SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Andrew Strom Renounces the Prophetic Movement & the Recent Whitedove Conference in Kansas City ...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
todd

California

Re:

Aaron,

You wrote:
"While [Bickle] accepts this phenonema, Joyner rejects it."

Where do you find this?

2004/11/6 18:46Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Counting the Cost for Following Christ

Amen Mrs. Fred,

If we really want to follow Christ, there's always a significant cost attached. It's going to cost our time, our money, our everything if we're going to follow Christ.

The present Gospel in the U.S. promises much and requires little. I'm reminded of Jesus words in Luke 14:33 "So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple."

2004/11/6 19:21Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Yes, a 'song of solomon' kind of love but I still have the fear of the Lord to go along with it.

Praise God! I like that comment on the love and fear of God working in tandem. The whole post, actually, is true.

Quote:
The present Gospel in the U.S. promises much and requires little.

Amen!

2004/11/6 20:51Profile
todd

California

Re:

Mike,

You wrote:
"But if the Word of God is authoritative and is our measuring rod at what point do we determine what is not of God and what is?"

Maybe there's some things we can't immediately determine for sure, we may have to wait awhile, or possibly never determine in a conclusive way. If it's not clearly shown to be wrong in the Scriptures, then who are we to think we can make that judgment? How much faith do you put in "common sense"? I am going to stick with the Scriptures. If they leave an open door, I'm not going to shut it. That doesn't mean I'm going to accept everything that comes my way. I may have to reserve judgment indefinately; throw it into the file labeled "mystery" or "?" in my mind. And I can believe whatever I want in private. But I certainly don't trust in opinions as final authority.

Quote:
"Wouldn't this mean that the Mormons are right then?"

I don't know a lot about what Mormons believe but it is my understanding that their main problem is that they don't believe in the power of the blood of Jesus. And I think Scripture clearly speaks to that error. But perhaps someone else could be of more help here.

Quote:
"Some of it has got to be common sense."

Hmmmm.... :-(

Quote:
"Maybe a better question to this is, why? Why would angels be blowing on peoples finger tips?"

It's just as easy to ask "why not?" Why wouldn't angels blow on peoples fingertips? If they are ministering [i]spirits[/i] (#4151 "[b]Pneuma[/b]; primarily denotes the wind, related to pneo [4154], to breathe, blow. Breath..."), I don't find it strange at all that they might [i]blow[/i] on peoples fingers.

Quote:
"The 'Holy Spirit' is what I meant"

In that case I don't think these things are inconsistant at all. It seems that the Holy Spirit, both biblically and historically, has no problem with doing things that offend peoples minds. He has no problem contradicting people's [i]understanding[/i] of Scripture, though He won't contradict Scripture.

Quote:
"I guess if you want to boil it all down it seems to be a lack of reverence in my opinion."

Ok. In my opinion it doesn't seem that way. But who really cares about our opinions? ;-)

Quote:
"But for Gods sake are we to just sweep these things under the rug? Make concessions for every strange thing that comes along the pike?"

Sweep them where you will, in private, but don't speak authoritativly, conclusively, and judgmentally in public based on your opinoins. I'm using "you" here not specific to [i]you[/i] Mike. Who are we to close doors God has left open? Talk about lack of reverence.

Quote:
"I give up. Forgive me."

Ok. If you want to continue the discussion I am open to it. If not, ok.

2004/11/6 21:16Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Paul defends his ministry

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one's praise will come from God. 1 Cor 4:5 NKJV

2004/11/6 23:23Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Prophetic thinking

Prophetic thinking

The Berean thinking is deductive thinking – a process of reasoning by which a specific conclusion necessarily follows from a set of general principles.
The Berean thinking is deductive thinking – God is light, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow.
Berean thinking asks the question, “What does the Word of God imply and mean.”
It is prophetic thinking which makes careful research and inquiry seeking to know the time and the circumstances of the Cross and the of glories to follow.
It has no hidden agenda.
It is straight thinking which does not allow for any interruption or interference by anything which is not aligned to this specific ambition.
It is a way of thinking which saves. Truth is an active factor of liberation. The Truth shall set you free.

The words of the Lord are pure words, as silver tried in a furnace, refined seven times. It must be meditated upon in prayer which requests revelation. It never lends itself to man’s agendas. It is relevant, it is not religious. God is relevant, He is certainly not religious. His way of arguing is straight lined arguing. If any man is willing to do His will, he shall know. . .

The thinking set up over against the Spirit-led pondering upon the Word of the Lord may be called Seductive thinking.
It imposes its ideas by seductive means and techniques. Its favourite field of operation is to try to press the Word of the Lord into man’s moulds to support mans religious agendas. It uses the Word to gain support for and to prove man’s ways and man’s thesis. It appears as religious and sensual. It promotes a lustful approach to spirituality. The spiritual becomes a realm of entertainment under its influence.

The arguing techniques of the seductive thinking are loaded with contradictions and evasive changes of direction in a line of thought. It uses derogative means to do harm to an exchange of views. It dodges the main point by meaningless excursions. The seductive thinking shuts itself in and stops communicating when caught in its own contradictions. It at times threatens with spiritual suicide if heavily opposed – “you cannot do this to me, it’s unfair, you do not love me, it’s not God’s love. He is kind, the prophetic gifts are for edification.”
The seductive thinking is one of the major instruments to defend sin and to allow for the flesh to stay un-crucified. It gathers endorsement for its own way of interpreting the Word, and as much support is secured the new thesis has become “present-day-truth.”

The Cross of Jesus Christ sharpens the conflict between true truth and the seductive type.
The Cross of Jesus Christ positions a prophetic community in opposition to religious hype.
The Cross of Jesus Christ provides a line of division which is sharper than any law, and dictates for any and every man to decide for true life through death.
The Cross of Jesus Christ will never lend itself to the establishment of a Jezebelic, seductive interpretation of the eternal purposes of the Lamb, the Lord.

Lars W.

2004/11/7 3:58Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

The western church is so stuck on itself, so caught up in fables and fortunes, I have lost all respect for it. Look closely at the church in other countries, where it COSTS SOMETHING to be a Christian. They don’t have problems discerning principalities and powers --- they have THE power. They don’t waste time writing books --- they have THE book. They could care less about prophetic offices, prophetic mumbo-jumbo, prophetic prayer breakfasts, prophetic conferences and prophetic pronouncements from rich prophetic super-stars. They have REAL prophets who have nothing…. except scars from their beatings and tortures. REAL prophets who have nothing… except broken bodies from years of imprisonment, starvation, and forced labor. REAL prophets who have nothing… because all of their loved ones, all of their possessions, everything they own or love on this earth, has been taken from them, many times over… because they would not let go of JESUS or deny His Holy Name.

hallelujah! Oh to "just" have Jesus!

2004/11/7 8:18Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

The western church is so stuck on itself...because they would not let go of JESUS or deny His Holy Name.

Demand for teaching in China continues to grow

By Ross Paterson, Director DPM-China
New Chinese believers, churches and leaders increase need

A sad reality

Several months ago, I visited a house church gathering in a major city in northern China. I had been invited to join a friend for a meal with the leader of that group. As I met them in the street, I was told, “You are preaching at the meeting tonight”—in Chinese, of course! So much for letting me know in advance!

We first ate a meal with the house church leader and his son, which gave me an opportunity to begin to get to know them. Afterward, we went to the meeting in a high-rise apartment block nearby. The Christian brothers and sisters came one by one to the apartment, greeting one another warmly. Forty or more people crammed in together. We then worshiped the Lord and prayed, and after that I shared truths from the Bible.

When I had finished preaching, I had to slip away, as I was leaving the city the next day and it was already well into the evening. The leader saw me out of the apartment complex, extending warm friendship. But the meeting was not yet finished, as my friend was still sharing from the Word as I left. The Chinese house churches do not usually approve of short meetings!

Some weeks later I met my friend again, this time in Singapore. As we chatted about other matters, he suddenly told me that two days after I left that house church meeting, something very unfortunate happened. The son of the leader with whom we had shared a meal and who had attended the meeting at which I spoke had tried to kill himself. When I asked why, I was told that it was partly because the leader and his wife often had arguments and shouted at each other. Perhaps the son could not handle that and wanted to escape.

Does that surprise you—that a leader and his wife in a Chinese house church would have a shaky marriage while still being involved in church leadership? And that their son could take no more and try to kill himself? May I ask you why you think it would be less likely to happen in China than in your country?

Ordinary people

There is a great danger in the West of seeing the Chinese church through romantic spectacles. When we hear that 100,000 missionaries are in the process of coming out of China to plant churches in the hardest areas of the world in what is called the 10/40 window, we assume they are all spiritual supermen and women—not ordinary people!

Exciting things like this cause us to assume that all Christians in China are passionate for Jesus, totally surrendered, amazingly holy and without problems in their lives. We tend to believe that they could not possibly have the same kinds of problems that exist in the church in your country or mine—personal failures, marriage and family problems, and so on. But that is not true.

Many Chinese Christians are amazingly passionate for Jesus, but they are not superhuman—they are just like you and me, some of them struggling with problems and needs just like the family I described earlier. Can you even imagine how different your relationship with the Lord would be today if you had never received the right teaching?

One believer in China responded to Derek’s teaching by saying, “We seldom have books to help us understand the principles in choosing a job and a life partner, to help us understand life’s problems and how to face difficulties. Please provide us with books that help us to understand the Bible.”
End of article.

We do allot of work into Africa, and granted there is a mighty move of God happening amongst the people, but what they lack is teaching.

It is humbling to see guys who lead churches preaching from one page of the bible, because that is all they have. Then they all meet together and swop pages and so it goes on. These are big capacity chaps, some of them having planted churches that number into the hundreds. But how much scriptural foundation can be laid in a church when all you have is one page for a couple of months.

Growing in the grace and the knowledge,

2004/11/7 9:50Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Prophetic thinking

Quote:
The Berean thinking is deductive thinking – a process of reasoning by which a specific conclusion necessarily follows from a set of general principles.
The Berean thinking is deductive thinking – God is light, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow.
Berean thinking asks the question, “What does the Word of God imply and mean.”
It is prophetic thinking which makes careful research and inquiry seeking to know the time and the circumstances of the Cross and the of glories to follow.

HI Lars
Do you imply by this that there are (at least) two different modes? Are they complementary or opposed?

2004/11/7 13:15Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Ron,
I am not sure I understand what you imply by choosing the word ”mode”.
This description of two major ways to handle truth has, of course, many implications and is more or less developed by every practitioner.
I am by this testing the validity of painting a picture I think I can see in these colours, by strokes of this kind of brush.

2004/11/7 13:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy