Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Amplified Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 The Amplified Bible

[b]The Amplified Bible[/b]
The first complete Bible produced by The Lockman Foundation was the Amplified Bible. The Amplified Bible is a translation that, by using synonyms and definitions, both explains and expands the meaning of words in the text by placing amplification in parentheses and brackets after key words or phrases.This unique system of translation allows the reader to more completely grasp the meaning of the words as they were understood in the original languages. Through multiple expressions, fuller and more revealing appreciation is given to the divine message as the original text legitimately permits.

More Information:
http://www.gospelcom.net/lockman/amplified/
---

Does anyone have any person opinions, experiences with this translation of the scriptures?

2004/11/3 15:32Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The Amplified Bible

I bought this version when the Old Testament was in three sections and waited patiently for the completed work, and yet I never use it now. I'm not sure why.

I think as my own mental study tools developed I tended to go to the source rather than this kind of help. As a study aid it can be very helpful, but as a devotional Bible it will scatter your thoughts too widely. For study that broadening of idea can be very helpful, but for devotion I found it a distraction. It just doesn't flow, but then it was not intended to do so. I also noted that some of its 'translations' are really just rather vague paraphrases and occasionally unjustified at that.

I think that may be why I stopped using it; I began to lose confidence in its integrity.

Just my personal experiences. I recall one of T Austin Sparks audio files where he praises it very highly. He was commenting on the fact that the Amplified usually says 'Christ- the Messiah' and he found that reminder valuable. A version is available for e-sword but at a price of $20.

2004/11/4 4:28Profile
formidable

Perth, Australia

Re:

this is actually the bible i have been using for the past 4 years in devotions aswel as study.
i have others but i like it for that reason that it does give the other meanings of certain words more describing such as have faith,rely upon, adhere to as a vital nessecity in God.
it does make it hard but i love it it speaks to me i also have a king jimmy each to there own he who has ears here what the spirit is saying to him?

2004/11/4 9:35Profile
dougkristen

Re:

I have a question. Why so many different versions of the Bible? I was listening to John Piper who said that the NIV paraphrases the english language from the greek text which it then loses it's meaning from the writers.

Grace & Peace,
Doug

2004/11/4 10:51Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I have a question. Why so many different versions of the Bible? I was listening to John Piper who said that the NIV paraphrases the english language from the greek text which it then loses it's meaning from the writers.

NIV is clearly a para-phrase version which is not literal to the meaning of the greek and hebrew in every place. There are many [b]literal[/b] translations that differ for reasons of opinion and emphasis wanting to be put. I still think personally the King James Version as it stands is near to the best, if not. This influx of translations into the marketplace has really taken off since 1960, before then it was much more of a sacred and careful process. Now anyone can make a translation.

From my looking into it and from the conversation here it appears that the 'amplified bible' falls into the category of literal translations.

2004/11/4 10:55Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

Well, I'm certainly not a Bible Scholar by any means...but I stick with King James. However, I do glance at other versions sometimes to see their "version" of a scripture.

Call me silly, but something just keeps bothering me about all these different versions.

However, like I said, I do use them at times...to get a different viewpoint...but I tread carefully.

There's my two-cents
Mark

:-D

2004/11/4 17:39Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re: The Amplified Bible

I read most, but go back to the king James. I read and let the lord and his spirit do the directing. I really feel that there are to many newer one's coming out.

2004/11/4 21:38Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I think this is going to go wider than just the Amplified so I am going to comment here instead on in the original thread.

I have added a comment on this to the Which Version thread.

2004/11/5 4:41Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy