SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : New Jersey Pastor: Thou Shalt Not Use Facebook

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

New Jersey Pastor: Thou Shalt Not Use Facebook

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/nj-pastor-thou-shalt-not-use-facebook

The New York Post is reporting that the Rev. Cedric Miller said that 20 couples among the 1,100 members of his Living Word Christian Fellowship Church have run into marital trouble over the last six months after a spouse connected with an ex-flame over Facebook. Because of the problems, he is ordering about 50 married church officials to delete their accounts with the social networking site or resign from their leadership positions. He had previously asked married congregants to share their login information with their spouses, and now plans to suggest that they give up Facebook altogether. "I've been in extended counseling with couples with marital problems because of Facebook for the last year and a half," he said. "What happens is someone from yesterday surfaces, it leads to conversations and there have been physical meet-ups. The temptation is just too great." Miller is married and has a Facebook account that he uses to keep in touch with six children, but he will heed his own advice and cancel his account this weekend. Many marriages and relationships have had drama over Facebook postings. Perhaps we all should heed the pastor's advice: Thou shalt not commit adultery or use Facebook.

2010/11/19 16:33Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re: New Jersey Pastor: Thou Shalt Not Use Facebook

Now I would agree that married couples as well as children and parents should share all login information. THAT is just a safe idea, a family should not have a secret life, that is deception. But I will admit that forcing anyone to get rid of it is a too strong. If it was a request delivered in love out of concern I could understand, but it does not sound like that in all the information I have seen posted. I could be wrong though. I have heard Facebook preached against without the proper measure of love, and most of the people did not get rid of it because of that lack of love.

2010/11/19 16:42Profile

Re:

Quote:
If it was a request delivered in love out of concern I could understand, but it does not sound like that in all the information

When I was young and under my fathers care and I did wrong, and when I got the whipping, it didn't look like love, in fact one would think that the parent was mean. But over time we begin to appreciate the correction.

When Peter was rebuking Annais and Sapphira, that was love too, hard as it was, but they were an example for all the Church that one should not lie to the Holy Ghost. But what God did that day was love, so that the rest of the Church would not go astray, and as a result a godly fear came upon the people.

If people are going on facebook and committing adultery in the minds and stepping out on their partners, and the Pastor is commanding that everyone pull the plug on facebook, that is love. Telling everyone to be responsible and share their passwords is love as well.

The internet is like the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It has a lot of good on it, and also a lot of evil.

2010/11/19 16:57
Madefree

Alabama

Re:

You are quite correct. I was not thinking properly. I have mistaken what this man must be preaching for what I have seen. And what I have seen is what Paul Washer said about a fool weilding a scalpel when it belongs in a surgeon's hand. Looking at the subject again, you are right, how can a man seeing such a thing not react in such a manner?

Thank you for your clarity.

2010/11/19 17:02Profile

Re: New Jersey Pastor: Thou Shalt Not Use Facebook

Facebook isn't the problem here, just likes guns aren't what murder people. The problem here is people.
Thanks for posting.
God bless,
Joel ><>.

2010/11/20 16:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy