SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Tithing - Part V - Ananias and Sapphira

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Tithing - Part V - Ananias and Sapphira

Tithing is a purely OT statute to support the abolished Aaronic priesthood. God never commanded the Church after Calvary to tithe in terms of grace and faith. He commanded the church to give sacrificially.

Two believers, husband and wife, sold a parcel of land and gave a portion of the proceeds to the church. But they lied about how much of the proceeds they were giving. When confronted with their lies, on separate occasions, each of them fell to the ground dead.

People have used the story of Ananias and Sapphira to point out many things, but we are going to talk about what Peter said to this couple and what he DID NOT SAY.

Before we start let's take a moment and imagine what would be said to a husband and wife in most churches today if they sold some property and wanted to give some of the proceeds to their church. I have heard personally and would suggest that based on today's tithing laws in the church that most pastors would say something like this.

"Peter and Sue, the first thing that the Lord wants you to do with the money that you have received from the sale of your property is to pay your tithe. As you know God requires that you pay 10 percent of ALL your income as your tithe. Then after you have paid your tithe, you may want to give an OFFERING above that amount. Anything above 10 percent is a "freewill offering" to the Lord."

You can buy books in Bible stores that teach this as part of the concept of Tithing.

Let's see what Peter said to them about the money they received from the sale of their property. For the purposes of this illustration, we are not concerned about the fact that Ananias and Sapphira lied, but WHAT PETER SAID TO THEM.

Act 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
Act 5:2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
Act 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
Act 5:4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

What I am about to say is very, very important, relative to what is spoken to people today by so-called Pastors.

***** First, it is important to note that Peter did not mention tithing at all. In fact, he said that after the land was sold the money was still in their control, just as it was before they sold it. *****

That is quite different than telling them that they were required by the Lord to pay 10 percent but the 90 percent that remained was in their control. Now that their asset had been converted to cash, they were required to pay 10%.

If Peter had the concept of tithing, which most pastors have today (which is nothing similar to the Old Testament concept of Tithes and Offerings), Peter would have said something like this:

"Ananias, why have you lied about how much of the proceeds you are giving? After all, God only requires you to give ten percent. Anything above ten percent is a "freewill offering" to the Lord."

But again, any reference to tithing is obviously missing. Again, the NT is silent about tithing. This would have been a perfect spot to teach that Christians are under obligation to pay the tithe. But it isn't here. In fact, it isn't anywhere! Yes, this would have been a perfect spot to use this as an example for the whole church to teach tithing. It wasn't taught at the Council in Jerusalem and it wasn't taught here.

Don't you think that if the Law of Tithing under the Dispensation of Grace (now that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one), would be mentioned at least one time, one little time in the New Testament??? The fact is, that TITHING IS NEVER TAUGHT IN THE NEW TESTAMENT.

We are not under a Payment System. The Dispensation of Grace has shed the love of God abroad in our hearts and we give because He has given so much to us. We are led by the Holy Spirit, not by doctrines of men or fleshly laws.

Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

2010/12/1 19:59
jimp

Re: Tithing - Part V - Ananias and Sapphira

hi, very well said pilgrim and true...i am a cheerful giver and even more cheerful receiver...what irks me about the teaching of tithing is that churches ask and demand a tithe but charge for special bible instruction for those who desire to enter the ministry.the tithe was a tax on the tribes of israel to support the levites so that they can use their time for the Lord in ministry...and training for the ministry.jimp

2010/12/1 21:06Profile

Re:

Yeah, Jimp, it is really a sad situation today and my heart goes out to the members of the church at large. As grieved as I am over the sheep being taken advantage of by self-serving teaching, think how grieved the Lord is. I have always been very keen to spiritual abuse, and want to see God's children flourish in their relationship with Him, free from men's doctrines and control.

Funny, how money today is the focal point of so much in the church.

Wonder what would happen if I brought a chicken and 2 apples and placed them in the offering basket. For some people this is all they have. But today, it has to be hard, cold cash. The law is a terrible taskmaster and never brings us one whit closer to God.

What a testament to the world it would be if the church never talked about money (just like the early church) but just took care of each other. Think of that! Just took care of each other.

Money is the main thing on the world's mind. Money!

And it is so tragic that the church looks no different. Everytime you turn around they want money from the sheep for this or that. It really does not make you feel too special. The term "nickels, noses and numbers" certainly is appropriate in the American church.

What does all this clamoring for money have to do with Jesus Christ and grace for giving.

Ezekiel 34 shows the heart of God in an incredible way. I won't post it, but it really is good to read.

Blessings to you

2010/12/1 21:58

Re:

Quote:
that churches ask and demand a tithe

We have to realize that when we go to any Church that is headed up by any organization or assemblies, we have got to get it into our thinking that this is not the Church of Jesus Christ, this is a man system and they require a tithe. Now, most of the body attend these man systems, and if they do, it is required that they pay a tithe. Consider it a membership fee. For those of us that don't pay the tithe, it is best for us to get out of that system. We have to get away from it as the Protestants protested against the Catholic Church. Not just because of the tithe, but for many other teachings as well. Since leaving that system six years ago, I've had to have my heart rebooted, formatted, and reprogrammed by the Spirit of God and anti virus program had to be installed, and every once in a while I have to do a system clean out and do a defrag.

2010/12/1 22:54

Re:

Exactly right!

I am hoping that by showing Believers that this man-made system is based on man's wisdom and not the Word of God, that they will be able to make some decisions God-ward.

But yes, you are right. I tell people that if you are going to join a church (in the religious system), it is like you are joining a club. They all have different rules. If you voluntarily and by your own volition join a church, then you should abide by their laws/rules and don't complain about it. You are just bringing division and strife.

To join a church that employs things like the clergy an tithes with the premeditation that you are going to be a "crusader" and take out your sword and slay the wrong people is just plain satanic.

If you stay, be at peace (if you can do that and read the Bible at the same time) and if you can't stay, then leave quietly and don't cause strife and division.

2010/12/1 23:19
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I have been a member of a church for 50 years and never once was a tithe required. While it may be appreciated it is not taught.

The point? Not all churches require a tithe from its members.

ginnyrose

2010/12/1 23:27Profile

Re:

Yes, there are some that don't.

But, have they ever taught that it plays no role in New Covenant Theology? Like circumcision. Or, do they just let people think what they want?

Just curious if there has ever been any teaching that you remember against tithing as a NT requirement.

Sincerely, not trying to start something.

2010/12/1 23:32

Re:

If the offering plate is passed around, that is the teaching.

Before a collection is received, the minister always says, "Will the ushers come for to receive the tithes and the offerings."

Every week, the club fees are collected and thank God for that, I am not knocking that. The bills have to be paid, and the workings of a Church is not cheap. Just because it's a man's system doesn't mean it's all bad. There are good and fine men and women that preach behind the pulpit are God sent, but it still apart of the system of man and being apart of that, there is a fee that is collected to continually be apart of that. Again, I am not knocking that.

2010/12/1 23:38

Re:

There are some precious people in the tithe based church. I meet with some of them in their own Bible study, once a week. That is why I never mention names. I may not agree with their view on tithing, but otherwise they are Godly people. But that does not mean that the Lord does not want the truth taught.

Just like people will teach against any law (sabbath keeping for instance), tithing is just another law that takes away from the grace of Jesus Christ. Tithing, I have noticed is a little more "sacred" than some other laws and people are willing to turn their head, because, afterall, like you say, "it pays the bills".

I know that many inherited this teaching from their ancestors and their seminary/bible school and really believe in it. Which tells me they have never given really serious study to it. Paradoxically, the Pastor that believes and teaches freedom in Christ and yet misses this, is a conundrum to me.

2010/12/1 23:45

Re:

Quote:
the Pastor that believes and teaches freedom in Christ and yet misses this, is a conundrum to me.

When my Dad was a young pentecostal believer back in the early sixties, he saw some things in the bible that the Church he was attending weren't doing. He went to the Pastor and told him his findings and he said to my dad, "buddy, If I preached that, I'd lose my congregation".

Fear is a monster that grips these guys. The tithe is their bread and butter. They have to keep people in their fear so that they don't lose out themselves.

2010/12/1 23:58

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy