SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : HELP NEEDED: Canada Non-Proft Organization

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 HELP NEEDED: Canada Non-Proft Organization

Are there any people involved with Canadian Non-Profit Organizations? paticularly religious? I am taking steps towards getting SermonIndex to be a Non-Profit Organisation in Canada and would love to network and get any helpful ideas from anyone that has this type of Experience. I am also praying and looking for accounting help in this regard.

If you can personally let me know if you want to help in some regard or point me in the right directions that would be great. Feel free to email me or contact me directly via 'private message' on SermonIndex.

2004/11/4 11:59Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: HELP NEEDED: Canada Non-Proft Organization

Quote:
If you can personally let me know if you want to help in some regard or point me in the right directions that would be great. Feel free to email me or contact me directly via 'private message' on SermonIndex.

This set with SermonIndex is going ahead and I am needing to talk to an accountant and lawyer for the paperwork. I am prepared to pay fees for their services but if someone at SermonIndex is one or knows of an individual that could give some consulation for free or for a nomial price that would be great. Please email me at [email protected] if you can lead me into all directions.

2004/12/23 10:25Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

I'm not fully familiar with the Canadian laws regarding non-profits, but perhaps you should look carefully into what the consequences would be to freedom of expression on SI (if you have not already looked into this). In the U.S., for instance, any tax-exempt church that preaches on political issues (notably abortion, gay unions, etc) may find itself no longer tax-exempt (it depends on what slant they take, the political environment, and who hears about it). I'm somewhat more worried about your ministry coming under government oversight with regards to "hate speech", which could include our views on the exclusivity of Christ, biblical (i.e. not as egalitarian as the secular norm) views of gender, and particularly biblical views of homosexuality.

Probably the worst that would happen is your losing the tax exemption at a later date, but in Canada they might prosecute you if a sufficiently rabid anti-Christian finds some sufficiently egregious "hate speech" around here and complains that such is taking place on a non-profit site.

My concerns may be unfounded, but I just wanted to make sure you've checked into such possibilities.

2004/12/23 16:37Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Probably the worst that would happen is your losing the tax exemption at a later date, but in Canada they might prosecute you if a sufficiently rabid anti-Christian finds some sufficiently egregious "hate speech" around here and complains that such is taking place on a non-profit site.

Hi Brother! thanks for those insightful comments, yes I have thought this through quite abit and that concern you are mentioning is definetly on my mind. I might have to police the forums for such opinions and comments so that they do not represent the site and organization as a whole. I would also see if I could have a disclaimer for the forums stating that opinions expressed are not those of the SermonIndex organization, this is something definetly worth looking into with detail to ensure the protection against legal action for SI.

As for the Sermon materials and the general promotion of revival materials I don't see any of that being in question to the goverment or canadian public for that matter.

If you do know any christian lawyers or accountants that could help out that would be a blessing. I would love to get in contact with them ASAP.

2004/12/23 18:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy