SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is this true? Merry Xmas.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Is this true? Merry Xmas.

I am not saying I say Merry Xmas because I don't, but some folks do, is this true below? or is it just the new "politically" correct answer?

The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are reference...s in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as AD 1021. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ"), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ. The labarum, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as ☧, is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches.

2010/11/30 12:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Is this true? Merry Xmas.

No, this is nothing new...I was told this many years ago before the term politically correct was ever thought of. But some find this info offensive....

2010/12/1 0:33Profile
mguldner

Kansas

This is what I was told by a bible scholar reference Xmas pretty much the same thing

That the X was an abbrevation of the Greek that meant Christ, I believe however it is the intention of the heart, if my purpose for using Xmas is to remove Christ then that is no Good however ultimately I fail in my plot since X can represent Christ.

We are free to have thoughts and convictions about this but historically there is nothing wrong with using Xmas however if you still find the Holy Spirit hasn't released you on using it then I probably wouldn't use it.

2010/12/1 1:13Profile

Re:

The 'x' in Greek is another way of writing 'ch'.
In the word Xmas, it's represents Christ, as the RCC invented the holiday incorporating it as a 'xian' alternate(?) in conjunction with Saturnalia and relative to the time god Chronos with the procession of winter sol-stice (aka: the re-birth of the sun).

The RCC took many pagan holiday and intigrated their version of xianity with them. Even today, they continue to take their form of xianity and pagan cultures. For example, Santeria resulted from various icons and saint worship integrated with a hispanic form of occult magick.

(There are many more recent examples, mostly in relation to Mary 'the mother of God'.)

It's the method they are employing to bring back one (Babylonian) world religion, everybody celebrating and funtioning as one world.

Babylon had a base 6 number system, and interestingly the back of the popes high holy robe on display in the Vatican has 3 identical symbols embroidered in gold. They all look like the number 6.

What in the world is going on?

Brother Tom where are you?

2010/12/1 5:55
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Once upon a time I was a diligent Greek student, and researched this myself. Yes, the "X" in "X-mas" is a way of abbreviating "Christ" in "Christmas." It's simply shorthand.

2010/12/1 8:46Profile

I don't say it, but I write it, because Christ Jesus and christmas have nothing in common. It is void of Him, and He is void of that holiday.

Have you ever heard of Santa worshipping Jesus, or the Wall Street merchants that are running the show kneeling before His throne alone? Really, it is Merry Xmas, not Holy Christ Jesus isn't it?

Oh, I forgot...there is the singing christmas tree down at First Baptist....LA-LA-LA-...

NOT FOR ME.

2010/12/1 10:25

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy