SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Catechism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

KingJimmy,

Don't you think that if God wanted to give us a summery statment of the faith in the form of a catechism instead of the whole Bible, He would have just done that.

2010/11/8 19:27Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Well, God gave us teachers as a gift to the Church, so, if a teacher wants to put together a tool such as this, I think such can be a gift from God as well.

2010/11/8 19:30Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

But men are not without error, while the inspired Word of God is.

2010/11/8 20:17Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Yet, God gave us teachers anyway.

2010/11/8 20:26Profile
davidc

France

Re:

"I have in mind something that just gives basic instruction in the fundamentals of the faith."

And do you have in mind to exclude those who don't go along with the church-agreed catechism?

You are building your church, but Christ is building His own.

David

2010/11/8 20:33Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Brothers, I'm just looking to use a tool to teach the fundamentals of the faith. If there would be those who object to most of the statements found in a "church-agreed catechism," then they probably aren't Christians to begin with.

If you are looking to pick a fight and be strifeful, please go play elsewhere. I'm really not in the mood. No offense.

2010/11/8 20:37Profile
davidc

France

Re:

If they are not christians, you should be preaching the gospel to them.
If they are chistians, then they have the Holy Spirit to teach them.

2010/11/8 20:47Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Jesus said to make disciples of all men, and to teach them. All men need to be taught the things of God, from craddle to grave. There is a place for regular, condensed, systematic instruction in the life of the Church.

2010/11/8 20:58Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I actually don't know a whole lot about Catechism but I do know any systemized teaching can and most likely will lose its "life" within the first generation. Meaning usually the 2nd and 3rd Generation lose the meaning of the catechism, we see this even with Moses Song, Israelites just couldn't seem to not repeat the mistakes of their fathers even after learning Moses' song.

We see that though the Catechism could be helpful to the First Generation it doesn't garentee the transfer of relationship to the next generation. So where does this leave us? How do we teach? I believe by teaching from the Word and Living and Leading by example. True discipleship in my view is just like being a big brother or father.

Ultimately I see more disadvantages than than advantages. As a young boy I grew up memorizinig and learning doctrines and other biblical principles along with bible scriptures, however I wasn't saved until I was 21 years old, in fact for so many years I wasn't saved however since I went through the classes and was baptised I thought I actually was saved, however if I had died then I was garenteed an eternity in hell.

Its quite dangerous to me for such line of thinking and must be taken into consideration. I believe there are better ways to teach but I found I truly didn't have a deep relationship with Christ until I abandoned all doctrine and read the bible to see what I actually believe. I want to know what I believe something that I find with Catechism is the basis of their belief is the Catechism itself and so instead of getting a biblical answer you get a more vague because the catechism says so kind of answer.

I believe what I believe because the Lord has revealed it to me in His Word through the Holy Spirit. Nothing beats simple prayer and reading of the Word for Learning.

2010/11/9 1:38Profile
Lesserlight

Re:

Quote:
If you are looking to pick a fight and be strifeful, please go play elsewhere. I'm really not in the mood. No offense.

Hi KJ

LOL ..... Writing your initials for short I just figured out what your username stands for....... well what can I say but I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the block.

Anyway.....

Sorry if I came across as picking a fight but the truth is if I could come up with what you are looking for I would be the first to post it.

I really do wish there there would be such a list somewhere and if you can come up with that or anything else that would result in God returning to the church I will be looking for directions on how to get to your church.

I believe we are witnessing what Jesus said to look for in the following verse....

Mark 13:14
But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

According to Daniel the abomination of desolation was a result of "when the truth went out of the sacrifice" that describes why the church has become desolate.

For us the "sacrifice" is the praise that comes from our lips and I really do believe that something needs to be done that will get the church back in the direction that it was in when the Apostles were at the helm........ so you see I would love to see a "doctrine of faith' anywhere that is witnessed by God to be the definitive "true faith".

Somewhere there are a few "mountains" to flee to that in God's appointed time will lead the church into returning to face God with doctrines and praises that will please Him ........ and I wish you the absolute best at either finding one or becoming one.

Blessings

Doug

2010/11/9 8:24Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy