SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Tithing is not a New testament practice.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Earl,
The second quote was from two diff. paragraphs.
The second sentence makes reference to what the prophets tell us God will do to our hearts. It is a heart issue. We are saved by faith alone, apart from the deeds of the law. We have a changed nature and have the "want" to, to please God. That was what I was making mention to.
The first sentence was used in sarcasm. She gave her all. No offense was meant.

2010/11/29 21:14Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Just some thoughts:

1) Where in the NT is it taught that we are supposed to tithe money, instead of our "food stuff?"

2) Where is it said in the NT that of the all the "five-fold" ministries, that we are to give tithes to exclusively to pastors? Why not apostles? prophets? evangelists? teachers? Why pastors only?

3) Why are tithes used to pay for building programs, pay salaries, etc., when in the OT, it could only literally be to put food in the stomach of another? Where do pastors get the idea that they can do with the tithes as they please?

4) Why is the OT practice of burning a tenth of the tithe in fire abandoned?

I've heard a lot of sermons on tithing, yet I've never once heard these issues addressed.

2010/11/29 21:14Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The thing that the Lord has taught me through the Scriptures:

Jesus Christ is my tithe.

:-)

2010/11/29 21:15Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
Jesus Christ is my tithe.

How can that be?? you give 10% of Jesus?

Tithing isn't in the New Testament. It's an old Testament law.

Jimp wrote:
Quote:
i was waiting on annanias and his wife to give their views to make this complete. people want the power that the church had in acts when they held everything in common but hold on to every penny they can.

It's wasn't because they didn't give "all", it was because they said they gave all and lied about it.

2010/11/29 21:21Profile
learjet

Re:

Quote:
We have a changed nature and have the "want" to, to please God. That was what I was making mention to. The first sentence was used in sarcasm.

I hear what you are saying brother and agree with you.

Again, I'm talking about me and my problem slipping into a legalistic mindset. On purpose I quit figuring out what 'percentage' I give because I fall into a legalistic trap of trying to meet a quota rather than keeping a right spirit. I do give to several ministries that I believe in (as well as alms) but my wife keeps track of the details(she's a bookkeeper).

Please pray for me in this regards!

I'm not trying to be argumentative in this issue, just giving a reason that I believe the way that I do.

In Christ,
Earl J

2010/11/29 21:37Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

That's why we have fellow believers- to pray for one another. If satan can get us into a certain mindset, he's got us. What you may be weak in, I may be stronger. But, what I am weak in, you may be stronger. Let us all pray for one another and live truly for Christ.

That's what is great about the Gospel, God changes our hearts. It's not about towing the line out of rote obedience, but about relationship. I desire to please my wife because I love her. In like manner, I want to please my heavenly Father because I love Him.

2010/11/29 21:46Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, as the law is the narrow way and grace is the white line on the narrow road so giving out duty is to giving out of love.i agree that if it is between me feeding my family or giving a tithe that i would feed my family as the word teaches us so that i would not be worse than an infidel.if i see a dear brother in need i will give what i can to help that brother and the church body will not recieve.i have been a christian for over 45 years and God has provided miracle after miracle in monies for me and my family.i live more modestly than 98% of most people and know beyond a doubt that Gods principle of giving and receiving works and most of the time 10 fold.if you dont give out of the joy of the Lord nothing will happen.jimp one testimony: i preaced sun morning and evening in a large church and we were fed. later we were told that the treasurer and the pastor and the secretary were all on the same trip and we did not receive anything.living by faith is hard when this happens and boy did i murmur to the Lord...a year later i was driving in that area and my water pump went out and guess who was behind me.. the pastor of that church and he pulled over and told us to come eat with him and that he would call his mechanic and take care of the tow and the bill.and He did...

2010/11/29 21:47Profile
learjet

Re:

Wow jimp, that is an awesome story!

I've been there myself as well and it's at times like these that I really got to see God's love.

One time I went on a missions trip with other (non-paid) interns, I was the only married intern and my wife and I literally had ZERO dollars on the day that I was to leave. My wife was crying because she knew that I was leaving without money to eat for 3 days (nowadays I could live on fat stores strategically placed around my body :-)). I told her that I had prayed about it and the Lord would provide for me. I literally went 'into the secret place' and asked God to provide, boy was I happy! I left on the missions trip and told NO ONE my financial predicament and felt that God told me that I would return with more money than I left with, I don't believe in loud faith or poor mouthing.

It was amazing how people (the Lord) bought my food for every meal, without knowing the state of my finances. On the way home the pastor gave me a $20 bill for the return trip. Thus I had more money upon my return than I left with.

I can't tell this story without tears in my eyes about an Amazing Savior! These are the times when God really shows us how much He cares for us!

In Christ,
Earl J.

2010/11/29 22:05Profile

Re:

Quote:
Many want the blessings of the church, but do not want to contribute to its support

The Churches today are like a business. It's hardly about helping anyone. I remember sometime ago in a prominent church where a woman gave her tithe for many years. When she fell on hard times she was not able to pay that tithe, she went to the Church for some help in paying her rent, the Church looked over it's books and found that she missed two months tithing and they refused to help her. This shocked the community, but like everything, time passes, and it's forgotten.

It's sad to say this but the soup kitchen here is run by a Catholic woman, and the food banks are given by most supermarket chains. And the Church of Jesus Christ is refusing to help one of their own because she couldn't pay her tithe, something is deeply wrong with this picture.

I've seen guys curse and swear and drink like theirs no tomorrow and when someone needs something, they have their wallets out while we sit on the side lines thinking about whether or not we should give.

2010/11/29 22:10

Re:

Ok, but we are talking about tithing not being a New Testament practice or law.

If tithing (jewish law) was so important then why was it not brought up in the Jerusalem council regarding what the Gentiles should follow. If this is the only law that we Gentiles are supposed to follow, I don't see any mention of it in Acts 15.

Act 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

People get troubled with words today, too. Their souls are subverted by any law that someone puts on them. Not just the law of tithing.

Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

I am glad you guys love to tithe and get blessed, but this is not a command from the Lord and there are new believers listening in. Let's not teach error.

Lord, deliver us from Churchianity.

2010/11/29 22:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy