SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ministerial Papers?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Ministerial Papers?

How many of you hold ministerial papers..of some sort?

I attend a Non-denominational church, and am actively involved in Ministry. However, I do not hold papers of any sort.

Going to school is out of the question, (I'm in my mid 40's).

I guess what I'm asking is what do each of you feel about having papers...or a license to preach?

Thanks,

Mark

2004/11/2 9:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Ministerial Papers?

Quote:
I guess what I'm asking is what do each of you feel about having papers...or a license to preach?

I am not a pastor at all. But I am going to Calvary Chapel Bible College for 2 years (God willing) and its non-accredited. In this movement you can be a pastor without having any creditionals at all, they even state in their "distinctives" that having an phd and other theological training can be a hindrance in your service to God in Calvary Chapels. I personally believe there are no papers needed at all to be a minister of Christ, no man can call you to this, God MUST. I have been attending a presbyterian church for the last 7 years that you could not speak from the pulpit unless you had a theological phd, how sad, I guess Jesus wouldn't be able to speak that congregation either.

2004/11/2 10:00Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

Well, like you, I certainly believe that if God calls a person to the Ministry, then that settles it.
However, my son is going to Bible College right now, and sometimes I wish I had done the same years ago. I say "sometimes" because to tell you the truth, I have mixed feelings about it.

I guess at times I wonder, if having papers would help me in any way. I've seen websites where you can get papers, but I am not familiar with these, and for that matter, can't seem to find them at the moment.

Thanks for the response!

2004/11/2 10:27Profile
Am_Lovin_HIM

Phoenix, Arizona

Re:

Greg, what comes to mind as I read your statement,

"I personally believe there are no papers needed at all to be a minister of Christ, no man can call you to this, God MUST."

Why do men lay aside the commandments of God for the doctrines of men? We are all called, it is the doctrines of men which tell us we have to have papers. I admire all who take a stand and preach the Word in season and out.
God bless you brother

2004/11/2 11:03Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

I hold none.

I recall a story told about a preacher in Ireland. He was being heckled by the local priest who said he had no right to preach because he was not an 'ordained man'.

"Yes, I am." said the preacher
"Who ordained you" said the priest
"the 'bishop of all souls'", said the preacher (1Pet 2:25) :-P

2004/11/2 11:09Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I have papers, they say...

foolish thing, weak thing, base thing, thing which is not :-P

In Christ,

Ron

2004/11/2 11:34Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Calvary Chapel does provide a means by which men can be trained up to serve God. It is both affordable and convenient. I know of a brother in another denomination, where he seeks to be established as an ordained minister. The burden of finance is great on his family.

In my short time as a Christian I have experienced the lording over of men on one another. I have experienced the striving for paid positions. I have experienced the striving to be recognized as a pursuit amongst men. I too have been part of that miserable process. My pursuits in my flesh leave a bitter taste. There is nothing good that comes from this type of striving. This striving is common in today's church. We serve from a hypocritical faith.

Papers and degrees are the sum of the trappings of this world. There are faithful servants with this paper and there are faithful servants without. Let the Lord decide for you in the way you should go.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/11/2 12:06Profile
jeremyhulsey

Mark,

I'm working on my credentials right now. I've chosen to get mine via correspondance courses and they're not as easy as I first thought they would be but I'm saving about 30-40 thousand dollars.

Holding papers is not as important as getting proper Biblical training. Bible school is profitable and even necessary for church leaders where the school remains faithful to the Lord. By necessary I mean that for a man of God who pastors a church or evangelizes, learning the Scriptures will be a life-long process that Bible school can greatly benefit.

Quote:
Going to school is out of the question, (I'm in my mid 40's).

Don't let that stop you. I'm 32, and during the time I spent in Bible College I met many over the age of 40 and some in their 50's.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/11/2 12:25Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Paul speaks of in 2 Cor 3:1-5 of letters of commendation, or what perhaps we would call a preaching license. Paul says in v. 2 that the Corinthian church itself is his letter of commendation, for all the world to read.

One does not need a preachers license. If you are called to preach by God, then that is all you need. However, it can be nice to be affirmed by the body of Christ in such a way that they in might some official way recognize your call to ministry.

The early Church though it did not require credintials to minister, did have an informal licensing program of sorts. It was for ministers being sent by the local church to another Church, such as when Phoebe in Romans 16:1 was sent to Rome, she came with a letter of recommendation of sorts.

There are other such examples in the Scriptures, but I think this will suffice.

2004/11/2 12:30Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

I certainly want to study and learn more.
Although raised in Church, I always want to learn more.
College is out of the question mainly because of finances and committments. (not really my age)

Your responses have been very encouraging.

Currently, I lead a Christ Centered Addictive Recovery group at our Church. We meet twice a week...plus we are involved in outreach ministries to the community. Your prayers, and any comments or suggestions are very welcome.

Thank God for you all..and this wonderful site!

Mark

2004/11/2 12:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy