SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does our message board conduct bring glory to our Heavenly Father?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

Does our message board conduct bring glory to our Heavenly Father?

I have been on and off the SI message board since the beginning. I since returned because I wanted to grow in my relationship with our heavenly Father and mutually build other saints up with the Word and Prayer.

While there have been some healthy discussion, it seems more leaning to a place to start an argument, create division among brothers and a place to post 'your own' opinion about theology and much more 'gray' topics to stir unhealthy discussion.

Lately the posts are frustrating me more than building me up. Maybe this is just where I am at. Am I alone?

Has the "spirit" of Facebook or other social networking sites spilled over to this sacred place to fellowship with other saints or is it a place to hide behind our keyboard?

we are to love one another.

I know this topic has been talked about before on the forum as well, (if forums are good,etc.). but I need to address it because I feel like maybe this is not glorifying to our Heavenly Father.

Doug

2010/11/29 13:39Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Does our message board conduct bring glory to our Heavenly Father?

"If you have any encouragement
from being united with Christ,
if any comfort from HIS love,
if any tenderness and compassion,
then make my joy complete by
being like-minded, having the
same love, being one in spirit
and in purpose"

PHILIPPIANS 2 VS1-2

2010/11/29 13:49Profile
knitefall

Re:

yeah, I've been contemplating the same. Much good can come out of a forum like this but I only see unloving spirits invading.

We ARE the Righteousness of God. Made so by Faith in the freely given Sacrifice of Jesus.

So where love grows cold, those who participate in that lack of temperature have been viewing the Father as a mean and angry judge.

You show me someone backbiting and I'll show you that person has a misconception somewhere in their Walk of how to properly live for God.

If law and condemnation is preached, it places the readers against the HOLY Spirit. However, if Jesus is preached as lovely and beautiful then the sheep will lie down in green grass and have plenty of meat to eat.

It is my discernment that if the posts do not add up to the ladder, I'm out. As I will not be edified, so I refuse to be a part of the continuing problem.

In the best Love I know how, Shawn.

2010/11/29 14:04Profile
iceman9

New York

You make a great point Doug.

Something to pray about indeed.

2010/11/29 15:00Profile

Re:

"Bretheren, be not children in understanding: Howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men."

I Cor. 14.20

Paul in another place says something to the extent (aka:paraphrase) that "if you think you know something, you do not know what you should know."

It's one thing to find greater congruency to scripture through 'discussion', be it debate or agreement, and another thing entirely to become malicious in the process.

For me, SI is an originating (cyber-)point for prayer, sharing, and learning no matter other individual's attitudes behind their interaction.

"This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they be sound in the faith; Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth. Unto the pure, all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1.13-16)

Since first sojourning here as home(page), it seems to be advocation of: precepts of men, traditions, and human opinions that muddle up things here. Mayhaps if these type things weren't so adamantly adhered to as ultimate truth the disagreements would not find a place.

Personally, here i will argue vehemently and sharply rebuke whenever the gospel of Jesus Christ is trampled over or completely disregarded.

Shalom,
g

p.s. i ain't no Rodney King. We can get along as long as there is no neglect or demeaning our Author and Finisher of His/our Faith(fulness). [see: Gal. 1.8-9 & 2.20]

2010/11/29 15:48
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
While there have been some healthy discussion, it seems more leaning to a place to start an argument, create division among brothers and a place to post 'your own' opinion about theology and much more 'gray' topics to stir unhealthy discussion. Lately the posts are frustrating me more than building me up. Maybe this is just where I am at. Am I alone?

You are not alone, I have noticed this also and it is grievous. The type of discussions that you describe have come up in these forums many times over the years but it does seem to be rampant lately, I share your frustrations.

During one such occasion in the past one of the moderators, our dear brother Mike Balog, posted something of a rebuke, to himself first, and a message also for others. I would like to post a link to it below for the consideration of all who post here...

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23687&forum=35&post_id=186322&refresh=Go

In Christ,

Ron

2010/11/29 18:49Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,i am a snarly old man who gets very moved by the harshness i perceive i have been seeing... not just here but all around...some people have a know it all attitude in the bible school here and cant pass in exam or write a quality paper...lets purpose in our hearts to love one another showing the world that we are His followers.let us cease beating up individuals who err in doctrine...yet still expose the doctrine...let us pray for those in error... the only way to stay out of error is to never get in the game and never do anything.jimp

2010/11/29 20:00Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
While there have been some healthy discussion, it seems more leaning to a place to start an argument, create division among brothers and a place to post 'your own' opinion about theology and much more 'gray' topics to stir unhealthy discussion.

Amen dear brother. May we seriously consider that every word we speak on these forums will be at the judgement seat of Christ. Jesus Christ said every "idle" word, how much more the words we carefully say that will be judged. We want to dismiss that because it does not fit into our idea of the grace of God. But it is true and Jesus Christ said it! Oh may we humbly ask the Lord that our speech can be more gracious and full of salt so others can glorify our father because of it.

also the reminder at the bottom of every post can help also:

The site moderators ask you before you post that you consider praying and ask the Lord if you have the right spirit to serve others in the body of Christ before posting and pressing the submit button. Please also look at these scriptures: Matthew 12:36, James 1:26, Colossians 4:6.

2010/11/29 22:14Profile

Quote:
Lately the posts are frustrating me more than building me up.

Good day brother,

May the Lord bless you for this post as it is confirmation of my own personal experience just recently. Before I share my own experience, it's important for me to say that it is not my intention to offend anyone, but rather to make my own confession before God and my brothers and sisters and hope that by my own experience someone may be edified. As usual I apologize if my post ends up being too long.

I've been visiting SermonIndex anonymously for quite some time, and it was mainly because of the tremendous sermons by the men and women of God and the ministry of Sermon Index itself. That is, "to see genuine biblical revival", a thing that my wife and I were seeking in our own lives. The word preached by these servants of God have been a tremendous blessing to my wife and I in ways that words could not adequately express.

I later became interested in the forums so I created a profile and began to be what I thought was interactive. I thought that those who came to a site such as this, were all like me, seeking Biblical Revival in their lives, and it would be a good thing to interact with brothers and sisters seeking the same thing as I.

I soon realized though that this was not the case and that this forum was pretty much like most online forums. A place where the anonymity of the internet...

Quote:
a place to hide behind our keyboard

...created some individuals with puffed up opinions and who were more interested in starting and winning an argument by having the last word. Individuals who were interested in the number of views and responses to a thread they created. Individuals who went about seeking to correct a persons view of a particular doctrine by imparting to them "their own opinion" on the matter for certainly "their view" was the correct one. A place to gain "reputation" by having a large post count or by commenting on every thread with a "controversial" comment. As you say...

Quote:
a place to start an argument, create division among brothers and a place to post 'your own' opinion about theology and much more 'gray' topics to stir unhealthy discussion.

...so as to appear to be "deep" and "spiritual". I soon found that the "Holier Than Thous", the "Know It Alls" and the "Super Spirituals" though few in number, were more dominant and the folks that I could tell were genuinely humble and seeking revival were being drowned out, in my mind at least, by such types.

I found myself coming to SermonIndex and going directly to the forums, no longer to the sermons, to see what new topic was posted or commented on by these pharisaical types. To see if a topic I posted was viewed or commented on. I found that I would be disappointed if my thread, or that of another humble poster, was not viewed or commented on, and the other controversial one was viewed hundreds of times and commented on by the "Know It Alls". I found that I began to be discouraged and asking myself "will revival ever come?", if the forum of a site seeking revival had this type of atmosphere. The discouragement I felt was real and powerful!

The Lord Jesus in His own unique and loving way came to me and by His Holy Spirit gently said to me "Thou art the man."

Little did I realize it, but I had become the very same thing that I was despising. The description I gave earlier was in fact a description of myself. I was standing in judgement of individuals I perceived to be "Know It Alls" and "Holier Than Thous", and did not realize that thinking myself to be right and them wrong made me into the real "know it All." I forgot that it is Christ who would call to account all the actions of His children, not me. Even though I though myself to be "in the right", the reality was that the forum had become my focus and not my Savior. I too was looking for "views" and "comments" and I became discouraged because I had taken my eyes of Jesus, and had began to look at others. They had it all wrong, I was in the right. They were proud, I was humble. It would be the equivalent of the Publican looking at the Pharisee and instead of praying to God and saying "be merciful to me a sinner," praying thus with himself, "Thank you Lord that I am not as Other Men!"

I had to repent in dust and ashes, and return to my first love The Lord Jesus. I had to repent of believing that I was right and confess that it is Christ who will say who is right and who is wrong. I had to repent of of my desire to "correct" the atmosphere on the forum and confess that it is Christ who is in control and has a purpose for all the things He allows. By allowing me to come here, He showed me the corruption in my own soul, the thing that I would not have seen in myself before. He showed me that revival is a personal matter, and if I do "grieve" it should be because I don't see revival in my own heart and life.

So now, when I come to SermonIndex, it's to listen to the word, just as at the beginning, and when I do come to the forums, I stay away from the controversial posts and comments and the Lord leads me to posts that will edify and encourage me.

So I would like to confess my sin and ask my brothers and sisters to forgive me. May the Lord continue to have His own perfect will in each and every life that surrenders fully to Him.

A fellow bond-slave of Christ
Everard

2010/11/30 6:30
iceman9

New York

Re:

Well said GlobalMicaia.

2010/11/30 9:00Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy