SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Bible college test and answers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
William Macdonald said, "a sanctified person or thing is one set apart from ordinary uses to be for God's own possession, use & enjoyment".

Beautiful! Love it!

ginnyrose

2010/11/1 22:01Profile
knitefall

that's what I'm talking about!

All of you beautiful Saints have posted good postings.

I started this topic(s) as there is a great need for Spirit food in our land. And what will we give those oversees who still need to hear? More law? Pompous words? The believers would not last a few years having been fed that way. And on SI, I'm tired of mundane and unlearned arguments that eventually come to most posts. It's like majoring on the minor kind of stuff.

But as I see it, not because I started it, but there is a great need for Spirit teaching and understanding of how we are actually Sanctified and set free from the power of darkness.

I have seen too many wrong doctrines taught and attempted and the True Way ignored. Many will say "it's too easy" and "if you preach that, you'll have sin all over!" You know, the "gotta cram MY method of living for God in the people."
But sadly, none of it works.

BenWilliams - great post! Those things that you posted are not revealed by man. Only God can reveal Spirit things.

Alive-to-God - also good. You mentioned in Rom 8:13... Just HOW does He show us this? And what IS putting on the new man? How can the rest of us do this? -good thoughts

My friend, Elected - You're on a good track. This is where I was only a couple of years ago in progression to where our Lord has brought me so far. So keep going and listening to the leading! I think your idea of "flesh" is still acts of sins carried out through the body. This is not the case. "flesh" is not watching too much Baywatch or eating too much chocolate! Ha, I wish! These are rather the symptoms of the actual, deeper, problem on a spiritual level. Flesh is not the deeds of the body but from where these deeds come. It is as well our hateful nature and where every thought comes from that would exalt itself above God. God made a way, man tries to Sanctify self in a different way other than what God prescribed. THAT is flesh.

Also, you mentioned about cleansing one's self. How will the rest of us do this? How have you cleansed yourself so far?

See what I mean? These topics are barely addressed in our churches. We have many sick among us that are too weak to make it. They are behind on an old gravel road somewhere. But if they don't get frustrated in their Faith and give it up, God someday will come to them and speak to them and tell them that HE Loves them personally.

Ginnyrose - Hello again, how are you? I see your questions. Might I ask some of the others to put to use what we have been discussing? I'll watch as we go. If no one answers, I may come back with what the Lord has built in me so far. But please, you all are free to post.

God has used a very small list of ministries online, some old people (gotta love them), maybe two peers, a short list of teachers and the church that I am currently at to continually speak and develop the Truth He has invested in pathetic me. Live study topics like Covenant and Law vs Spirit (Grace) and hearing from God for yourself have helped much.

The Spirit Walk literally is My Faith(Christ and Him Crucified) in God's Plan and a denial of trying to clean myself up. It is Grace as the answer to putting down sin. Not Law of, "thou shalt not..." and "you know that's wrong..."

amen, hope you all to be blessed! Bro Shawn.

2010/11/1 22:50Profile
passerby

Re:

Holiness is the absolute absence of evil in one's inclination, thoughts, and actions.

Holiness is purer than being righteous, blameless, or sinless, these are but relative terms with respect to the different dispensation of God's dealing with moral beings.

2010/11/3 0:56Profile
Compton

Re:

"Why is it important that we submit to employer?

My understanding: Your submission to your employer demonstrates to your employer about your faith."

One subtle but important caveat to this idea of "submission to employer". As an employer I am finding that concepts like "submission", "compliance" and obedience" can often be overstated when what employers may really need is imagination, initiative and emotional enthusiasm. I suspect the 20th century Christian concept of "submission" may in fact be more informed by the 20th century concept of industrial labor, then from 1st century scripture. I think its important to note that a self-annihilating concept of obedience can actually make a sincerely submissive Christian more frustrating to an employer then a slightly defiant unbeliever.

20 years ago the metaphor for business was "the machine" which was engineered for heartless efficiency. (Sadly, I think many churches borrowed that metaphor, wherein a Christian is not valuable for who he is, but how he produces.) Now we are in a new post industrial economy, were increasingly businesses are being asked to solve less algorithmic and more creative problems. These creative problems don't get solved by mere submission; they require imagination, optimism, determination, opinions, wills and egos.

As a result many businesses are being forced to question the metaphor of the efficient machine, and instead opt for the metaphor of the inspirational inventor or artist. Such a business requires everyone from top down to selflessly contribute freely their emotional and creative labor without worrying how to quantify everything for trade. "Submission to authority" just doesn't cut it like it used to.

To an employee or a business looking to prove their value in the post-industrial marketplace, Paul's career advice "Servants, obey in all things them that are your masters according to the flesh; not with eye-service, as men-pleasers, but in singleness of heart, fearing the Lord:", may need to be enhanced with the emotional and creative generosity of the Sermon on the Mount, "And whosoever shall compel thee to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away."

(unedited for clarity;)

MC

2010/11/3 1:46Profile
passerby

Re:

The word holy as applied to God also denotes His grandeur, majesty, eminence. His being worthy of awe and reverence. His state of being separate and above all things, power, personalities, and principalities.

The word holy as applied to things and places denotes being consecrated, or having especial presence or manifestations of God.

The word holy as applied to Christians denotes being separate from the world, of being redeemed and consecrated to the service and glory of God. To his pursuit against sin in his desires, thoughts, and actions. To the pursuit of the fruit of the Holy spirit in his character or inclinations

2010/11/3 3:32Profile

Re:

To be holy is to be like Jesus and to walk as He walked before His Father.
Be ye holy; for I am holy” (I Peter 1:15-16).

And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.
Leviticus 20:26

"Severed" from "other" people. Implied meaning is severed from unholy people and unholy influences.

Satan says the opposite, "Ye shall be putrid unto me; for I, Beelzubub am putrid and have mingled you with all kinds of people and evil, that ye should be mine".

Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate,
saith the Lord, And touch no unclean thing; And I will receive you, And will be to you a Father, And ye shall be to me sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
2Cor 6:17-18

He won't receive us if we don't come out from evil, if we do not walk in holiness.

So, we either sanctify ourselves or putrify ourselves. Depends on who our master is. But it is something that we do.

Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I [am] the LORD your God.

Putrify yourselves therefore, and be ye putrid for I [am] the lord your god.

Gives a little different meaning when you look at it from Satan's point of view, eh?

Sanctify is a verb having the same meaning as the adjective "holy". To come out and be separate, nothing to do with feelings.

We are to "turn" from sin and this is to be experienced daily. We have a walk to walk. We have had righteousness imputed to us, but we are to walk in and experience holiness, so that we may be perfected in love.

When the Believer has the hope of Christ's return, where we expect to "be like Him", what does John say is the Believer's response? "And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." (1Jn3:3)

The word "purify" is also a verb; a word of -action-. No, God does -NOT- "accept us JUST AS WE ARE"! Those who proclaim that doctrine and have deceived many will have -much- to answer before God! But our goal is to be a "glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish." (Eph5:27)

If your garment (life) has wrinkles in it, iron it. If it has spots, wash it.

Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

2010/11/3 12:19
knitefall

Re:

AMEN!

Some of you have Light that is worth mentioning. I hope our viewers do see that most of this Church Body still operates in an old Cov't mindset. Thinking that Being Holy is a work on our part. Thinking that "turning" from sin mean "I decide what sins I will do and what sins I will have will power over to not fall into." And then when that fails, we decide to do good works to cover up for failing God in our law of, "I'm NOT going to do that sin today..." That's law and when you place yourself under law, You WILL fail! See?

He set us free from the law, to the point that we do not have to worry about Sanctifying ourselves.

To turn from sin means to deny self's power and reckon yourself HIDDEN -IN- Jesus. Anything else is The Sin to God's eyes.

Must eat lunch and share more later- love you all.

2010/11/3 13:40Profile

Re:

Quote:
To turn from sin means to deny self's power and reckon yourself HIDDEN -IN- Jesus. Anything else is The Sin to God's eyes.

kniteall, what I just quoted from you is "doing something". To turn, to deny self and even to reckon is "doing something".

The Holy Spirit uses all His Word, OT and NT, and when He uses the OT Word, He applies it in a NT way (way of grace) and Believers that have the Holy Spirit should be able to understand that the Lord is not bringing them under the law. The OT and NT are not in conflict to the Spirit-filled man.

I do agree that people tend to do good works (their own) to make up for failing, if they don't know true grace (which carries responsibility and not a license to sin).

Abiding in Him is where our holiness and separatedness comes from. But abiding in Him, is doing something. When you abide in Him, you are separating yourself from sin, all sin.

Hope you get my point. I am not saying that we have a list of sins that we stay away from and a list of good works that we do.

We sanctify ourselves by "sanctifying the Lord God" in our hearts. 1 Pet 3:15

So when Isaiah say this, the Holy Spirit applies it in grace and a NT Believer knows what it means.

Isa 8:13 Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.

Lunch sounds good, later.

2010/11/3 13:53
knitefall

Re:

Yes, Pilgrim!
You get it! I agree with the NT/ OT statement, they are easy to the Believer.

I just re-listened to the 5 virgin 5 foolish message by Paul white. It's a blessing!

2010/11/3 14:26Profile
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

Quote:
Also, you mentioned about cleansing one's self. How will the rest of us do this? How have you cleansed yourself so far?

Hi Shawn, i was quoting Scripture not commenting about cleansing one's self.

2 Timothy 2:21-21 says, "Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house,ready for every good work."

Paul was writing to Timothy who was ministering at Ephesus and there were some heretical teachers in Ephesus like Hymeneus and Philetus and their followers who were vessels of dishonour from such ones a genuine christians need to seperate themselves from heretical teachings and not to be yoked with the wicked men and take heed of their way, doctrine and walk with God.

As for the flesh that you mentioned in your post, in our context is the carnal nature that is in the total opposite of the spiritual nature in us. The mind of the flesh is enmity with God. There is no remidy for the flesh but to be crusified with its passions and desires. I found a list of the workks of the flesh online that include the attitudes and the actions of the flesh:

"Adultery, an evil eye, anger, backbiter, blasphemer, boaster, covenant breaker, covetous, debater, deceiver, despiser of those that are good, despiteful, disobedient, disobedient to parents, drunks, emulations, envious, evil concupiscence, evil thoughts, false accuser, fierce, filthy communication, foolish, fornications, hater of God, hating one another, heady, heresies, highminded, idolaters, implacable, incontinent, inordinate affection, inventors of evil things, lasciviousness, lovers of pleasures, lovers of their own selves, maliciousness, malignity, murder, proud, revellings, seditions, serving various lusts and pleasures, sorcerers, strife, thefts, traitors, trucebreakers, unclean, unholy, unmerciful, unrighteousness, unthankful, variance, whisperers, wickedness, witchcraft, without natural affection, without understanding, and finally, wrath."

Left to ourselves we are sinful and wrechted creatures. How can i save myself from flesh and all it includes? Impossible isnt it? We know that and only remedy is not by works but by faith in the finished work of Jesus and his person too. And living in the Spirit is possible only by faith and walking in the Spirit is the logical conclusion of a faithful believer who not only believes but obeys the word of God in his daily life.

Doing comes out of being. If we are not in Christ, we are spiritually dead and our self-righteous works are like filthy rags before the sight of God. When i talk of personal holiness, i mean the work of the Holy Spirit in us and thru us, to make us christlike more and more each day.

Blessings
Redi

P. S. - Edited

2010/11/3 14:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy