Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : To Be Like Jesus - Winslow

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

To Be Like Jesus - Winslow

Oh to be like Jesus!

Meek, and lowly, and gentle, and kind, and forgiving; without craftiness, without deceit, without malice, without revenge; without one temper, or thought, or feeling, or look, that is unlike Him! Beloved, mistake not the nature and the evidence of growth in sanctification. In all your self-denial in this great work, be cautious of grace-denial. You will need much holy wisdom here, lest you overlook the work of the Spirit within you. You have thought, it may be, of the glory that Christ receives from brilliant genius, and profound talent, and splendid gifts, and glowing zeal, and costly sacrifices, and even extensive usefulness. But have you ever thought of the glory, the far greater, richer glory, that flows to Him from the contrite spirit, the broken heart, the lowly mind, the humble walk; from the tear of godly repentance that falls when seen by no human eye, and the sigh of godly sorrow that is breathed when heard by no human ear; and the sin abhorrence, and self-loathing, and deep sense of vileness, and poverty, and infirmity that takes you to Jesus with the prayer:

“Lord, here I am; I have brought to You my rebellious will, my wandering heart, my worldly affections, my peculiar infirmity, my besetting and constantly overpowering sin. Receive me graciously, put forth the mighty power of Your grace in my soul, and subdue all, and rule all, and subjugate all to Yourself! Will it not be for Your glory, the glory of Your great name, if this strong corruption were subdued by Your grace, if this powerful sin were nailed to Your cross, if this temper so sensitive, and this heart so impure, and these affections so truant, and this mind so dark, and these desires so earthly, and these pursuits so carnal, and these aims so selfish, were all entirely renewed by Your Spirit, sanctified by Your grace, and made each to reflect Your image? Yes, Lord, it would be for Your glory, through time and through eternity.”

- Octavius Winslow

2010/11/10 19:36Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: To Be Like Jesus - Winslow

"For HE must increase, but I
must decrease."

JOHN 3:36

2010/11/10 20:50Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

This is awesome, thank you for posting this. I am going to print it out and put it so I can read and pray on this each day. An awesome encouragement.

2010/11/11 13:10Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: To Be Like Jesus - Winslow

Oh, to be like Thee
Blessed Redeemer,
pure as Thou art
Come in Thy sweetness,
Come in Thy fullness
Stamp Thine Own image
Deep in my heart !

2010/11/11 14:13Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
This is awesome, thank you for posting this. I am going to print it out and put it so I can read and pray on this each day. An awesome encouragement.

I know! You will find practically all the devotional material of Octavius Winslow to be just like this. His writings inflame the heart and stir up in the reader a deep love and abandonment for Jesus Christ. A true source of edification and blessing for the Christian sojourner today.

2010/11/11 15:30Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy