Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : New guy from Scotland

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Simon

New guy from Scotland

Hey guys, 22 years old - 6 year old christian. Recenetly became very afraid of my lack of sensitivity to the sin in my life. After searching and seeking God I was broken at my local church's prayer meeting. Since then I have had a starving appetitie for learning his word and trying to discern what I believe and why. I have a new desire to share with people (christians/non-christians alike) the law, repentance and Jesus Christ. I was never really taught it growng up, I never really knew how vile sin was/is. I have become a big fan of Ravenhill and Tozer.

The more I study, the more I realise I know nothing! But this site has been a useful source for me

God Bless (really! ;)

Si.

2010/11/21 15:48Profile
Simon

Re: New guy from Scotland

p.s. I'm trying to construct a clear Gospel message (using scripture) so I can go through it with friends. However I'm struggling to find verses that talk about how we have clearly failed Gods law and the subsequent consequences. Any scriptures would be appreciated.

2010/11/21 15:52Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Pleasure to have you aboard. I understand where you're coming from in a lot of ways and can identify somewhat with your story. (Including the Ravenhill-Tozer part) And am glad that you have such a desire. Given your tastes in sermons, try Paul Washer's "Ten Indictments" and Paris Reidhead's "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" Reidhead was a friend of Leonard Ravenhill and Paul Washer was greatly influence by him. Have you any books by those two men you mentioned? I can give you a list of the best books to start with that I have read so far.

God richly bless you.

2010/11/21 15:52Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re:

I John 3:4b "Sin is the transgression of the law" (I may have messed up by one word, I always do :-) )

Use the Ten Commandments. Make personal application to people, then if you must, take them to the Sermon on the Mount and use the way Jesus expounded the Commandments where He traced it to the very principle. Also use Matthew 16 where He talks about that which is in man that defiles him. "Out of the heart proceedeth."

The Law usage is best applied so far by Ray Comfort, you can find the audiobook to "God Has A Wonderful Plan for Your Life: The Myth Behind the Modern Message" here in the audiobooks page.

2010/11/21 15:55Profile
Simon

Re:

I have most of Tozers books, none of Ravenhills. I am a big reader though so any book reccomendations would be appreciated. (Though I have lots to work through haha, Robert Murray Mcshayne, Jonathan Edwards, John Flavil. I'll definatley check those sermons out. Yeah I just finished listening to "Hells best kept secret" by Ray Comfort, in which he explains the law, and the need for it very clearly.

2010/11/21 15:58Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re:

"The soul that sinneth it shall die" Ezekiel 18:4

"The wages of sin is death." Romans 3:23

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." Revelation 20:14

2010/11/21 15:58Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re:

If you like puritans, then you must read Thomas Manton. His expostion of Isaiah 53 is amazing.

Also, I have been reading sermons by Andrew Gray, a Scottish puritan who died at the "ripe old age" of twenty two. It makes me cringe in shame let me tell you.

Also, if you are going to read Ravenhill, don't let cost get in the way, buy "Why Revival Tarries" and read that first. Then "Revival God's Way" Both are amazing.

The book "Hell's Best Kept Secret" is really good too. And I hate to load you up, but a devotional that has helped me would be Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His Highest"

2010/11/21 16:02Profile

Quote:
However I'm struggling to find verses that talk about how we have clearly failed Gods law and the subsequent consequences. Any scriptures would be appreciated.

This is what the first 10 chapters of Romans is about.

I saw the Law mentioned in another post this week, and I wondered whether this is the ideal place to start, when we are directing people to Jesus?

Can we not use HIS life as the comparison by which we ask people to compare theirs, to see they fall short of His glory; to explain to them how He died to destroy the devil, and give them a new heart and the Holy Spirit, and victory over sin?

I ask, because I'm thinking about these things myself.

The call to Christ is not, primarily, to a system of regulations, but to a Person, and a permanent, eternal relationship with Him, starting now, in which we are being changed from unrepentant sinners, to victorious overcomers, whose minds are being renewed into the likeness of His mind.

2010/11/21 16:51
Simon

Re:

Thanks for the verses :)

I like how Paul Washer puts it in one of his question/answer sermons on this site. Someone asks him "how do you start when talking to a un-believer?" He replies by stating that he always begins by pointing them to God, the fact that he is perfectly just, good and righteouss. Then he goes on to explain how this presents a problem for them.

I think we like to create concrete systems and steps which we can follow, but I don't think it always works out that way. I was really wanting a strong biblical base, so I could explain clearly why Jesus' sacrafice was neccessary.

As for if law is an ideal place to start I like these quotes:

"Before I preach love, mercy and grace, I must preach sin, Law and judgment." John Wesley

"Preach 90 percent Law and 10 percent grace." John Wesley

"They will never accept grace until they tremble before a just and holy Law." Charles Spurgeon

"Unless we see our shortcomings in the light of the Law and holiness of God, we do not see them at all" J.I. Packer

"First then, before you speak peace to your hearts, you must be made to see, made to feel, made to weep over, made to bewail, your actual transgressions against the Law of God." George Whitefield

2010/11/21 17:13Profile
Simon

Re:

Thanks - just finished listening to "Ten shekels and a shirt". I was totally blown away! When he talked about going to Africa so they wouldn't go to hell (for the sake of ending their own suffering - for the good of man), my head was nodding in an "amen" fashion. Then he totally rebuked it and said it should ALL be about Gods glory. I think I will have to listen to it a few times to really let it sink in.

I'll start with Thomas Manton :)

2010/11/21 17:20Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy