SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : suggested reading for new believers.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobbieMcGee

suggested reading for new believers.

What would you all suggest as far as first steps books or other suggested reading for brand new believers who know nothing at all about true Christianity and walking with God.

2004/11/4 7:47Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: suggested reading for new believers.

We need to encourage new believers to dive into the Word as much as possible, to that end I would highly recommend a book by Howard Hendricks titled [i]Living by the Book[/i]. This book will help new and old believer alike in getting excited about reading the Bible and also in getting the most out of their time in studying the Bible.

It is a very good introduction to Bible study that covers observing the text (the most important step and the one given the least space in most introductory books), interpreting the text, and applying the text (another often neglected step).

There is also an excellent workbook that you can get to go along with the book, this helps you develop each of the skills with additional excercices, highly recommended.

This book has been a great help to me in digging deeper into God's Word.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/11/4 9:37Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Yes its amazing when you first become a Christian how much of a desire you have for the pure word of God!

Here are a few titles that clearly have been a blessing to many throughout the years:

*[b]Sit, Walk, Stand[/b] by Watchman Nee
[b]Life of the soul hidden in man[/b] by Henry Scrougal
[b]Commentary on Galatians by Luther[/b] by Martin Luther
[b]All of Grace[/b] by C.H. Spurgeon
[b]What is a Christian[/b] by T. Austin Sparks

2004/11/4 10:38Profile
rocklife

usa

The Picture Bible by Iva Hoth is a great tool for my family of young-in-the-faith believers (even my 55 year old mother won't put it down). It's the bible in comic book form, with great artwork and 800 pages of the bible in paraphrase form (I believe). This book sure helped me get a grasp of the Old Testament.

The Bible on audio tapes (even in different versions is good) is a great tool for young believers. I do this the most.

And the parallel bible.

And a good bible dictionary (I don't know of one yet, I am not happy with the one I have now, but I know they are out there).

Then prayer and God's Holy Spirit to guide. God answered my request for a love of His word after a year and a half of petitioning. After more obedience on my part, and my diligence and seeking Him more and more, He answered the prayer for a love of His word, so if the Bible is a bit boring, keep asking God, He will answer prayers to those who truly want Him. :-?

2004/11/11 0:52Profile
Spitfire

Hi Robbie. One of the most helpful littl books for me has been My Utmost For His Highest, by Oswald Chambers. It is a daily devotional, also, so that will help young ones to think towards spiritual growth every day.

2004/11/11 6:24Profile
PastorEdP

Clinch Mountain, Virginia

Re:

I agree with Dian. You can't do much better than Oswald Chambers. I would also recommend "The Pursuit of God" by A.W. Tozer. This easy-to-read book places the true majesty of God in the proper perspective. And any book by Charles Swindoll or Ray Stedman is good. I would add one more thing. Before you chose anything to read -- other than the Bible, of course -- I caution you to check out the title and author with a Spirit-filled, Bible-believing, Spiritually mature Christian. There are so many books out there that border on heresy (or go over the line) and can easily sucker a new believer into incorrect doctrine.

Just be sure that you take these extracurricular materials only as starting points for your own Biblical studies. Remember, no person is the "last word." You find that from God and only in Scripture. Develop a Bibly reading program for yourself where you can read through the Old Testament at least once a year and the New Testament at least twice a year.

2004/11/11 8:01Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
The Bible on audio tapes (even in different versions is good) is a great tool for young believers.

And 'old' I might add. Even for some of us 'teenagers' in the faith. Had been recently going through the audio version on CD and it is just tremendous to get the Word into you through the ear gate. The one I have, http://www.listenersbible.com/products.html is narrated by Max McLean who has a wonderful speaking voice, not overtly dramatic but it lends some inflection to the text. There is some downloads available if you dig around there. Can be on the pricey side though it looks like that cut it a bit recently.

There is an audio version here on SI as well, and others available for free, think www.sermonaudio.com has a dramatized version as well.

2004/11/11 8:02Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
I caution you to check out the title and author with a Spirit-filled, Bible-believing, Spiritually mature Christian. There are so many books out there that border on heresy (or go over the line) and can easily sucker a new believer into incorrect doctrine.

Well said Pastor.

Much easier to establish the foundation than to unravel a poorly built building. Coming from a condemnded building project, was blessed by the wisdom of dear elderly lady that steered me backwards to the classics. "Pilgrims Progress" By Paul Bunyon, the above mentioned A.W. Tozer as well as "The Knowldge of The Holy" (Anything by him in my book).

2004/11/11 8:23Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

I would definately recommend Ron Bailey's devotionals.

The person concerned could read 1 a day until they "caught up" with the rest of us. :-)

If you want a word document with them all on (all so far that is) then e-mail me and I will send it to you.

2004/11/11 8:26Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

If you can hold of a copy...

Campbell Morgan's "God's Perfect Will"

is one of my favourites starting places. It will encourage the newist convert to look to God for the outworking of his salvation. I can find electronic copies 'logos' etc but this ought to be reprinted.

Another Campbell Morgan worth considering would be Basic Principles of the Christian Life

2004/11/11 10:30Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy