Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Proverbs 6:16-19

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Proverbs 6:16-19

"These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

Sowing discord among brethren is counted along with murder...among other things.

2010/11/11 22:22Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Proverbs 6:16-19

What litmus test is there for us to take to determine if our words are under the "exhortation/rebuke," or the "discord," categories?

2010/11/14 23:10Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

love?

God looks upon the heart.

What is the motive behind the conversation.

Even Paul warned against "certain" brethren, by name too.

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

2010/11/14 23:17Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Is it really only a matter of the heart? Or are there more quantifiable factors?

2010/11/14 23:29Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

the quantifiable matters are matters of the heart, or should be anyhow.

for instance, what is the situation? who is involved?

What is the relationship with the person? - this one really stands out to me.

Will they hear what you are saying?

what do you think?

2010/11/14 23:34Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Here is what I am getting at, Galatians 2:11, "I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed."

What is the quantifiable love displayed in this verse?

2010/11/14 23:57Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Galatians 2:9
9And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

There was relationship, and at least at this time an ear to hear.

13And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.

But Peter was leading others astray, so deserved to be rebuked. So much that even Barnabas was being led astray!

however, anyone that is leading others astray needs a rebuke from any where! not sure if relationship matters at this point. It just may not be heard, from an "outside" source.

however, Proverbs 27:6
6Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

Better from a friend, than anyone else!

2010/11/15 0:12Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

According to the first chapter, it appears that Paul points out how he had only spent a little while with Peter...fifteen days. This is a significant amount of time to develop a relationship, I think you are correct to point that out.

However I am probably being a bit vague in my questioning. So I will spill what I am thinking.

When Paul said, "To his face," I see an incredibly important difference between "discord," and "exhortation."

Discord is almost always performed under baited breath...with a rolled eye...behind a back, on a blog, at a home bible study...on a walk. Discord is...cowardly. It is FEAR! The word says that perfect love casts out fear. Paul had no fear because of his Love for God...his love for his brother. Love compelled him to speak to the face! Cowards, and discordant people speak against others behind backs. There is always something sneaky about it...something slithery.

Speaking to someones face is a quantifiable expression of Love, I was not really expecting your angle on relationship, and I think it has value, however love does not always operate out of relationship, it often does generate it though, the only reason I say that is because there may be times we have to stand up against those whom we didn't know from Adam. The psalmist often spoke of wanting Gods gaze to turn upon him. A poetic expression of the intimacy between locked eyes. It is interesting that the proverb I quoted to start this off with speaks about a proud look. A proud look is wicked in God's eyes. And I for certain do not want his gaze to lock vectors with mine as I proudly look at one who I would never confront to the face, but would quickly shed the blood of another man's reputation like a thief in the night.

2010/11/15 0:33Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
Discord is almost always performed under baited breath...with a rolled eye...behind a back, on a blog, at a home bible study...on a walk. Discord is...cowardly. It is FEAR! The word says that perfect love casts out fear. Paul had no fear because of his Love for God...his love for his brother. Love compelled him to speak to the face! Cowards, and discordant people speak against others behind backs. There is always something sneaky about it...something slithery.

Amen.

Ez 3:20Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumbling-block before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Warning the heathen is way easier. The fear of man gets in the way, way more when it's your own family! However, all the more reason to do it I suppose, because it is your family.

However, perhaps that is why relationship is so important, so that you are not thought of just another "self-righteous" brother or sister. I think its Zac Poonen that says for every 1 exhortation for the type that you are speaking, there should be at least 10 encouragements that you have already given the person. When Jesus reproved the churches in revelation, He first told them what that they were doing that He was pleased with, before He told them their downfalls.

2010/11/15 0:49Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
When Paul said, "To his face," I see an incredibly important difference between "discord," and "exhortation."

Amen. ez 3:9

2010/11/15 0:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy