thanks for your response. It was blessing. With out a doubt from the Lord.

The reformed topic is not new to me. The new thing to me is I'm at rest with it. I've stopped wrestling it. It had to begin with me coming to peace with the mysteries of God. A good place to start is Deut 29:29. There are mysteries. They belong to God. What has been revealed belong to us. The fact that he always was, Can drive one mad, but we rest in that simple yet confounding deep mystery.

As glorius as the gospel message is. As his grace is so reavealed in it, yet it still remains a confounding mystery that belongs to him. Grace belongs to Him. What he has reavealed to us is that he is love, he is father, he is husband, he is good, he is fair, and in that alone I know He has reavealed he is not a cruel game player. He has reavealed that he is sovereign, and in that he is victorius. "Most agree He is sovereign over creation, the universe, our lives, yet we have stripped Him from sovereign ways of His saving grace. We've stripped Him from His glory in salvation" (that was a paraphrased quote that I heard from R.C Sproul). Remember we never deserved grace to begin with.

There is no failure in His grace. There is no maybe. There is no limit. There is no perhaps. There is victorius grace. I have limited Him too long. In my failed wrestlings of reasoning, His unfailing grace has pinned me down. It feels good. Salvation and grace belong to him.

So I remember the day it all clicked. I realized I have limited him, with my unlimited views ( I read a gracious testimony of a man who limited God in his unlimited views.) I found a beauty in the tulip. The L in tulip is the big wall for all. limited atonenment.

Yet unlimited atonement has limitations aswell. Limited atonement I found absolute victory, accomplisment, yes and amen and most of all God's glory. Unlimited I see maybe's, perhaps, unless, hopefully, us etc.

I am just testifying. I am just thankful here. I still am limited I still am ankle to calve deep in the ocean of God.

In all this polished up thought of mine, I did ask God now what? How do I serve You? He said " just don't limit me, even though you see me in the tulip, don't forget I am also a lily and I am a rose aswell" When I heard this clearly I shouted and began to praise Jesus.

Amen, when I see salvation and human responisibility/free will, I see them seperate. A picture of this is found when He creates Adam and Eve, they had no choice to be created, they simply were created for God's good pleasure. After He created, then He put in their hands human responsibility.

He placed a law. A dear brother and friend of mine put it well one evening to me, he said something like this. "Funny thing is we all tend to think of the law immediately when we here the garden of eden story. We see that tree of knowledge of good and evil. We focus on that aspect a lot. Yet as we read that story, we see all the creation in the garden. We see the perfect fellowship of God and man. God and man walked together. Though there was a law, remember it was one law. The grace of God was much more in that place. Many good trees to eat from. Fellowship with Him all day. Eternal life, peace, no sin etc." Doesnt get more gracious than that. I love what my friend said there. It's so true God's grace is so much more at hand. His grace is what should inspire us and provoke us to Him.

Amazing grace was always around.

I see salvation again seperate from free will in the conversation with Jesus and Nicodimus. The born again introduction. Christ describes salvation to be being born again. When we are born in this world we have no choice in it. A baby does not say wait I don't want to be born. We are born the same way adam and eve were just simply created. The same way God gets all glory for creation He gets all glory for new creation. We also see this with the woman caught in adultery. She was about be stoned and Christ forgives her and then says, "go and sin no more".

Mysteries glorius mysteries. I think God wants us to rest in many of them. Revelation speaks of the 7 thunders that uttered mysteries. John was about to write them and he was commanded not to. The scripture then says there will be a day when mystery comes to an end. Then John was commanded to eat a little book. The same for us in the mist of mystery we are to devour the word of God. We are to proverbs 7:1-4. Hold the commandments of God and wisdom and understanding as the apple of our eye. Amen again "though you see me in the tulip, don't forget I am a rose and a lily aswell" amen I'm so excited and at rest with the work of God. He's good

2010/12/3 15:27Profile
Axe1338

Miami, Fl

Re:

Blessings Humblescene,

There are several prominent evangelicals who are claiming to be Reformed Charismatics (Sam Storms, C.J. Mahaney, John Piper, Mark Driscoll, etc.), I believe this fits best with the view you are stating you have.

I am Confessional Reformed, but also continuationist (I believe the gifts are still in function today). I would like to point out though that to be Calvinist or Reformed is to embrace the whole Reformed faith and all of its disctintives. My point is that, you are Reformed in soteriology alone (for now at least), which is a great place to start.

The Doctrines of Grace, if correctly understood, are very humbling and liberating; which seems to be the case with you. God bless your journey down the Reformed road.

2010/12/3 15:29Profile
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

Hey Humblescene-

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt here. However, it is my humble opinion that you may be actually looking for some "high fiving" from the Calvinists and some defensiveness from the Arminians.

The reason I say that is that you were told,
"the site operator and moderator has asked us to refrain from posting topics on this subject. I would humbly advise no further pursuit of it, as it's only going to result in other Calvanists high fiving you, and Arminians opposing you. Then the thread will be locked."

Then you responded,
"we have to admit why are so many of the men of old along this thought? all the great heroes of the faith for the most part. believed. even paul. romans 9 is beautiful"

Well that certainly IS going to do nothing but get high fives from the Calvinists and defensive responses from Arminians who are well versed enough scripturally to rip it to shreads. There are more than enough threads with Arminians/Calvinists having it out. Certainly no new territory here or need to do it again! IMO.

Then you stated,
"so is it ok to testify as a arminist on here. and if so its ok to testify i guess and rejoice in mans efforts. i'm simply giving God glory".

Well again..in the words of William Wallace it appears, "You have come to pick a fight" or actually ,"I'm going to pick a fight". There was no basis for that statement except to throw a fireball that I can see. No one had said ANYTHING about any other theological points.

I again want to give the benefit of the doubt...but you made these derogatory statements against those who would happen to have different theological tilt and not adhere to all things Calvin. Why would a person otherwise make the statements you did?

You will not win a debate... it has been done to death and all sides have more than ample scripture to support their view. That is why there is such disagreement. In all actuality there is a large amount of scripture to support all of the points involved.

Just let it alone. The moderators have asked for that to be done. You then posted a long post taking the issue further along once you got a few friendly responses. The clear tone is that you "were in bondage" but Calvinism "set you free". The problem is there are a great many folks on here with the EXACT OPPOSITE testimony of being "in bondage" to Calvinism and Arminianism was the tool God used to set them free from the bondage. It is not so cut and dried and each view has adherents that are loving servants of Jesus Christ.

Again, maybe this was all done in error on your part... but it is hard for me to believe given you began posting almost immediately in this fashion.

If I am mistaken about that then please accept my apology for misreading your intent. If however you felt compelled to go ahead and make your case and points after being informed of the moderators feelings on this then that is rebellion and you would need to ask their forgiveness and correct it.

If you just want to "get into the debate" then read one of the myriad of other threads on this topic that eventually degenerated into name calling. There are more than plenty... and in the words of Jimminy Cricket, "After all, enough is enough".

Blessings

2010/12/3 16:02Profile
humblescene

New York City

Re:

Hi Solomon,

I certainly don't want to upset anyone. I truly am just testifying. I strong heartely know your wrong, regarding why I posted this thread. In no way am I looking for high 5's nor a debate from well studied arminist or calvinist. I'm just looking to provoke edifying conversation and worship with my whole heart, mind and soul. This topic is very new to me. I am looking for advice from fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord. I do appreciate your apology at the end. I'm not trying to win any thing but Christ is the prize, amen. I'm sure you agree with that.
I will be honest I dont see that the topic is against any rules on here. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that it has been frowned on here in the past. My dear fellow servant of the Lord. I'm sorry for my last statement before. Asking if this site is just open to arminist views. Though it seemed sarcastic, It was a serious question I had. I do want to say in no way do I think less of you for disagreeing. In fact my friend, I humbly say this. If this topic offends you,then you don't have to read it or respond. I say that with sincere love. I don't like seeing you so upset. It's not worth it.
I will ask a moderator if this a wrong testimony to put up here. I simply am testfying.
Any way friend. Lets agree together that God is good and thank Him that we are saved. I pray he bless you, keep you and become greater in your life. I'm so blessed He saved you.
With much love His servant

2010/12/3 18:55Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I certainly don't want to upset anyone. I truly am just testifying. I strong heartely know your wrong, regarding why I posted this thread. In no way am I looking for high 5's nor a debate from well studied arminist or calvinist. I'm just looking to provoke edifying conversation and worship with my whole heart, mind and soul. This topic is very new to me.

Brother,

I 100% do not want to take away from your testifying or your freedom to do so. But the topic of 5 point calvinist, depravity etc has been a hot debated topic for many years. We have decided because of this and the lack of fruit that it is not profitable to allow these discussions on the SI forums. We also want to try and not have people post links to other sermon messages outside the sermonindex.net sermons for the problems of promoting ministries that we do not agree with etc. I am not accusing you in this case of the second point mentioned here.

There is a difference between our specific view of a doctrine and our testimony of being save and believing in Jesus Christ. So we ask you in the future brother not to stir up this topic on these forums. If you cannot have self-control in this area there are "many" forums 100% dedicated to this subject for you to find like-minded discussion.

But I believe God has you hear to grow in Christ and your spiritual walk with Him on sermonindex and by interacting in these forums.

Here is a very good message I have been listening to tonight that really I believe helps us to grow in our walk with God practically which we all agree is a needful thing.

Three Dangerous Leavens by Zac Poonen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKmJC86tmc

I am locking this thread because of the aforementioned reasons.

2010/12/3 19:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy