Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : God, gods and Ye are gods

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

God, gods and Ye are gods

Steming forth out of another thread...

And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet. (Exo 7:1 KJV)

Psa 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Joh 10:32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, [b]Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?[/b]
Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
Joh 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
Joh 10:37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

I have never been able to resolve this. What did Jesus mean by His using this illustration and just what did it mean in the first place?

Have some assumptions but no real clarity.

2004/11/6 10:31Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: God, gods and Ye are gods

I have often thought of how much easier it would be to refute the claims of Jehovah Witnesses concerning the deity of Christ and also the claims of Mormons who say that Psalm 82 can be applied to all humanity or all believers, if Jesus had just responded a bit differently here instead of using this illustration. But God's ways are not my ways, praise His name!

Whenever Jesus says things that seem confusing to me I always try to remember that Jesus knew mens hearts, he new the motives behind their words and actions and he likes to address these hidden things and thus He would prick the consciences of those who heard Him.

The Pharisees often came to Jesus and they thought they had a head problem with what He was saying and doing, But the questions Jesus would ask them clearly revealed that their problem was one of an offended spirit, it was a heart problem.

Jesus is saying "if God gives these unjust judges the title "gods" because of their office, why do you consider it blasphemy that I call Myself the "Son of God" in light of the testimony of Me and My works?" He is trying to show their consciences their own inconsistency in accusing Him.

Thats my limited take on it, I'm looking forward to other comments.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/11/6 13:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy