Discussion Forum : General Topics : humility vs low self esteem

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bobmcd510

humility vs low self esteem

Hi all,

Here's a quote by CS Lewis:

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less."

In my heart I know this to be true. I know that walking around with a chip on your shoulder is not real humility. But I'm curious where in the bible it speaks to this. Does anyone know of any scripture? So far I'm thinking of Matthew 6, and perhaps Isaiah 6. Anywhere else?

Thanks!

2010/11/29 12:19Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: humility vs low self esteem

John 3:30

2010/11/29 12:21Profile
buttermilk80

Ohio

Romans 12:3 is all I can remember in this regard:

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.

2010/11/29 12:22Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

My neighbor's dog has been over here for a couple days, while they have been out of town. And this morning she was looking into the mirror and growling, which led me to think of the verse about the "natural man beholding himself" james 1:23

Low self esteem i think can derive out of this, looking in the mirror and beholding our own image rather than who we are in Christ.

True humility is looking in the mirror and seeing what He has done, rather than our selves. And doing the "work" of Christ, that he has given us to do (titus 2:11-15)

Not sure who said this but, makes me think of the quote that goes some what like this...For every glance we look at ourself, we should look at Christ twice.

But I'm thinking more like 3 or 4 or even 5 times, may help!

2010/11/29 12:28Profile

Re:

you all show so much wisdom in your responses!
I try not to look in the mirror much anymore (inclined to growl), but looking in the mirror of His word only shows me my need and His provision.

2010/11/29 13:10
bobmcd510

Re:

Thanks everyone for your input. Romans 12:3 is a great ref. that I had forgotten about. So there is truth to the fact that we must judge and examine ourselves. At the same time I see a great example in the servants of God who have 'forgotten' themselves and are so concerned with pleasing and serving the Lord that their minds are consumed with Him and they have little time to think of themselves.

2010/11/29 14:24Profile

Hi Bob,

Another way to study humility, is to look for the verses which speak about pride, and what God will do or not do to the proud person.

I have been told there are well over a thousand verses in scripture on pride, so I'm not offering to point them all out. But you are definitely on to something.

Jesus said 'learn of me, for I am humble'. Not many times He invites us to learn something. Usually, He is answering a question, or telling us truth, like 'you MUST be born again'.

Being humble is something fallen people don't do naturally.

2010/11/29 15:55

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy