SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hymns on CD?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
todd

California

Hymns on CD?

I have been wanting to hear some good hymns for awhile now but don't know where is a good place to find them. Like I would love to listen to the kind of stuff Tozer and Ravenhill listened to. Is this kind of stuff available on CD? There is so many different "hymn" cd's out there but I don't know how to choose. I would really love to hear some good old Methodist hymns. I got a Methodist hymnbook but don't know how the songs are supposed to be sung and I can't read music or anything. So the words are wonderful, but I kind of just make up the tune.

I also remember Ravenhill saying something about how TOzer would spend something like an hour every day listening to some classical music. And he especially liked Chopin or something. Anyone know more about this subject?

2003/9/2 12:56Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re: Hymns on CD?

Todd, I found this site. It has the lyrics as well as MIDI files from The United Methodist Hymnal. I hope it helps you. :)
[url=http://gbgm-umc.org/UMhistory/Wesley/hymns/]Charles Wesley's Hymns[/url]

2003/9/2 15:25Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Hymns on CD?

Quote:
I have been wanting to hear some good hymns for awhile now but don't know where is a good place to find them. Like I would love to listen to the kind of stuff Tozer and Ravenhill listened to. Is this kind of stuff available on CD?

Todd, to tell you the truth this has been a huge struggle with me. I have searched high and low for good vintage hymns like the ones ravenhill or tozer would listen too and so far I have come up quite empty. I am desiring to get good hymns onto this site. If anyone can help at all that would be awesome.

2003/9/2 17:13Profile
Koinonia2

USA

Re:

I've never heard them myself, but I have heard the hymn CDs put out by Bob Jones University highly recommended. Not sure if they would have the kind of songs you are looking for.

I too would greatly appreciate having good, quality, uplifting hymns available on CD.

2003/9/3 5:30Profile

Re:

Here is a site that has ALOT of hymns. It's called the Cyber Hymnal. They have over 4300 hymns of the past plus midi files of the tunes so you can learn the melodies.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/

I would like to interject a thought here about hymns. I personally love old hymns and have found them very comforting at times in my life. However, I also feel that most hymns are inappropriate for "corporate" worship. They are written and structured around individualist thoughts and although true are not suitable for a collective setting. Hymns that make statement like Jesus "my" Savior etc. and use words like me, myself, and I, do not convey the collective sentiments that should be expressed corporately. The only hymnals I have ever seen address this issue rightly are the "Little Flock" hymnals of the Plymouth Brethren. You might think I am straining at gnats here but I really don't think so. If we are gathered with a group of believers all worshiping the Lord how can we use expressions like me, myself and I? It is "us" and "we". This individualistic thinking lowers the purpose of God down to "me" the individual instead of seeing ourselves as part of something bigger and collective; moving towards the eternal purpose of God, which is never individual but collective. Even when God has taken up individuals in the Bible it has always been with the collective and corporate in view. To sing songs that re-enforce this continues to damage the Church instead of elevating it. From God's perspective we are not just so many individuals coming together BUT a collective unit worshipping as "one"! Just my 2 cents worth!

BTW I am in no way saying that the thoughts and sentiments in Wesley's songs, or anyone else’s for that matter, are not true but just on a much far lower plane than we should be when collectively worshipping. They are fine for "private" devotions just not for "public" worship, except perhaps at a gospel preaching meeting.

Kevin

2003/9/3 11:44
todd

California

Re:

Thanks everyone. I am sad to see that no one has yet told of any CD's available to buy. The MIDI files are pretty cool but don't really help me because I don't know where to start singing and how the words are supposed to flow with the music.

So let's continue the search. I hope something comes up.

I would think that the same type of people that have continued to reprint old books would figure out a way to make the old hymns available.

2003/9/3 15:40Profile

Re:

Quote:
MIDI files are pretty cool but don't really help me because I don't know where to start singing and how the words are supposed to flow with the music

Todd,
If you take the time to download the midi files that will fit the meter of a particualr hymn, and listen closely, you can learn the melody. I usually put my player in "repeat" mode and listen closely until I think I know the melody. Then I will try and sing along. It takes a little practice but this is a good way to learn various "tunes". Also, Hymns are constructed like poetry. In other words they have meter. Once you know a meter to a particular Hymn ANY tune that has that meter can be used. It does not have to be the one published in the hymnal. I have found that singing Hymns to different and various tunes can breath new life into a hymn that has been sung to the same melody for too many years! Plymouth Brethren hymnals have NO music only the words of the Hymns and what meter the hymn is composed in. This allows for spontaneity in tune starting and great variety. It takes time and effort to learn tunes and I am always trying to add to my brains database, but it is well worth it!

As for CDs to buy there have been many many Hymn CDs produced over the years. Unfortunately there is very little variety as to the Hymns selected.

If you have a Methodist Hymnal look at the top of the hymnal you will find the name of the "tune". If you know the name of the tune you can then use the cyberhymnal website to locate the midi file for that tune and sing along till your heart's content!

Kevin

2003/9/3 15:59
markso

Horsham, Australia

Re:

There are a series of CD's called the Hymn Makers. There are approximately a dozen of so hymns on the cd at quite a good price. Hymns by Wesley, Fannie Crosby, Newton and Ira Sankey are just a couple that I can think of. I have a had look on the web and cannot find a main website. It is interesting that this post has arisen because I am myself trying to locate CD's of the Psalms being sung in metre. As stupid as this sounds, I normally whenever I am trying to locate something along these lines (or really anything), I use Google and type in "Scottish psalms" or similar and then wade through the results.

2003/9/3 20:53Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
I am myself trying to locate CD's of the Psalms being sung in metre

I have two tapes that were given to me, they are from a meeting/conference for an Eastern Orthodox church, I believe. The speaker is a man by the name of Thomas Hopko...anyway, at one point there is a women singing the psalms, at first I thought it was strange, but as I listened I found it to be beautiful...This may be normative for this type of setting, but since you brought it up I thought I would share. It would be neat to find something like this as you stated....might have to do some digging...

2003/9/4 1:05Profile
todd

California

Re:

I found this great site that has tons of Methodist hymns and when you select one you are brought to a page with the lyrics and it's automatically playing the tune for you. Here it is:

http://www.fsumc.org/audio/music/hymns/number.html

Although this is great. I still am hoping something will come up where they have a congregation singing these songs on CD.

2003/9/4 12:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy