SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Four in 10 say marriage is becoming obsolete

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Four in 10 say marriage is becoming obsolete

WASHINGTON – Is marriage becoming obsolete?

As families gather for Thanksgiving this year, nearly one in three American children is living with a parent who is divorced, separated or never-married. More people are accepting the view that wedding bells aren't needed to have a family.

A study by the Pew Research Center, in association with Time magazine, highlights rapidly changing notions of the American family. And the Census Bureau, too, is planning to incorporate broader definitions of family when measuring poverty, a shift caused partly by recent jumps in unmarried couples living together.

About 29 percent of children under 18 now live with a parent or parents who are unwed or no longer married, a fivefold increase from 1960, according to the Pew report being released Thursday. Broken down further, about 15 percent have parents who are divorced or separated and 14 percent who were never ...

read more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_declining_marriage

2010/11/18 17:24Profile
rainydaygirl

Re: Four in 10 say marriage is becoming obsolete

So sad to see this even among those who call themselves christian. There are many who I know who call themselves Christians and they are living with their partner with out any thought of what God has to say about such things...

rdg

2010/11/18 17:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

This really is no surprise when one considers the loose mentality many "Christians" have of the marriage contract. Many have imbibed the world's view that if things do not go as they want, they will jump ship and go for another person, thinking this other one will give them the happiness they are looking for. This mentality is the seedbed for failure: happiness is only found in Trusting the Creator, not in another human being because as fallen creatures we are wired to disappoint. Every time. We are not God and neither is anyone else...Now some may find that surprising - they may think they are god! If they don't know otherwise, I will be the first to stand in line to inform them otherwise!

ginnyrose

2010/11/27 9:50Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Judge not lest you be judged... word of Jesus.

I’m not saying living with someone before they are married is right but we must TRUST THE HOLY SPIRIT in these people’s lives. My personal experience has led me to believe that when someone is asked about their religion and they say ‘Christian,’ most are just indicating what kind of burial they want!! (huge grin) It doesn’t mean they walk with God.

Who is the Pew Research Center anyway?

I don’t think it’s a Christian organization despite their name. Here is the original article with graphics and everything!
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1802/decline-marriage-rise-new-families?src=prc-latest&proj=peoplepress

God bless,
Lisa

2010/11/27 10:45Profile

Re: 98%

I think that the number is actually quite higher if we were to define marriage as "Biblical marriage"; the only real Marriage covenant, between man and God.[secret motives included..]

Many, many are married today out of a desire for security. "He or she won't cheat on me now..", or sanctifying themselves in society, or for financial security [ forcing future securuty through alimony and divorce settlements...impossible if not married..], and social more's.

Also the spirit of Romanticism is paramount. [Peter proclaiming "I will die before I forsake you!"] People "FALL" in love, birds sing, and the moon shines brighter. This will always fall off, but God's word and devotion remains....to the faithful............................................

"This mentality is the seedbed for failure: happiness is only found in Trusting the Creator, not in another human being because as fallen creatures we are wired to disappoint."

"Every time. We are not God and neither is anyone else...Ginnyrose.................."

This is true.

2010/11/27 11:42
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Judge not lest you be judged... word of Jesus.

1 Corinthians 5:9-12: NASB

9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people;

10I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world.

11But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one.

12For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church?

13But those who are outside, God judges. REMOVE THE WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES.

To be obedient to this command requires discernment, evaluation and judging. The concept of immoraliy being sin does not begin in the heart of man, but God.

ginnyrose

2010/11/27 13:02Profile

What Marries a man to a woman?

Using the bible only, please.

2010/11/27 17:01
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Murray,

Here is an article that address your question "What marries a man to a woman?"

The Marriage Mystery http://www.christianitytoday.com/biblestudies/questions/marriage/themarriagemystery.html

An excellent read.

2010/11/28 23:12Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,with isaac and rebekah,he brought her into his mothers tent and took her as a wife and loved her...gen.24:67

2010/11/28 23:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

It appears that this gesture must have meant more that when we know about their culture. What do you say, jimp?

2010/11/29 18:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy