SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Tithing is not a New testament practice.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
trueblue

Tithing is not a New testament practice.

why oh why do churches put people under the bondage of tithing when Paul did not teach it..there are a couple of good sermons on this..tithing,money,giving as new testament believers..we are under a new covenant and the ceremonial law does not apply to us as grafted in gentiles..

2010/11/29 11:29Profile

Re: Tithing is not a New testament practice.

You probably know the answer to your own question. Most people on this site know that we are not under any law except the law of Christ...the law of Love. Christ is the end of the law to all who believe.

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Tithing is a payment system tied to temple sacrifice. Today it is a religious tax if you will. It ensures that monthly budgets are met and that salaried people can expect to get their paycheck.

Old Testament - Payment
New Testament - Giving from the heart as you purpose in your heart and not as others purpose for you.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Phi 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

That's about it, in a nutshell. You can get highly detailed with this subject, but we have been set free from the law because even though the law will never die, we died to it in Christ and are free to marry another (Christ).

Repeat the next verse 100 times and commit it to memory. ;-)

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

2010/11/29 12:26
trueblue

brother you have quoted as one purposes in His heart..the word purposeth from the Greek (to bring forth for one's self, to choose for one's self before another )..those that demand 10 percent from pulpits have purposed for the congregation thus contradicting Pauls teaching on the choice of the givers heart.. giving as one prospers shall facilitate the needs of the temple according to Pauls teaching and not ten percent..lets look at the doctrine of the Apostles on the matter.

2010/11/29 12:35Profile

Re:

I don't usually read the greek. I figure if the greek was so important then all of Greece would be saved. <smile>

When you look at the whole of God's Word, and don't take just one verse or one word, then I believe God explains what He is saying. I prefer seeing what the preponderance of all scripture says, rather than becoming a greek scholar.

I have noticed all to often where Greek and Hebrew scholars change the clear meaning of God's Word.

Anyway, no slight to you intended. I often love to hear what people are finding in the Greek or Hebrew, I just don't spend much time in those languages.

Anyway, I think you are agreeing with me...

2010/11/29 12:51
trueblue

Re:

ha ha..what am i agreeing with ??? that any church that teaches tithing ( 10 percent ) is teaching what is contrary to Pauls doctrine...sure ill go with that.

2010/11/29 12:55Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

The word "give" generously and freely
as GOD blesses and GOD gives is to be
taught and practiced in the Church !!

2010/11/29 13:41Profile

Tithing is the grease that oils the gears to keep the religious train on it's track.

It pays those who are hired...[unscriptural..] which maintains the clergy/laity..[ unscriptural...] [ we are a nation of priests, and we all have a ministry...] which supports the ONE MAN SHOW....[UNSCRIPTURAL ]AND THE BUILDING WITH IT'S PEWS...[spectators] unscriptural..and the predetermined meeting by the MASTER OF CEREMONIES, who is always the PASTOR.....[ unscriptural ]

[ every mention of Pastors in the new testament is PLURAL...except one time. ]

9 I wrote to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to have the preeminence among them, does not receive us.

10 Therefore, if I come, I will call to mind his deeds which he does, prating against us with malicious words. And not content with that, he himself does not receive the brethren, and forbids those who wish to, putting them out of the church."

Yes, the one time a single pastor is mentioned describes to a T the spirit of the modern hireling professional we have in today's pulpits. Tithing supports this exact system, and keeps the ambitious building their churches. you notice I said "THEIR?"

This is a system that God is tearing down in these last days; mark my words. Those bent on maintaining it...[ mostly by receiving the tithe..] will not enter into the sheep gate of the lord, where brethren dwell in unity...
[ Psalm 133. ]

2010/11/29 13:45
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: system of tithing

Quote:
This is a system that God is tearing down in these last days; mark my words. Those bent on maintaining it...[ mostly by receiving the tithe..] will not enter into the sheep gate of the lord, where brethren dwell in unity...

"See, I have appointed you this day over the nations and over the kingdoms, To pluck up and to break down, To destroy and to overthrow, To build and to plant."(Jeremiah 1:10)

2010/11/29 14:54Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Oh tithing, ugh I just got done with this subject, infact I resigned as Youth Pastor of my former church simply because I don't believe tithing in the New Testament sense is biblical. I believe we are to give freely, Cheerfully, and in secret. Apparently the pastor disagreed and asked for my resignation which I joyfully gave him.

2010/11/29 15:56Profile
trueblue

Re:

mguldner..sorry to hear that bro..but your right in what you believe.

2010/11/29 16:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy